Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 06:53 AM   #1

Potential Boxster S Concerns

I'm looking to add a Boxster to go along with my 914 and came across a 2000 Boxster S for sale. Its pretty cheap at $3k because it is currently not running due to water under the drivers seat getting to the ECU (probably the immobuliser based on my research) and in need of rear window/top replacement. Carfax report is clean but not sure of the actual mileage (assuming the ECU problem is preventing the odometer on the dash from working?). Unfortunately its not local to me to go see but is close enough a short road trip to trailer it back if I opt to go for it. The pics look great with no visible damage to the body but the seats do need to be recovered.

So, I'm trying to determine if the "unknowns" are worth the risk and was curious to see what thoughts members of this board think.

sharper410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 07:53 AM   #2

This is probably a silly question considering the condition it's in, but are there any maintenance receipts? That can tell you a lot if there are (and I guess a lot if there aren't).

A bad top on a Box sitting outside is a prime candidate for a flooded ECU, so that might be the only problem. However, since it doesn't run, you're buying a cat in a sack. Nothing wrong with that, I did it last Nov with an 87 928 (see Off Topic section - Project Lazarus for my adventure). You won't be able to see the top of the engine since you won't be able to get the car into service mode. You'll want to see if there are any oil leaks underneath. If you can't even look underneath (ie, sunk in the ground), you're really buying a cat sack.

Since it is such a crap shoot, I would offer him $2500. You couldn't go wrong at that price. That's assuming the rest of the car looks OK. If there's a lot of water in the int, it may not smell very good. Can't tell that from pics.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:26 AM   #3

At 3k you could easily make your money back on a partout. Id do it
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 06:56 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Summary: I agree with Husker -
Quote:
Since it is such a crap shoot, I would offer him $2500.
I have bought lots of salvage type Boxsters. Some work out great. Some are just good for parts. Since you have a 914 I assume that you are not scared of working on your own car. When pricing a roller, always consider the price based on the parts car value. ...I just bought a car for $2,250. My price was based on a $1,800 new (uninstalled) roll cage that was included with it and assuming that the car was good for scrap other than a few high demand parts ~$1,500 to $2,000. Easy for me to store and I enjoy taking them apart.

This car got the way it is because an owner didn't care for it. Getting a $3k car back in good order could end up costing as much as buying a good, well cared for car. Good seats, replacement top, immobilizer repair or replacement, tires, all new fluids, and lapsed maintenance (window regulators?, coolant tank?, AOS?, coils?, water pump?, battery?, brakes?, shaft boots?, the whole suspension?) that list could add another $3k to $8k depending on your parts preference. ...and you still don't know if the engine and transmission are any good.

Me? I'd roll the dice at $2,500.

Last edited by 78F350; 09-07-2020 at 08:38 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #5
Who's askin'?

I'm with the others. It sounds like you're handy, it's pretty hard to get hurt at $2500. Even at 3k, you'd make your money back of worst came to worst and you had to part it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote