Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #1

My ignore list

Even though I don't post a whole lot, I've been on this board now for 8 years and log on several times a day. I've made several genuine friends here. I've enjoyed meeting and hanging out with them. Really good guys. I've learned a lot and enjoyed the partnership with my fellow Boxster brothers.

I have a pretty nice little group of Boxsters that I really enjoy. I have fun taking them to the track and doing some restoration work. I've gathered a great stash of parts for future projects and just really enjoy the Boxster brotherhood.

More and more though, there are a few here that are really dragging this place down - sarcasm, smart comments, rude. Basically junior high behavior. Like most obnoxious morons, when confronted, they defend themselves as "just having fun". But they're really no more than crows sitting on a fence making noise. Lots of posts, but really nothing of substance to contribute.

My skin is pretty thick, and I have a lot more things to worry about, so I mostly just ignore them.

Maybe this whole year is just starting to wear on me, but today I just kinda had enough. 3 of them are now members of my personal ban list and I won't have to deal with anymore of their drivel. Buh bye!

Maybe now I can read more about Boxsters and less about nonsense.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #2
Who's askin'?

How does the ban / ignore list work, then? If I ban someone, can they still see MY posts?

I guess if the ban only works one way, then I might be about to find out that I'm on your ban list..... 'cuz you won't see this message, haha.

I get what you're saying, I really do. Just like in real life: not every personality gets along with every other personality. There's a member here or there who.... umm..... bugs me, haha. But I'd still send 'em free parts if I had 'em, or take their money if i were selling.

But just like in real life: I'd be first to help them if they're broke down on the highway, but that doesn't mean I wanna hang out with them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:28 AM   #3

I'll be the first to respond... Just kidding, I see that there is another post before mine

I too have a list with a few people on it, and about to add 1-2 more sadly I'm not sure what happens, I think if they make a post you might see the post but with the text "this user is on your list" or something. I believe they can still see what you post.

I've been on here about the same time, since Dec 2012, have made many good internet friends and several new in-person friends as well, so I am pretty happy.

More boxsters!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:44 AM   #4
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I get what your saying Rick, but the forum's ignore feature probably won't help much. I tired it a few years ago (Landa and maybe KRAM for a short time). For me it didn't work well because I usually browse the forum without logging in - you have to be logged in for the 'ignore' to work. If I remember right, it removed their posts from the thread when you viewed it. In the end, it worked out better to actually ignore the posts rather than use the ignore feature.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
I get what your saying Rick, but the forum's ignore feature probably won't help much. I tired it a few years ago (Landa and maybe KRAM for a short time). For me it didn't work well because I usually browse the forum without logging in - you have to be logged in for the 'ignore' to work. If I remember right, it removed their posts from the thread when you viewed it. In the end, it worked out better to actually ignore the posts rather than use the ignore feature.
Yeah - those two names are sitting in my list too.

I pretty well stay logged in, in case I need to beat someone for a cheap Boxster and don't want to take the extra few seconds logging in. You know how fast some guys are at snagging a cheap car.

To see this in a thread just means I don't have to put up with noise - This user is on your Ignore List.

I get it, not everybody has to think the same and carry the same opinion. But this place is where I come to enjoy a few minutes of my day and get ideas and solutions for my cars and see what others are doing. If guys want to argue about which oil and tires are best, more power to them - that's what this forum is for. When they start arguing and posturing about world events, smarmy comments and general rudeness is when the real AssHattery starts.

If I want to put up with AssHats, there's plenty of other forums I can go to for that. I just wish the AssHats would go there to sit on the fence and make noise, and leave this place to chat about Boxsters.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #6
Who's askin'?

Looks to me like I'm on the "ignore list" of all y'all. Redtele58, stevedox, 78F350.

Sunnuva......

https://youtu.be/aBtYlhNXhh8

Old 08-13-2020, 11:19 AM   #7

Thank you for pointing out this feature. It will make this forum so much more enjoyable without a certain prat's posts.
Old 08-13-2020, 11:23 AM   #8

I have to agree with the general sentiment that more recently the forum has been dominated by a few folks who just seem more interested in taking out their personal shortcomings by making sarcastic and unnecessary comments to others. If you take the time to read their posts you will find their actual contributions in the way of shared knowledge or actual experience is rather puny compared to their opinion posts. Unfortunately it's usually just a handful of folks that tend to ruin things for the majority. Sad...
Jgkram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:28 PM   #9

While I'm aware that I am most likely on some people's ignore list, I will not ignore anyone on here. First because I can handle objecting views, and second because even a broken clock is right twice a day. So I feel I'd be missing out if I don't amass as much information as I could, and then I can separate the wheat from the chaff myself. (Can I use more adages?)

Like probably all of you, I joined this forum to get info on my new-to-me car. But I found that unlike other forums, this is not a cut-and-dry, 'just help me solve my problem' forum. It has more character (and characters) and a feel of community. And that's what keeps me signing in daily.

Just my 2 cents. Boom! Another adage!

P.S. This thread belongs in "Off Topic Discussions"

Last edited by piper6909; 08-13-2020 at 01:48 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:38 PM   #10
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
While I'm aware that I am most likely on some people's ignore list, I will not ignore anyone on here. First because I can handle objecting views, and second because even a broken clock is right twice a day. So I feel I'd be missing out if I don't amass as much information as I could, and then I can separate the wheat from the chaff myself. (Can I use more adages?)

