Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2006, 07:42 AM   #1

Zeintec Hardtop

This hardtop looks pretty cool, makes the boxster look like a cayman. Does anyone have one of these?

http://www.zeintec.com/products_design.html

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:55 AM   #2

Looks like there has been previous posts on this. Sorry, I didn't do a search before posting.

05 Touareg V8
Black
Old 10-19-2006, 08:08 AM   #3

that's ok, I didn't the previous post...looks excellent...but I'm afraid to see the price!
bagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:31 AM   #4

beautiful / awesome / $5000

Old 10-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #5

They're starting to advertise in Excellence... I'm betting that price will drop to under $2k in a year or so. It's just far too much cash for what it is.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:51 AM   #6

Am I the only one whow does not like the profile of this top?

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
Am I the only one whow does not like the profile of this top?
YES!

...but to each their own.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #8

I like it but not at $5k. You have to remove the trunk lid to install it too, not a big deal but another step to go through. One of the sponsors here, Epiq are going to be a distributor for it and may be able to provide more info.

Chris.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:31 AM   #9

Although it looks nice I am afraid of the detail fit of the top. The price right now over 2,400 British pounds near 5,000$US which I consider way overprice. On their site none is shown installed all you get is pictures and illustrations of the components giving you an idea and not the true picture of the actual top installed on a Boxster. Might be one Rube Goldberg contraption. LOL
Old 10-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #10

Here is a pic I found, but still hard to see the lines. Looks pretty sweet.

05 Touareg V8
Black
Old 10-19-2006, 12:23 PM   #11

Here are better pics, that first one looks like a 911 front end. Anyhow, here they are.

05 Touareg V8
Black
Old 10-19-2006, 12:26 PM   #12

Here are a few...

Old 10-19-2006, 12:28 PM   #13
bmussatti

Hypothetically, if you looked into the rear window, what would you see? The Boxster trunk area? If so, I think that would look kind of weird.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Hypothetically, if you looked into the rear window, what would you see? The Boxster trunk area? If so, I think that would look kind of weird.
The trunk lid is removed during installation, I'm not sure but I'd think the lower section covers the trunk area and you'd see the clamshell / hood area through the window.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:32 PM   #15

If you look at the pic below of the back window it looks like it stops right after the brake light, so mostly you would see the folded soft top and the the roll bars. Seems like it would work. My question is how does it open so you can access the trunk. It looks like it does open in the pictures on the site, but how would that fasten down etc.. Seems odd.

Still love the look though.

05 Touareg V8
Black
Old 10-19-2006, 12:43 PM   #16

i'm on the waiting list and they will be in So. Cal to do a demo this month, it's about 7 hours drive from where am at. I will go check it out and see if it's worth the drive and $5k plus installation but like what randall said, it might go down after few years....the one thing that's i'm really, really thinking about is "do i want my Boxster to look like Caymans?" below is the e-mail that was sent to me last month w/ the breakdown and other info: hope it answer some of the question

Gerry,

Great. Looking at the photos, your is obviously a 986 body style, same as ours here in L.A.

Regarding the paint color, the only way to match it properly is to use the Porsche color code, found in two places,

(1) under the front hood on an approx. 3” x 3” tag, or if this has fallen off or is illegible,

(2) you can also find it behind the front trunk left side (driver side) carpeting.

On the costs (some elements are still estimates)

the top is $4,999 from our warehouse in Los Angeles
if you car does not have, and it won’t (99% certain) unless it was originally bought with the OEM hardtop, you will need the Spin-Lock inserts. Those you can buy from your Porsche dealer or we can provide them for you at $147.50. To install the inserts is relatively easy for anyone who can use tools and is use to working on cars, or you can have your Porsche dealer install them for you.
The installation of the top will not take any longer than an hour, which includes the removal of the trunk and soft top lids (we provide a tool to simplify the process). After that it takes about 1 min to drop the top on and lock in place with the Spin-Locks and windscreen latch (same as for the soft top). If you go to your local independent Porsche shop, the cost will probably be about $100-$200, depends on what they charge, etc.
We are in the process of getting shipping costs sorted out for various major centers, but for the Bay Area, I would expect it not to be any more than a few hundred dollars, or less (but let’s say $200)..

So, to summarize, top costs $4,999, plus (rounding all costs) land freight est. $200, spin-lock inserts $150, installation of top est. $150.

Once I have to top here on our 2002 Boxster S, expected latter part of this month or early October, I will let you know and we can then figure out the logistics.

Hope that helps,

Kari

Zeintec USA

K.M. Kauppi, President & CEO

+1.310.871.6995 mobile

www.zeintec-usa.com

+1.310.209.8592 phone

+1.310.388.0450 fax

Distributors of the revolutionary Zeintop from Zeintec Automotive Technologies (Pty) Ltd.

Information contained herein may be confidential and/or privileged information of Zeintec USA . and its partners and is intended solely for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It is not to be disclosed, disseminated, reproduced, copied in whole or in part or used for furnishing information to others without the consent of Zeintec USA. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete/destroy this message.

Last edited by unklekraker; 10-19-2006 at 12:47 PM.
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 02:50 PM   #17

I just emailed them today (before I saw this thread)
I asked about availability and they said the demo unit should be in soon and the regular ones for sale should be ready by the end of the year.
Looks like a nice product from the photos, can't wait to read some reviews from folks who see it in person.

Pat
Pat S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #18

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by drburton
If you look at the pic below of the back window it looks like it stops right after the brake light, so mostly you would see the folded soft top and the the roll bars. Seems like it would work. My question is how does it open so you can access the trunk. It looks like it does open in the pictures on the site, but how would that fasten down etc.. Seems odd.

Still love the look though.

Hatch opens just like a cayman, i seen some pictures that the makers sent me. Caymans trunk opens with trunk panel and rear window attached and hinged at the point where roof and window meet.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:14 AM   #19

"i'm on the waiting list and they will be in So. Cal to do a demo this month..."

unkle, why do you need a hard-top (or any top) in CA?

Personally, even if I wanted to turn my roadster into a coupe (beats me why), I would pass on the "opportunity" to pay $6k to beta-test this thing. I'd give it a year or two and see what others say. There are so many issues that may or may not have been addressed with the design (fit, water & dirt accumulation, painted pieces rubbing, sqeaks, noise, etc.).

On another note... First, Porsche comes out with Boxster Coupe, calls it Cayman and charges a premium over the roadster (?). Then Zeintec comes out with a Coupe hardtop which allows the roadster owners to turn their cars into pseudo-Caymans, again for a premium. Go figure.

Z.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:42 AM   #20

on the waiting list but not binded to buy it and that is why i said on my previous reply.......the one thing that's i'm really, really thinking about is "do i want my Boxster to look like Caymans?"
and you are right...no hardtop needed in CA...that's why I got the C230 (i'm saying this in a very, very humble way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
"i'm on the waiting list and they will be in So. Cal to do a demo this month..."

unkle, why do you need a hard-top (or any top) in CA?

Personally, even if I wanted to turn my roadster into a coupe (beats me why), I would pass on the "opportunity" to pay $6k to beta-test this thing. I'd give it a year or two and see what others say. There are so many issues that may or may not have been addressed with the design (fit, water & dirt accumulation, painted pieces rubbing, sqeaks, noise, etc.).

On another note... First, Porsche comes out with Boxster Coupe, calls it Cayman and charges a premium over the roadster (?). Then Zeintec comes out with a Coupe hardtop which allows the roadster owners to turn their cars into pseudo-Caymans, again for a premium. Go figure.

Z.

unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote