Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2020, 03:43 PM   #1

Manual transmission aluminum cover

Hi all,
Longtime reader, first-time poster. I've got a 2008 Boxster 987 (I know this is the 986 forum, but the cars are very similar. And you guys have better information here than other sites). I replaced the 5-speed manual transmission mounts on my Boxster today, and that all went well. But I'm having serious troubles trying to get the aluminum cover pan back on. The bolts just don't seem to align, so I'm assuming things shifted slightly. I've already torqued the bolts on the new mounts, would it be helpful to loosen them back up? Any other ideas? The car is up on a scissor lift, so all four tires are suspended and hanging and have been since before I started the replacement. All help is VERY much appreciated! Thanks!!!

jamesa914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa914 View Post
Hi all,
Longtime reader, first-time poster. I've got a 2008 Boxster 987 (I know this is the 986 forum, but the cars are very similar. And you guys have better information here than other sites). I replaced the 5-speed manual transmission mounts on my Boxster today, and that all went well. But I'm having serious troubles trying to get the aluminum cover pan back on. The bolts just don't seem to align, so I'm assuming things shifted slightly. I've already torqued the bolts on the new mounts, would it be helpful to loosen them back up? Any other ideas? The car is up on a scissor lift, so all four tires are suspended and hanging and have been since before I started the replacement. All help is VERY much appreciated! Thanks!!!
It's my understanding that the 987 rear-end is quite similar to the 986. So you;re probably talking about the triangular-shaped alu 'pan' / brace that bolts front & back, and on the two uprights. And it's those latter bolts that you can't line-up, right?

When you lifted the car and let the wheels & suspension droop, especially for any length of time, those uprights will shift, usually (maybe always?) APART from each other. Many of us find that a ratchet-strap between the uprights will bring them back together enough to get the holes to line back up.

If I've misunderstood the problem you've described, then ignore ALL of this.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #3

Garage
So if raising the rear to work on exhaust its better to use car ramps?
Old 08-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #4
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
So if raising the rear to work on exhaust its better to use car ramps?
I don;t use ramps for ANYTHING. They're nothing but in-the-way for me. I remove that triangle alu plate all the time. I jsut plan to put a ratchet strap on the uprights to refit it.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I don;t use ramps for ANYTHING. They're nothing but in-the-way for me. I remove that triangle alu plate all the time. I jsut plan to put a ratchet strap on the uprights to refit it.
I do use the ramps on the rear axle...

As a first step to raise the rear end, then I use a 4x4 with the floor jack to raise it further up and to position the jack stands under the car jacking points..

This has worked out for me, and will do it until I can afford a lo-jack..

PS: I have never required to use the straps because I had always removed the wheels before removing the aluminum triangle (no weight on the suspension with the triangle removed..)

Last edited by Gilles; 08-21-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
I do use the ramps on the rear axle...

As a first step to raise the rear end, then I use a 4x4 with the floor jack to raise it further up and to position the jack stands under the car jacking points..

This has worked out for me, and will do it until I can afford a lo-jack..

PS: I have never required to use the straps because I had always removed the wheels before removing the aluminum triangle (no weight on the suspension with the triangle removed..)
Great Tip!
Old 08-21-2020, 07:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
It's my understanding that the 987 rear-end is quite similar to the 986. So you;re probably talking about the triangular-shaped alu 'pan' / brace that bolts front & back, and on the two uprights. And it's those latter bolts that you can't line-up, right?

When you lifted the car and let the wheels & suspension droop, especially for any length of time, those uprights will shift, usually (maybe always?) APART from each other. Many of us find that a ratchet-strap between the uprights will bring them back together enough to get the holes to line back up.

If I've misunderstood the problem you've described, then ignore ALL of this.
That was exactly the problem, and thanks for your tip. The ratchet strap (and a little bit of brute force) enabled me to get the triangle reattached. Everything is put back together, and I just got back from a test drive. Car is much smoother with new tranny mounts. Thanks!
jamesa914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 09:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesa914 View Post
That was exactly the problem, and thanks for your tip. The ratchet strap (and a little bit of brute force) enabled me to get the triangle reattached. Everything is put back together, and I just got back from a test drive. Car is much smoother with new tranny mounts. Thanks!
James, you may want to check that the alignment on the rear axle is within spec..
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:16 AM   #9
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
James, you may want to check that the alignment on the rear axle is within spec..

That's a good thought, but I've never, ever, had it change from removing and the replacing that alu cover / brace. The first couple of times, I had it checked right after. Since then, I've quit worrying about it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2020, 04:19 PM   #10

Garage
Is it possible to remove exhaust (upgrade from stock) without removing the aluminum pan?