Like probably all of you, I joined this forum to get info on my new-to-me car. But I found that unlike other forums, this is not a cut-and-dry, 'just help me solve my problem' forum. It has more character (and characters) and a feel of community. And that's what keeps me signing in daily.

Just my 2 cents. Boom! Another adage!

P.S. This thread belongs in "Off Topic Discussions"
I echo those sentiments.

I don't block anyone and, for those of you whose list I may be on... consider that some of the comments are directed to those select few on that ****************list... and more often than not are inside-jokes/comments. So if you don't get the joke, Nancy, move on.

The political and 986-disassociated commentary. How vibrant! Disagreements? Differing opinions? Big deal. Life in action. Me thinks half you killjoys are a real pleasure at a picnic.

Speaking of picnic...

See ya. A lot.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:56 PM   #11
Will there be cake?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Looks to me like I'm on the "ignore list" of all y'all. Redtele58, stevedox, 78F350.

Sunnuva......

is there a way to tell (besides lack of backscatter) if you are on ignore lists? I would find that interesting.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #12
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
I got so excited about this feature, I accidentally put myself on my ignore list!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:17 PM   #13

Quote:

Sunnuva......

Wow. I find that pretty amazing.
Maytag, while I don't always agree with you point-by-point on all the stuff discussed here, I do agree with quite of bit of it. And even when I don't, I've gotta give you this: Your posts are always well-thought out and, often, provide me with a pretty valid perspective I had not considered before.

I can't imagine putting you on my "ignore list." Of course, nothing is immutable...
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:35 PM   #14

So...exactly how DOES one ascertain who has us on their 'ignore list' ?

I don't mind one way or the other, when you get right down to it. But it's really hard not to be at least a little curious
Old 08-13-2020, 05:55 PM   #15

Quote:

Sunnuva......

I was expecting a Rick Roll but I clicked anyway, this was better, classic Michael Scott
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:43 PM   #16
Damn Yankee

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
Even though I don't post a whole lot, I've been on this board now for 8 years and log on several times a day. I've made several genuine friends here. I've enjoyed meeting and hanging out with them. Really good guys. I've learned a lot and enjoyed the partnership with my fellow Boxster brothers.

I have a pretty nice little group of Boxsters that I really enjoy. I have fun taking them to the track and doing some restoration work. I've gathered a great stash of parts for future projects and just really enjoy the Boxster brotherhood.

More and more though, there are a few here that are really dragging this place down - sarcasm, smart comments, rude. Basically junior high behavior. Like most obnoxious morons, when confronted, they defend themselves as "just having fun". But they're really no more than crows sitting on a fence making noise. Lots of posts, but really nothing of substance to contribute.

My skin is pretty thick, and I have a lot more things to worry about, so I mostly just ignore them.

Maybe this whole year is just starting to wear on me, but today I just kinda had enough. 3 of them are now members of my personal ban list and I won't have to deal with anymore of their drivel. Buh bye!

Maybe now I can read more about Boxsters and less about nonsense.
+1.

I would hazard a guess that your entire ignore list has already chimed in.

Just sayin'..........

TO

Last edited by TeamOxford; 08-13-2020 at 07:47 PM.
TeamOxford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamOxford View Post
+1.

I would hazard a guess that your entire ignore list has already chimed in.

Just sayin'..........

TO
The three Ass Clowns of the 986 Forum. They just can't help themselves, can they?

It's almost comical.
Old 08-14-2020, 05:18 AM   #18
Who's askin'?

Quote:
The three Ass Clowns of the 986 Forum. They just can't help themselves, can they?

It's almost comical.
Well, since it seems I must be one of those, given that you don't respond to my messages, so I assume you aren't seeing them. With that in mind, then I guess it's okay for me to continue to respond anyway, since you'll never see it.

In my own inconsequential opinion, there's a certain amount of troll involved in creating an ignore list, then TELLING EVERYONE about it, and in fact creating an entire thread about it, calling those individuals out in it.

To me, it looks like it's not in your nature to "ignore", any more than it is in mine. ;-)

Might as well call it your $4!t list, at that point; 'cuz there's nothing "ignore" about it.

But hey: we all get to make friends in our own way, yeah? ;-)

Old 08-14-2020, 05:31 AM   #19

Quote:

It's almost comical.
This from the person who started this thread complaining about "...sarcasm, smart comments, rude. Basically junior high behavior..."
Old 08-14-2020, 05:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Well, since it seems I must be one of those, given that you don't respond to my messages, so I assume you aren't seeing them. With that in mind, then I guess it's okay for me to continue to respond anyway, since you'll never see it.

In my own inconsequential opinion, there's a certain amount of troll involved in creating an ignore list, then TELLING EVERYONE about it, and in fact creating an entire thread about it, calling those individuals out in it.

To me, it looks like it's not in your nature to "ignore", any more than it is in mine. ;-)

Might as well call it your $4!t list, at that point; 'cuz there's nothing "ignore" about it.

But hey: we all get to make friends in our own way, yeah? ;-)

+1

Way to go guys: “Let’s adopt a philosophy where we only listen to the people who say what we want to hear.”

You nailed it RedTele (though not in the way originally intended): “comical.”