Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #21
Who's askin'?

Haha, I love the people who are saying that because we disagree we must never have driven one... hahaha.
So many internet experts around here. Haha.

Look: this really is a personal choice. If you've dialed-in on what makes a car fun to drive for you, then weigh the pros and cons and go drive one to be sure. Don't believe anybody who'll tell you there's no question which is better..... there clearly IS a question.

As I said: for me, between the two cars, the C5 takes 5th place.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:37 PM   #23

Oh, lol.

I dismissed that article because I assumed it was simply between the C5 and Boxster.

Good read though.
Russdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Haha, I love the people who are saying that because we disagree we must never have driven one... hahaha.
So many internet experts around here. Haha.

Look: this really is a personal choice. If you've dialed-in on what makes a car fun to drive for you, then weigh the pros and cons and go drive one to be sure. Don't believe anybody who'll tell you there's no question which is better..... there clearly IS a question.

As I said: for me, between the two cars, the C5 takes 5th place.

Might I ask what 2nd, 3rd, and 4th be Maytag?

Boxster S Boxster S and Boxster Base?
Old 09-06-2020, 03:45 PM   #25

When I was shopping for a sports car I drove a C6 6 speed, loved the car was low miles but couldn't agree on a price. Then I found my 2000S, love the car its quick really fun to drive perfect for my needs and was half the cost.

Honestly I was more comfortable in the vette, handled nice, V8 tone ect...
But The Boxster just drives like as mentioned a go cart where as the vette feels like a bruiser the Boxster felt more sophisticated.

In my opinion they are apple and oranges both fun but in different ways. My wife still wants a vette just for the look. I would love a C8 lol

Best thing to do is drive em both decide what you like best buy it and the enjoy it!

Maytag has this spot on personal choice!
Old 09-06-2020, 04:38 PM   #26
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
Might I ask what 2nd, 3rd, and 4th be Maytag?

Boxster S Boxster S and Boxster Base?
Ha!
Lemme think..... the comment was more of a "it doesn't even register..." sort of thing.
But if pressed, sub-$20k sports cars, I'd probably fill-out the other 3 with an R52S (supercharged mini cooper), maybe a subie sti or a 370z. An SLK is on the list for sure, but they're tough to find with the big motor and a manual trans. I love the Saturn sky, but it'd need a little love to get it where I want it.

Truth: right now, if I were gonna spend $15k on a car and it can't be a boxster, well, I'd build me a monster of a fiat spider, or an LS powered miata.

But I've got 7 cars floating around my place right now, with 3 drivers in the house. I'm outta room, haha.

Yesterday, when my wife told me she wants another old-skool amigo like the one I built for her 10 years ago, I asked her how many cars she thinks she wants at any given time. Her reply: "all of them. All of the cars."
I'm a very lucky man indeed. ;-)

maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:49 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Honestly, you should probably just get youself teh turbo'd Civic with some JDM stickerz. They will always be faster.

So I've heard that when you make a high horse power civic the rest of the civic doesn't like it. As in the chassis welds start to give weigh. Thats just hear say though I have no dog in that fight.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:47 PM   #28

When I was buying my first Boxster, I drove several vettes to see what I thought of them. I'm not a high HP or mods sort. It felt like a truck. I knew in a half mile it wasn't for me. But my prior sports car background was with a 1.3 and 1.6 Alfa and a 1.6 914. So I was preconditioned to want light and nimble versus raw power.

No reason you should feel the same. The cars are so different I can't offer anything objective. Drive both and see how you feel.

Last edited by mikefocke; 09-09-2020 at 10:03 AM.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:36 AM   #29

BLUF: Drive them both. Be honest with yourself about what you want in a car. The C5 will never impress people like any year Porsche, of any model.

I owned a 2004 Z06. Without a doubt, a very capable car that does everything very well. In 2009 when I bought it, and I believe still today, you will be hard pressed to buy something "better" for $17k in terms of outright performance.

The 2001-2004 C5Z is also unique in that it came in a Fixed Roof Coupe (FRC). I liked the look and still do. The pickup truck steering wheel is provided at no extra cost.

All you need to do is change the oil and maybe flush the clutch fluid reservoir. Thats it. No drama. The LS6 is bulletproof and your neighborhood shop can work on it. Or the kid next door.

For me and my heavy foot, there was too much power sometimes. The speed came too easily and it really forced you to be on your game. Which is probably true for any modern car with 300+hp but more so for 405hp and 3100lbs to push around.

At the time my daily driver was a hot hatch and I sometimes debated what was more fun in the canyons. Since the performance was so much lower in my hatch you could drive it really hard and have lots of fun.

Thats where my current base Boxster lives. Sure I wish it was an S with a manual. But I can drive it pretty hard and the speeds are reasonable-ish. Its civilized where the Z06 is a raw race car. I knew the Boxster was going to be expensive to maintain but it is what it is.

Can someone spare me some Grey Poupon?

Last edited by Rayrevolver; 09-08-2020 at 03:39 AM.
Rayrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 04:16 AM   #30
Seal1968

I agree with the others...comparing a Porsche Boxster S to a Corvette is like comparing apples to coconuts.

Totally different animals.

I say drive each and decide on your style/preference.

On a funnier note, to reply to the "arrogant" comment earlier...you can't find any YouTube vids of "Porsche Boxster Driver Fails" on the internet.

You should see how many Corvette Fails are on there. lol
Seal1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:22 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russdawg1 View Post
A car that’s encouraging you to break the law is never fantastic, but that’s definitely interesting. I’m sure it has something to do with the fact that you’re doing 100+ in 3rd gear with the C5 :O

Glad you agree that the C5 would be easier and cheaper to maintain.

If you had to take one on a 800 mile road trip, which would you pick and why?

You can factor in the fun aspects you pointed out above, or just talk about driving comfort/ease. Or both. But as you know, speed limits only go up to 70mph here in California
Well if I had a female passenger most likely the C5 for comfort & you can drive faster without scary them because you feel more of the road for better or worse in the Porsche. I bought my 2000 Boxster in Portland in 2003 & drove all the way down PCH to Manhattan Beach with my wife & that is the best drive I ever did. Another drive I drove from Dallas to Manhattan Beach in 24 hrs with only 1 hour break, if the Box fits you they are comfortable. The newer they are the more comfortable.

Last edited by BYprodriver; 09-08-2020 at 07:28 AM.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:34 PM   #32

Decided I would hop back on this forum and share some updates.

A: The Porsche Forums are 2-3, maybe 4x better than the Corvette Forum (Not LS1Tech though, those guys are legit). You guys were awesome while I had my stay here.

B: I ended up with a 2005 C6 Corvette (what? Not a C5 or a boxster?) yep. 400hp of pure driving bliss. I even got to race it during NHRA at Sonoma Raceway (twice).

Photo:

C: Thank you for everyone that sent me messages and responded to my threads. Really helped progress me to finding my car of choice (unfortunately it didn’t end up being a Porsche)

Thank you again all.

Bonus: It hasn’t been without issues, but I expected that. I had too much fun at the drag strip just under a month ago (6th week out at Sonoma Raceway) and spun a bearing. Will be throwing in a 427 Sleeved 5.3 block for a hopeful 700hp
Old 09-08-2021, 06:51 PM   #33

Good for you!
I've always had two seat roadsters but the newer Corvettes have caught my attention for many reasons. I'm glad you pulled the trigger....why not? Either you'll have a blast with it or you'll sell it and have another good data point. No harm, no foul.

My brother bought a nice stock 2006 coupe a few years ago. It was the first time I drove a corvette that I wasn't disappointed in how the car drove. It felt tight and responsive and quality seemed much better than earlier year cars.

The 'vette is on the list of cars I look at on the internet almost every night, along with P-cars, Alfas and (flame me) older Tesla model S's.

The Tesla is interesting as simply being something different to mess with and the fact that we enjoy our reliable electric golf cart that an electric car must be fun as well!
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 04:35 PM   #34

If you can't tell in a few miles of driving which one feels right to you, then ask on the internet.

Before I was married, I drove Alfas including race versions. 35 years later as I was looking for a sports car after paying off all the student debts and the house etc, I drove 5 or 6 brands. Several C5s. I knew within a mile.

Drive several possibilities. One will bring a smile, the others not so much. No reason you should make the same choice I did. Please yourself.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke View Post
If you can't tell in a few miles of driving which one feels right to you, then ask on the internet.

Before I was married, I drove Alfas including race versions. 35 years later as I was looking for a sports car after paying off all the student debts and the house etc, I drove 5 or 6 brands. Several C5s. I knew within a mile.

Drive several possibilities. One will bring a smile, the others not so much. No reason you should make the same choice I did. Please yourself.
Agree 100%!

I was never a big 986 fan when they came out....wasn't crazy about the looks. The looks kind of grew on me over a few years and finally, in 2005, I had a chance to drive a 2003 Box S that was on a used car lot.

I knew right away I'd own one! It felt like a go cart and was jus fun to drive.

Took a few years but I finally bought a 2000S in 2008 that I kept for 10 years.

You just know!

dghii is offline   Reply With Quote