Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2020, 09:48 PM   #1

Garage
Weird remote access/key issues

Sheesh, where do I start with this? Sit back, maybe get a drink, this is going to go on for a bit.

In 2017 I bought this 1999 base Boxster. It's been really great and has made for some superfun trips and provided some great memories, and overall has been a high-performance, low-maintenance fun machine, excelling at keeping my mid-life crisis at bay and helping me overlook the fact that we're all specks of meaninglessness, destined to die in a boundless, indifferent universe.

I bought this Boxster from a low-rent D-bag who was kinda nice in a general way, but had done nothing to rectify the history of benign neglect this car had suffered all down the line. I had fun for a few weeks with super-easy high-payoff no-brainer projects like replacing burnt out bulbs, windshield wiper blades, and trunk lift supports. The car is low-mileage and basically mechanically perfect, and the only remaining problem is that the seller told me he thought the keyless remote was just out of batteries while in fact the remote didn't have any guts at all. I haven't worried much about it as I never lock the car, even if I'm leaving it at the airport for a week. There's nothing in there to steal, and I guess I don't want anybody cutting the roof open to find that out. Seems like the biggest danger in that scenario is that a thief might not take care to close the door all the way and the battery would die while I'm away, but that hasn't happened.

But someday, I may want to sell it, maybe, and I'll want to be able to sell it with two working keyless remotes so that I don't come off like a low-rent D-bag with a cheesy story about dead batteries while hoping a buyer overlooks that one-out-of-a-hundred things to remember to check on while trying not to wet his pants all excited about buying his first Boxster. All this time, I've been living on the edge with only one working key: this is part of the mid-life crisis program, to remind me of when I used to take actual chances that my current lifestyle doesn't otherwise allow.

Other oddities in the history of this car and its keys: When I got the car, I couldn't lock it by any means- the key did nothing in the doors. I had a locksmith reverse-pick the door lock to make keys that work in the doors manually, but don't have anything to do with the ignition. These keys also work in the armrest glove compartment. I once had a shop cut a key blade that was prescribed to the VIN of the car, and it came out looking nothing like the key that worked in the ignition, and it didn't turn the ignition and so had no prayer of starting the car. I ordered two remote fobs and blank key blades from www.keylessremotewarehouse.com and the blades were too fat to fit in the ignition. I filed one blade down to the right thickness so it would fit in the tumbler and had the pattern copied from the working blade, and it would turn the ignition, but no dealer would get near these keys to program them.

So I went to the Porsche dealer and told them this story, and they ordered two keyless entry fobs and blades ($500+) and when they came in a few weeks ago, I went and sat around the shop for half a day in the end they told me they couldn't make it happen: nobody there could figure it out and their key savant wasn't there that day. So today I went back when their key savant was there and they still couldn't make it happen. The objective was that I would come away with at least two keys that would work to unlock the car remotely (even though the lock cylinders do not match the ignition) AND start the car: this didn't seem like too big of an ask for $500-$600 dollars (plus programming fees). At the very least I had hoped to come away with two keys that would start the car, even if they wouldn't work as keyless entry remotes.

The service guy (perfectly nice guy) ends up tellng me today, after another few hours of working on it, "Nope, can't happen." They are only able to program ONE key at a time to run the car. He told me that they probably wouldn't be able to make more than one key work at a time and they think there is some unknown problem with the immobilizer- that it won't allow there to be more than one key at a time that can be programmed to start the car. I don't get why that would be, but that's what he said. And he said that they won't be able to make ANY key fob work to lock or unlock the car remotely. He said they checked the VIN and saw that this car was not configured to support keyless entry- AT ALL. He said it had never been able to be locked or unlocked remotely with a fob.

Number One, is that really so? Did they really sell these cars, even in 1999, without keyless entry? Could be they did, but that was surprising to me. And if they did, and this is a known thing, it seems like, Number Two, the first thing the dealer should do- before ordering $500+ of keys and fobs- is run the VIN to see if the fobs will in fact work before putting 5+ hours into trying to make them work. In fact, I think that in the end, the dealer will make good on this and not ask me to eat $500+ of keys/fobs that can't possibly be made to work for this car, but it seems like they should have made sure the car had remote entry capability before investing all this time in it.

He didn't go into more detail on the particulars of that point, but told me it would be $1,500 + $1,000 to get a new immobilizer and install it in order to get two keys to work. On a $9,000 car, I'm looking at $3,000 to go from having one working key to having two working keys (but no remote access) so maybe that doesn't make sense.

The Carfax history tells me this poor car had a troubled youth at first: it had the transmission out twice in its first year to allow for some ancillary repair, and had the ignition replaced twice in the first two years for some reason- screwdrivered? But it also tells me: "Anti-theft/keyless remotes replaced." How could that be if it didn't have the capability for keyless entry? I showed that part of the Carfax history to the service guy (perfectly nice guy) and he told me that was probably a general category that gets chosen by whoever is doing the service report that Carfax later picks up on, but is not necessarily accurate. Really? Maybe.

