Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2020, 05:30 PM   #1
Will there be cake?

Garage
convertible top manual back to power

OK guys...a year ago my top had an issue, snapped a control rod end and I converted to manual.

Today, I decided that I will restore the power function and looked for the root cause. here is what I found:

the passenger side cable is wasted where it connects to the motor, just twisted off the end, which leads to one side lift and the other side not, twist and the control arm breaks.

my question is this...did the transmission on the passenger side fail, seizing up and trashing the cable? (why else am I seeing a 150.00 plastic gear for sale?) or is it likely that the cable gave up the ghost? The other side looks perfect.

polling the audience out there...how many of you have seen, experienced or heard of the transmission gear failing, instead of the cable failing? I'm not paying stupid money for the gear and will use one of the 3d prints or metal hacks I see on eBay if this is a common cause.

talk to me.

tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #2

In the last year, about a year apart, both of the of the transmission cables failed on my convertible top. There was nothing wrong with either of the transmissions. In my experience I'm of the opinion that cables after many years just fail.
Old 09-16-2020, 06:56 PM   #3

I had a transmission gear fail, and thus went manual. Found both sides on eBay for $200. Transmissions, cables, and motor just in case. There are deals to be had.
outsidetheboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:19 PM   #4

My passenger side gear failed. The top worked for a while but began getting jerky and finally would get stuck. I bought a pair of gears and replaced both sides. The grease in the transmissions was hard. After new gears regressed everything and realignment the top works as it left the factory. Well worth the effort imo
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #5

Chances are your trans is OK. Porsche tends to build other things in the system to be weaker and they break first. YMMV.

If it was me, I'd replace both arms, as they twist easily and see if that solves your problems. Had on 09 Box S a cpl yrs ago that had a broken plastic end on the pass side (and a bent arm). Replaced that arm but the clamshell wouldn't close flush. Turns out the driver's side arm was bent but not enough to crack the plastic end off.

Here's the driver's side next to the replacement pass side.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:59 PM   #6
Will there be cake?

Garage
Excellent feedback from all. I have the new cable and new ends for the push rods. I’ll inspect the transmission and hope for some love from the stuggart gods. Updates on success or failure coming.
Stay tuned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #7

Garage
Don't waste time buying used transmissions. Your plastic gears will be cracked no doubt at this age they all are. Go to ebay and buy the two metal gears and replace when you take your transmission apart. One and done.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:02 PM   #8

Not sure what year Boxster you have. Older ones have a different transmission than newer ones. The older ones have 1/2 moon driven gear and all metal gears internally and also have a microswitch in the B-pillar. Newer ones have plastic full gears and the microswitch built into the transmission.

Anyways, I have the older style transmission and the gears were in great shape. I re-greased everything and put it back together. After following the service manual instructions properly (and some support from this here forum posts) I was able to get it all working great again.

Not sure if that helps out. But anyways, I'd start with the arms and cable inspections before I went chasing down the transmissions as well.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #9
Will there be cake?

Garage
Ok, sorry. This is a 2001. I checked the trannys and gears look ok, the right cable is seized up and shredded. I tried to twist the good end with a drill and it just fell apart. New ends for the push bars and new cable gets me back to power top, I think. I’ll know next week after the ups guy comes with my boxes. decided to replace the canvas as well, that’s a day long project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk