Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2020, 06:27 AM   #1

Question for blue interior fading

Hey guys - I'm looking at a blue interior for a specific project car. I'm not familiar with blue interiors, having only been around one Boxster that had that color.

I'm familiar with Boxster Red and how it fades and how to revive it, but it looks like Metropol Blue has similar fade characteristics - specifically with the carpeting.

How have you guys w/ blue interiors revived them? How's the dash and door panels hold up over the years for color loss?

The attached pictures are of a car I'm looking at. Is this pretty standard carpet fade for blue? If you've tried to re-dye the carpeting, how successful were you? What product/s did you use?

Your ideas are welcome.

Attached Images

Old 06-26-2020, 09:36 AM   #2

From what I've seen, this generation of Porsches has some of the worse UV protection from fading. Blue and red have the worst fade of all the colors when it comes to the carpet. Red's leather is worse though. That one looks to be a little excessive for what I've witnessed. I've never tried to re-dye any color except black. Hard to go wrong with black. You cant really over dye black or make it splotchy.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #3

OH Oh Isn't Blue and Grey out of favor right now?
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 02:15 PM   #4

Hi

That does not look so bad. Its hard to tell without actually seeing it. Digital photos can be very misleading with colour balance.

Have a look and compare with some carpet that has not been in the sun, so under or behind the seat.

Berni
berni29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #5

"They all do that".

That's why I intentionally selected black floor mats.

Couple of shots of my car:

Dave80GTSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:46 AM   #6

Looks amazing to my eyes, I love the faded blue color!
solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #7

Thanks guys for your comments. I appreciate the info.

I drove 3 hours yesterday to Dallas to look at the white/blue car below. It's sitting on a little out of the way used car lot. Super nice owner. Very much the gentleman.

It would have be the perfect project car for what I want to do at $5500. Maybe even $6k. Unfortunately he was asking $8650. Top dollar for a '98 that was at best a 20 footer. It is one of the nicer optioned early cars I've seen though. Full leather, lots of interior trim update, Sport Classic wheels, power seats both sides, 4-stalk cruise and computer. It even had the foot well lights - first time I've seen that option on an early Boxster. Unfortunately it was just kind of worn out. 12 year old tires. Seats worn. Top inop. Paint kinda tired. Wheels curbed. Even all 4 center caps were missing the Porsche emblem. And you know it'll need fluids changed, plugs, coil packs, motor mount, belt, etc. Lots of little things that didn't really matter, since I would have been re-doing/replacing a lot of it, but I couldn't justify top dollar and I didn't want to low ball what he was asking by $3k. I almost felt guilty going through everything it needed. But I did find the radio code and reset it for him so the radio now works.

I tried to talk myself into the car all the way back home. I just couldn't do it. But it sure looks nice in the picture below.

Bummer.

But finding the right project car is half the fun. And I did get to get out on the road for six hours in one of my '99s.

What I'm looking for is out there though. This was just the first one I looked at. The hunt continues...
Attached Images