So, my questions for the hive mind: Does anybody know if in fact Porsche sold Boxsters in 1999 that did not allow for the possibility of remote entry? The car was made in Finland, purchased on the east coast somewhere.

And, does the mystery immobilizer issue sound familiar to anybody here? I have had no other quirks/mysteries/issues with the car, like any of the many weird immobilizer issues I have read about here.

I don't think the service guy (perfectly nice guy) is making stuff up or bluffing, but it could be that he's a little lost or grasping at straws kind of the way I am, and just wants to get to the end of the day without getting in trouble. I, however, hope to someday end up with two working keys and remotes for this car, but am not sure if there's a way to get there from here. Does anybody see a way to get there?

Thanks for hanging in there with a too-long story, but- what the hell- should it be *this* hard to get keys made for a car? I'm glad for the anti-theft system, but I'm approaching the point where it would be easier if the car got stolen and I had to start fresh.

Everybody likes pictures, so I will include a shot of the car, and of the Carfax report.

Last edited by MikeMcMo; 09-24-2020 at 11:22 PM.
MikeMcMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:15 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Do you have the option code decal under the front trunk lid?

Sounds to me like someone changed lock cylinders at some point. One thing you could possibly do is an immobilizer/ECU/cluster/key swap.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 09:43 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
Do you have the option code decal under the front trunk lid?

Sounds to me like someone changed lock cylinders at some point. One thing you could possibly do is an immobilizer/ECU/cluster/key swap.
Wow, that sounds like a complicated surgery, like the Whipple Procedure... Yes, it seems the lock cylinders were changed, if not once, twice.

Yes, I have the option decal. Using decoder from:

https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/option-codes/986-99/

XLA Polished stainless steel exhaust end
236 ??
413 18" 993 Turbo-look wheels, front 7.5" ET50 with 225/40 tyres, rear 9" ET52 with 265/35 tyres
424 CD compartment
437 8-way electrical seat, left
438 8-way electrical seat, right
490 Sound system (6 speakers)
498 Without model designation on rear end
502 Produced at Valmet plant in Uusikaupunki, Finland
537 Seat memory, left
696 ??
981 Leather dashboard and door panels
982 Pleated leather seats
Attached Images

Last edited by MikeMcMo; 09-25-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:45 PM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
My 1999s showed "M535" on the option tag. That's "Anti-theft lock 315 MHz". My '97 does not have remote locking and does not have the "M535" option listed.

I think that the tech is correct and your car never had it.
The 696 option is "Porsche CDR 220 Radio, USA". I don't know the 236.

I may be able to help. I have an engineless '98 Boxster parts car with a DME, immobilizer (M535 version) box, and key fob that I want to test. Next week I might find time to pull it out of the parts car and try it all in my '97. If that makes the remote locking work in the '97, you could probably do a similar swap in your car. I'll report back after I give it a try.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:26 AM   #5

If your car has a M531 alarm contol modul under the drivers seat, the remote control was an optional modul and an option.

If your car has a M535 alarm control module under the drivers seat, the remote control was standard from the factory.

If you have a M535 alarm control module, you can learn 4 keys with transponders to the car. All keys can have remote function.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:41 AM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
When I got a look at the key fob from the parts car, I found that it was empty and did not have the remote locking electronics inside, so I couldn't test it.

As Markus noted, the M531 and M535 modules differ in that the standard M531 box does not have the remote locking function.

Looking at the factory service manual, and my various cars, it seems that the wiring harness to the module changed in 2001. The 2000 and earlier cars have the remote locking antenna wired into the main connector. The antenna on the 2001 and later cars is a separate connection.

If your connector has a heavy wire to pin one and a ground shielding wire to pin 22 (they join together in a black sheath), then I expect that your harness can support an M535 module from 2000 or earlier. (Note my signature for disclaimer)
Old 10-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #7

Garage
Thanks for your replies, 78F350 and Smallblock454. Very helpful. Thanks for the extra research, picture, and info, 78F350.

It turns out I have the M531, so no remote control standard from the factory.

But from what you two say together, I can't tell how much trouble it would be to make the locks work remotely. Smallblock454, when you say "the remote control was an optional modul and an option" does that mean it can be added to the M531 without swapping out the M531 for the M535? 78F350, you make it sound like I would have to swap out the whole unit. I don't know how much trouble that is, and for all the threads about people with alarm problems, I'm reluctant to swap out the whole module. Would be great if it was just an add-on, but it doesn't sound like it is.

Seems funny that I have power locks that can only be activated from the dash button and nowhere else. Hard to imagine a situation where you're in an open convertible and locking the doors makes any kind of difference. It supports the function where you can unlock both doors with one key, but since you're 99% of the way to the goal line, just make it work remotely! I was surprised to find out that Porsche made cars then without the remote locking option at all. But then, this is the barebones model, and I don't even have cruise control. I myself wouldn't use the feature much but would someday like to hand the car down to somebody in way better shape than how I took it on, as it was meant to be.

78F350, thanks for the clue on the 696 option- updated in my notes..