Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2020, 07:27 AM   #1

Air oil seperator

If the AOS is going south on you, is it likely you'll find some oil drops on the garage floor? Engine is not smoking at all. I had RMS and IMS replaced, and now a have an occasional oil drops, Indy is suggesting it might be my AOS, as we've not located where the oil is coming from yet.

Last edited by mikeinmass; 08-20-2020 at 07:51 AM.
mikeinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:39 AM   #2

Until you have identified exactly where the oil is coming from, any decision on how to proceed is little more than a guess. And any shop worth its salt should have replace the AOS while doing the IMS and RMS; the AOS is out in the open while doing those repairs and is a 5 min. change out job.
Old 08-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Until you have identified exactly where the oil is coming from, any decision on how to proceed is little more than a guess. And any shop worth its salt should have replace the AOS while doing the IMS and RMS; the AOS is out in the open while doing those repairs and is a 5 min. change out job.
I kick myself for not changing out that 20 year old coolant tank when I did the Clutch and IMS - the AOS was new at that time.
Old 08-20-2020, 02:42 PM   #4

I should of done some homework to have additional preventative work done. All the shop suggested was the RMS while he was doing the IMS. I requested the coolant be changed as it's 20 yrs old. Damn.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #5

any time I change oil, or a water pump, anything with fluid,I slide a large piece of cardboard under the car and let it sit overnight to check for leaks, after the road test of course, that always gives me a good idea if I have any leaks,.so run it around town and slide a nice clean piece of cardboard under it you will get a good idea of where its coming from by morning,
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:58 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinmass View Post
I should of done some homework to have additional preventative work done. All the shop suggested was the RMS while he was doing the IMS. I requested the coolant be changed as it's 20 yrs old. Damn.
I changed my AOS with the engine in the car. It was quicker and easier than I thought. I bought a tool for the spring clamps, the AOS, one of the lines that connects to the AOS, and a new spring clamp that had an installation dohicky on it. The Installation went smoothly. It is not as hard as the coolant tank....
Old 08-23-2020, 04:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinmass View Post
If the AOS is going south on you, is it likely you'll find some oil drops on the garage floor?
The AOS per se will not leak externally, but the hose or the connections of the hose can leak oil. As JFP & Flmont suggest, find the location of the leak before you go chase solutions with parts.

You might need to crawl under and do some cleaning to find the exact location (once you've done the cardboard test to ball park the problem). If the leak has been occurring for a while, you may have a very dirty / grimy area. Spend $10 and buy 2 cans of Gunk engine clean and get the area cleaned up. This may cause a bigger oil drip as the oil will be less impeded by the dirt that's accumulated. But then you can pinpoint the area.

Caution: do NOT use high pressure as it can cause damage to fragile electronics. Garden hose with a regular attachment will be fine, just judiciously use it around small items.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 10:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Spend $10 and buy 2 cans of Gunk engine clean and get the area cleaned up.
Caution: do NOT use high pressure as it can cause damage to fragile electronics. Garden hose with a regular attachment will be fine, just judiciously use it around small items.
+ 1 on the Gunk tip.

Afterwards, I like to use Simple Green (diluted with water), to get rid of the oily residue of the Gunk. And using Low water pressure it's important specially around the connectors

You will love the way your engine looks and you will be able to find the source of the oil leak, good luck!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 02:32 PM   #9

Found my oil leak or at least one of them. This after the IMS work I had done.

Last edited by mikeinmass; 08-26-2020 at 04:39 PM.