Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2020, 09:44 PM   #1

Boxster 986 - oxygen sensors and idle air valve

Hi guys,

I have an issue with my car - it starts and runs, but sometime when I stop the engine shut downs - rpm is going around 400-500, sometime it goes back to 800-1000, sometime it shut downs.
My local mechanic does not have diagnostic software for the car, so I bought durametric, but still waiting for it.
Another mechanic check the car with Piwis and the mistakes were about air presure, so they checked the car and told me that I have to change idle air valve, both oxygen sensors and all sparks.

I am waiting for an offer, but looks like original idle air valve cost around 600-700 USD here in Bulgaria and I cant find the exact oxygen sensors.

Could anyone tell me what are the exact part numbers - what website you are using to find such things? Or any idea on the price of these parts.

ALso - is durametric good enough or Piwis is better?

Best,
Atanas

monopola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:29 PM   #2

Garage
The idle control valve is indeed expensive, the Porsche part # is 996-606-160-01, there is also a Bosch part # 0280140572. There is a gasket #996-110-310-50 between the idle control valve and the Throttle body that you will need to replace.

The idle control valve can easily be removed and cleaned which you may want to try before you order a replacement. It's attached to the left side of the Throttle body there are two electrical plugs on it and it's held on with two screws. I'd suggest you remove it and give it a good cleaning with Carburetor cleaner.

You don't say what year your car is and what engine you have, the information I've given is for a 2.5 engine from 97 to 2000.

You may want to check prices with Pelican Parts or Design 911. There are several for sale on USA EBay for $50 to $100. used. If you look at the Pelican Parts web site they have some information on the valve. If you search this web site there are several items related to the idle control valve. You may also want to google the part number there are lots of details related to the valve.

Here in the USA most people seem to favor Durametric.

I found that cleaning my idle control valve solved my rough idle issues and it only cost me a couple bucks for the gasket and some carb cleaner!

Last edited by A8ked; 08-15-2020 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Typo
A8ked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:31 PM   #3

Thanks for the swift reply!

My car is 1998, 2.5 engine Boxster.

The valve is cracked and this seem to be the problem. The plastic body has a crack, so I suppose the presure is no good and according to the mechanic glue can be used, but it is just a temporary decision until it is replaced.

I also searched ebay, but price or second hand seems really low according to the original new part. Anyone who tried replacement with a second hand valve? Is this an option or I might end just spending money for nothing?
monopola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:05 PM   #4

O2 sensor part number 986-606-126-01 for a 1998 in the US. There was only one.

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/oxygensensors info
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I think that most of the used IAC Valves will be sold as part of a throttle body (included with the throttle body). You can probably find a good price on your local eBay site. They seem to be running about $100 in the USA, but international shipping might be hard to get.