Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2020, 05:52 AM   #1

Garage
Locked out of Reverse

After returning from a "spirited" drive, when looking to back into the driveway - the shifter won't physically go into reverse. As soon as I move it down to R, it feels like there is a blockage/something preventing it. All forward gears work fine.

Car is a 2001 Base, 5-spd.

After researching the threads, I've checked the shifter under the console - didn't see anything out of the ordinary and also checked the linkage at the transmission. Some of the other posts reference the bushing being out of place, both of mine are still in snugly as per pic.

Some threads mention an adjustment to the shifter cables, are the blue and black cables supposed to be even? mine aren't as per the pic. Also, is there any connection between pressing the clutch and shifting into R? Could there be a clutch sensor that might have failed causing the lockout?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Old 05-26-2023, 06:28 PM   #2

Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I’m having a similar problem. Just changed to numeric cables, before which I was shifting through all 5 gears and reverse fine. did not change shift linkage. I can shift into reverse by reaching up to the transmission and adjusting it with my hand, I can’t however shift from the shifter itself, which feels like it’s being blocked by something for reverse specifically. Center console is off and nothing is blocking the movement of the shifter itself. Possibly the new cable? Turned the car on and no weird noises or grinding.
986Pcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2023, 11:43 AM   #3

For anyone else who might be searching for solutions: For me, one of the actuating brackets on the outside of the transmission (where the cables attach) was very slightly bent. Probably from when I was yanking the old cables off. Once it was pushed back into place and the cables were properly adjusted, reverse was reachable. The car feels great now! Moral of the story is that if the cables, linkage, or pieces on the transmission get bent out of shape, stretched, or slightly loose it can make a big difference with reaching gears.

986Pcar is offline   Reply With Quote