Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2020, 05:39 PM   #1

Frunk not opening all the time

I just recently acquired a 2002 boxster S and I absolutely love the car but one issue so far with it is the frunk will not open half the time. I’ve noticed when I press the frunk button on the key fob if it doesn’t work, it will instead unlock the doors. I have also tried opening it from the interior and that will not work either. Keep in mind this is the updated model with the electronic frunk/trunk buttons by the drivers seat.

I’ve searched this all over online and haven’t found any definitive answer to my problem. Anyone else have this issue? Does it need a new frunk motor? What else?

Ohtwo986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:52 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohtwo986S View Post
I just recently acquired a 2002 boxster S and I absolutely love the car but one issue so far with it is the frunk will not open half the time. I’ve noticed when I press the frunk button on the key fob if it doesn’t work, it will instead unlock the doors. I have also tried opening it from the interior and that will not work either. Keep in mind this is the updated model with the electronic frunk/trunk buttons by the drivers seat.

I’ve searched this all over online and haven’t found any definitive answer to my problem. Anyone else have this issue? Does it need a new frunk motor? What else?
I had same issue on my 2001 Boxster with electronic frunk opening system.
Repair was to replace the frunk opening actuator - new unit from Porsche at the price of about 70€. I don't recommend to buy a used part for this.
The electronic motor on the actuator heats up due to old age (dirt, tired electronics, etc) and does not work when warm.
This is easy change, but requires frunk to be open for the job. The swap from old to new actuator took me about 20 minutes.
Old 09-20-2020, 12:08 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Also second replacing the actuator. Had the same issue a few years ago.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #4
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
This issue has started with mine as well. I could hear the actuator engaging but the hood wouldn’t pop up to get my hand in to release the secondary catch. I finally got my fingers under while hitting the release button and finally opened. Some lubrications of all the parts seems to have fixed things for now but I’m going to order the parts and get it fixed.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:13 PM   #5

Thanks for the help. I’ll spray some wd40 on the mechanism for now and order the part after. I couldn’t find it on pelican parts though.

Also... why does this forum show threads in backwards chronological order?
Ohtwo986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohtwo986S View Post

Also... why does this forum show threads in backwards chronological order?
User CP>Edit Options>Thread Display Options

Actuator is #996-511-127-00
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #7

Garage
I second the actuator replacement. When you do get it open, relocate the emergency trunk opener cable from the passenger side headlight To the tow hook access panel on the front bumper. That way it can be opened manually. There are YouTube videos on the procedure.
Blackcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:53 PM   #8

I have the same issue with my 2002 that I just got. I bought a new actuator and it was not the issue. Turns out the relay that was mounted in the trunk under the tub was not always closing the connection. If I tapped on it the trunk would then open 2 or 3 times before stopping again.
subieworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:41 PM   #9

Sounds like an actuator replacement may be what you need, @Ohwo986s

Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59K7yBvQ06I

Drywall is offline   Reply With Quote