Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2020, 08:14 AM   #1

Dealing with a Rarely Driven Boxster

I know, I know, I probably deserve, but don't need a lecture...Yes, they're meant to be driven, but let's set that aside for the moment.

My (actually, it was my wife's 30 year anniversary present) '98 Boxster has under 40K miles on it. I bought it around 5 years ago, and have put maybe 2,000 miles on it if that. I do notice when I start it after a long rest, I get the typical puff of white smoke and the chain rattle for 1 second. Otherwise, the car drives like new.

I believe I need to get into a better cadence with the car. I keep a detailed log of maintenance, and maintain it based on time, not mileage. The question is, I've had several folks recommend that I start it every couple of weeks, and bring it up to operating temperature. I believe Porsche recommends that you don't let it warm up, but rather head straight out and drive it easy until the temperature comes up.

My concern is of course making sure there's lubrication throughout the engine and other things are "exercised," so any recommendations would be great. Unfortunately, taking it out for a drive every week is not realistic. I know starting it and not letting it come up to temperature allows water in the system to not burn off, but with synthetic oil, is that a continuing concern or an old wives tale? Would it harm things to start it once a week, let it run for a few minutes, then turn it off?

Any ideas would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

1985 Porsche Carrera Targa - Guards Red

1978 Porsche 911SC Euro Non-Sunroof - Grand Prix White

Last edited by Seadweller; 07-28-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Seadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
Who's askin'?

sell it.
Honestly, if taking it for a drive once a week isn't realistic, then several things are happening: A) the car is losing value. B) the car is actually "wearing out" faster. There is no question with the Porsche that sitting is much harder on it than being driven, C) you aren't enjoying it.

So I'd wonder why keep it?

BUT: if you're going to keep it anyway, then hire the neighbor-kid to drive it once / week. Tell him to take a girl to dinner in it, or drive it to a special function. Whatever. You'll change his young world with that offer, and solve the rest of the issues as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
I know, I know, I probably deserve, but don't need a lecture...Yes, they're meant to be driven, but let's set that aside for the moment.

My (actually, it was my wife's 30 year anniversary present) '98 Boxster has under 40K miles on it. I bought it around 5 years ago, and have put maybe 2,000 miles on it if that. I do notice when I start it after a long rest, I get the typical puff of white smoke and the chain rattle for 1 second. Otherwise, the car drives like new.

I believe I need to get into a better cadence with the car. I keep a detailed log of maintenance, and maintain it based on time, not mileage. The question is, I've had several folks recommend that I start it every couple of weeks, and bring it up to operating temperature. I believe Porsche recommends that you don't let it warm up, but rather head straight out and drive it easy until the temperature comes up.

My concern is of course making sure there's lubrication throughout the engine and other things are "exercised," so any recommendations would be great. Unfortunately, taking it out for a drive every week is not realistic.

Thanks!
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:04 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadweller View Post
... Porsche recommends that you don't let it warm up, but rather head straight out and drive it easy until the temperature comes up.

My concern is of course making sure there's lubrication throughout the engine and other things are "exercised," so any recommendations would be great. Unfortunately, taking it out for a drive every week is not realistic. I know starting it and not letting it come up to temperature allows water in the system to not burn off, but with synthetic oil, is that a continuing concern or an old wives tale? Would it harm things to start it once a week, let it run for a few minutes, then turn it off? ...
JFP in PA has discussed this several times. If I remember correctly, he does state that running the car for a short period of time will do more damage than good. Moisture in the systems, fuel vapor, and other contaminants in the oil will circulate, but not be burned off.
There is a reference in the manual about staying under a certain RPM until the car reaches a certain temperature. I'd look it up, but rather I will make it your Boxster assignment for the day to find it and post it for the rest of us.

I like Maytag's idea of having someone else take the car out for some exercise when you don't have time.
I have way too many cars, so I purposely switch to a different one every two or three days and make sure that my last drive before switching is a good, long one with some twisty roads.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #4
jcp

I remembered reading something about a cold start so I went to the garage and pulled out the owners manual for my '99. It says "drive moderately and avoid engine speeds above 4200 rpm for the first five minutes".
jcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp View Post
I remembered reading something about a cold start so I went to the garage and pulled out the owners manual for my '99. It says "drive moderately and avoid engine speeds above 4200 rpm for the first five minutes".
All auto manufactures have similar guidelines.
Its as much about Catalytic performance and longevity as it is engine performance and longevity.
Your O2 sensors and engine coolant have to reach a certain temp. before the ECU goes into closed loop and adjusts fuel to a more catalytic converter friendly mix.
Until then your engine is on an open loop or a cold start map which is rich in fuel.

Like the choke is on in days of old.

Rich fuel mixtures are not good for catalytic converters. So the guidelines of easy on the throttle for the first few minutes helps preserve the integrity of the Cat.

blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote