Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2020, 08:44 AM   #1

Headlights from Czech Republic

I would like to swap out the original amber headlights on my 2001 BoxsterS for clear versions, and looking on eBay for what is available. I am in Australia, so RHD versions only.

I came across what looks like a clean set, which are manufactured in the Czech Republic rather than Germany, as my originals are. The question I have is whether the Czech versions are the same quality? Do I give them a wide birth, or purchase with confidence?

Regards from Perth

Derek

derekcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:20 PM   #2
A Porsche Guy

Porsche had different OEM headlight suppliers throughout the cycle of the 986. Czech Republic headlights are fine. Some Halogens were made there (I have it). The Litronics were actually made in Czech Repubilc and those retail over $2,000 (i have that too). You'll be fine.

The only thing I have to say is that LHD and RHD headlights have different beam angles so make sure you get your RHD. The LHD are adjustable and you'll notice the white marker next to the lens to differentiate LHD or RHD beside the part #. I made the mistake once buying RHD but that turn into a small profit. You want to make sure the headlight have the rubber seal trim around it if you're paying the price for it. Otherwise you'll have to look for the suggestion here to apply your own seal.

Porsche does not sell that piece separately. If you're buying the headlights separately you'll want to match it's age as closely as possible. I've changed my headlights out several times because the other one looked a little older than the other.

If you're a pro like some of these guys here who can easily crack open a headlight then your sky is the limit.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 09-10-2020 at 05:04 PM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote