Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2020, 02:27 PM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Is that right? Never heard of it... never seen it. From where? I replaced my AOS a couple years ago... Pelican... and it came with no hose (the updated hose). I had to purchase that separately... another ~$35.

Link? Proof? Thanks.
They used to... The AOS came with the accordion shaped hose.

I have not replaced an AOS in the last 4 years so things must have changes. Does not surprise me, the parts suppliers look for more ways to gouge us.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:39 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Is that right? Never heard of it... never seen it. From where? I replaced my AOS a couple years ago... Pelican... and it came with no hose (the updated hose). I had to purchase that separately... another ~$35.

Link? Proof? Thanks.
Shows the hose in the photo:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99610702304M100.htm?pn=996-107-023-04-M100&bt=Y&fs=0&SVSVSI=1048

300K Mile Club

Last edited by Jager; 08-07-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2020, 02:52 PM   #23
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
They used to... The AOS came with the accordion shaped hose.

I have not replaced an AOS in the last 4 years so things must have changes. Does not surprise me, the parts suppliers look for more ways to gouge us.
I see my confusion. I thought you were referring to the hose/tube that connects the top of the AOS to the intake... and I was wondering what you meant by "included". Then I saw your post and realized you were talking about that hose at the bottom of the AOS... yes, the accordian. That and the clamp seperately I purchased. Fromn Pelican.

That top tube I had to replace because the AOS had been redesigned since the original. That tube cost me ~$35. I had a fix in place (the original tube with a section cut out and a piece of hose clamping the two pieces together). My OCD took over and I couldn't stand that ugly part snaking across the top of the motor.

Old 08-07-2020, 04:55 PM   #24

Quote:
What does your local specialize in??

The diaphragm inside the AOS is cracked.
They specialize in volkswagen. Here's the pictures of the leaking hose they said. I am confused that these hoses are before the MAF. The air should be adjusted. Thanks for any help!

timqqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:34 PM   #25

Garage
Tim, You might have other vacuum leaks besides the AOS. If your mechanic did a smoke test he might have found a cracked hose(s). BUT, if you have major suction at the oil fill tube the AOS is bad.

300K Mile Club
Old 08-08-2020, 04:40 PM   #26

Quote:
Tim, You might have other vacuum leaks besides the AOS. If your mechanic did a smoke test he might have found a cracked hose(s). BUT, if you have major suction at the oil fill tube the AOS is bad.
Yeah. I did see a lot of signs of AOS failure. Like, the car runs rough at idle only when it starts from cold.

I am just curious that does the fault code relates to the failed AOS or the leaking hose.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:54 PM   #27

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by timqqt View Post
Yeah. I did see a lot of signs of AOS failure. Like, the car runs rough at idle only when it starts from cold.

I am just curious that does the fault code relates to the failed AOS or the leaking hose.
Yes, a bad AOS will trigger those fault codes. I have seen it a few times.

300K Mile Club
Old 08-12-2020, 11:13 AM   #28

Quote:
Yes, a bad AOS will trigger those fault codes. I have seen it a few times.
Thanks. I am gonna work on those. I just replaced the engine air filter. Some oil residual on it. Another sign of failed AOS?
Old 08-12-2020, 06:35 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Thanks. I am gonna work on those. I just replaced the engine air filter. Some oil residual on it. Another sign of failed AOS?
You shouldn't be seeing oil on the air filter unless it was a K&N reusable filter, Tacky Oil is used on those. I can't imagine someone spraying tacky oil on a paper filter... but???

A bad AOS will cause oil in the intake cross-over tubes. One of the signs of a bad AOS is smoke at start-up... Have you experienced that?

300K Mile Club
Old 08-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #30
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Tim, you're getting good help here from Jager, so I hesitate to interrupt.
However:
I have seen oil (in small amounts) get to the air filter due to a bad aos, when combined with a poorly running engine.

Under normal conditions air only moves in one direction through the intake tube. However: if your engine "backfires", even just a slight stutter or a cough, then yes, you can see air moving the other direction, though only momentarily. I wouldn't worry about it at all, for the moment, as you could end up chasing squirrels that aren't there. I would focus first on your AOS, then on your vacuum leaks.

Then let us know how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:13 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Tim, you're getting good help here from Jager, so I hesitate to interrupt.
However:
I have seen oil (in small amounts) get to the air filter due to a bad aos, when combined with a poorly running engine.

Under normal conditions air only moves in one direction through the intake tube. However: if your engine "backfires", even just a slight stutter or a cough, then yes, you can see air moving the other direction, though only momentarily. I wouldn't worry about it at all, for the moment, as you could end up chasing squirrels that aren't there. I would focus first on your AOS, then on your vacuum leaks.

Then let us know how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
No doubt backfires would throw oil onto the air filter if you had oil in the intake/throttle body. I have not seen that since I have never had a Porsche motor backfire.

So Tim, has your motor backfired??

300K Mile Club
Old 08-17-2020, 06:01 PM   #32

Quote:
No doubt backfires would throw oil onto the air filter if you had oil in the intake/throttle body. I have not seen that since I have never had a Porsche motor backfire.

So Tim, has your motor backfired??
I think I never experienced that. But you are right, I used K&N air filter!
Old 08-18-2020, 07:04 AM   #33

Quote:
They specialize in volkswagen. Here's the pictures of the leaking hose they said. I am confused that these hoses are before the MAF. The air should be adjusted. Thanks for any help!

There are no hoses that enter the intake before the MAF sensor.
If there is a vacuum leak in the hoses that you are pointing to, then that air is not adjusted.
The vacuum leak in those hoses is part of your problem.

blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boxster