Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2020, 06:30 AM   #1

Garage
Is it ok to keep the roof open

New owner here
It said somewhere in the manual that you shouldn't keep the roof open.
The passenger window doesn't drop when pulling the handle and read about the cable slack fix and also regulator replacement. Will try that when I have the time.

In the meantime, is it ok to leave the roof open. The roof is original and in fairly decent condition. The window could use replacing as it's yellowed a little and has a few small cracks.

I drive the car a few days a week running errands, and cruise around a little on weekends. It's not cold so I'm not worried about the window getting stiff and it's hot enough that I think the fabric would stay pliable.

Just looking for advice if it's no a big deal, or should the roof stay closed when not driving the car.

Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:16 AM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I believe the most important issues regarding open/closed are; water intrusion and temperature. With temperature, the plastic window is more pliable the warmer it is. There have been reported cases of the plastic splitting because it was stiff from the cold.

I still have my original, plastic rag top and it is in great condition. My car also came with the factory hard top. I believe my car spent most of its life with the hard top on. Which explains why it is in good shape. I also keep a soft towel in the fold of the plastic when it is down. This helps to keep the plastic from rubbing against itself. I never raise/lower the top below 70 degrees. I also keep a car cover on it all of the time. Wife's car gets to sleep in the garage.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:39 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
+1 to Rex.
One of the cars I bought had a hardtop on most of the time the previous owner had it - that means that the soft top was 'open' for years. The top looked great and almost new until one sunny morning I opened it with the temperature still in the 50s. The window cracked.
A towel or soft cloth in the fold is a great idea to keep it from getting scratched while folded.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:06 AM   #4

Right or wrong, I've typically left the top down (car garaged) most of the summer. The only downside I've experienced is that the dash, etc, builds up dust faster that it otherwise normally would. My back window is (2001 vehicle) is still in good shape. I do avoid opening/closing when it's too cool out, so one wouldn't want to wait until winter conditions have set in before addressing the matter. (I have, in a pinch when it's gotten cold out, bundled up and taken the car for a drive and then put the top back up. I figure engine heat would to some extent warm things up back there. AND, putting it up I think is much less stressful on the vinyl than putting it down. So far so good.)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #5

Thank you all. I've been meaning to ask the same question........

Now, how to convince the wife to do the Karate Chop?

-Eric
99 986
09 Cayman S
Eric-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:15 AM   #6

Give her some incentive...let her practice on you for awhile
Old 06-25-2020, 08:53 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
I believe the most important issues regarding open/closed are; water intrusion and temperature. With temperature, the plastic window is more pliable the warmer it is. There have been reported cases of the plastic splitting because it was stiff from the cold.

I still have my original, plastic rag top and it is in great condition. My car also came with the factory hard top. I believe my car spent most of its life with the hard top on. Which explains why it is in good shape. I also keep a soft towel in the fold of the plastic when it is down. This helps to keep the plastic from rubbing against itself. I never raise/lower the top below 70 degrees. I also keep a car cover on it all of the time. Wife's car gets to sleep in the garage.
Yes, I mentioned it's warm and the plastic is probably more pliable. I'm in AZ and it's in the 100's now and in my garage with my other car (plug-in Hybrid) charging the battery overnight that dissipates heat like crazy and my garage this time of year is usually about 110 or so overnight.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:01 AM   #8

Garage
I just want to open/close the roof as least as possible to keep the passenger window from possibly getting worse until I do the cable fix or replace the regulator.
Thanks again.
And yes, so far the only drawback I see is the dust. may keep a sheet over the cabin when it's sitting in the garage.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:19 AM   #9

Yeah, you have an additional reason compared to me. I just figure the mechanism to open and close the top is subject to wear and tear. Them breaking down isn't all that terribly rare. I just figure the less I use it the longer I can put off having to fix the thing when it breaks..
Old 06-25-2020, 11:08 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Yeah, you have an additional reason compared to me. I just figure the mechanism to open and close the top is subject to wear and tear. Them breaking down isn't all that terribly rare. I just figure the less I use it the longer I can put off having to fix the thing when it breaks..
I agree, if I can fix the other things it needs and prolong this until it gets worse that works for me. And also less open/closes if it just stays open.
Old 06-25-2020, 03:56 PM   #11

I have left mine down a few days in a row,..Ive worried about the top getting damaged..I.E. a cut or rip in it due to driving around for a week with it down..but so far so good !!
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:19 PM   #12
2007 Cayman S

Open Convertible Top

On my first 356s I was always taught that it’s OK to keep the top down for a couple weeks at a time, but it’s good to reattach the top from time to time so as to make sure that you stretch the top itself back into shape. Certainly everything you guys say about the plastic window is true from a cold temperature standpoint but, as I said, from time to time close the convertible top so that the canvas can stretch back into shape for a while.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:45 PM   #13

Garage
For me the scariest thing would be an unexpected rainstorm that would flood and ruin the immobilizer...
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:50 PM   #14

That's the beauty of AZ you can either see it coming or smell it,!!
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:20 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
For me the scariest thing would be an unexpected rainstorm that would flood and ruin the immobilizer...
Not that big a deal. Really.
You run into a sudden rainstorm in the Boxsta, gun it. Really. The airflow shoots the water harmlessly right on out the back. (Actually? Not totally true. You do get a few drops that run up the windshield and drip from the corners into the car...but it's minor.)

That said, I do in those circumstances generally try to get the top up if I can. Do the mod that allows you to do that without having to totally bring the car to a stop...comes in handy. Run the AC for a few minutes and the little bit of moisture you took on is gone...