Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2020, 08:58 AM   #1

2004 Base..Fuel pump questions.

So, the fuel pump is out on my 2004 base. Is it necessary to remove all of the fuel from
the tank before replacing the pump? Also, will I have to have the car recalibrated as some have said needs to be done when finished? I plan on replacing the pump only.
Thanks for any and all advice!

Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 09:08 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzy View Post
So, the fuel pump is out on my 2004 base. Is it necessary to remove all of the fuel from
the tank before replacing the pump? Also, will I have to have the car recalibrated as some have said needs to be done when finished? I plan on replacing the pump only.
Thanks for any and all advice!
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/22-FUEL-Fuel_Pump/22-FUEL-Fuel_Pump.htm

The first step in replacement is to prep the car. Remove as much gasoline out of the car as possible (see photos). Some warnings too:

Always have a fire extinguisher handy in case an emergency arises.

Gasoline is highly flammable. When working around fuel and fuel line connections, don't disconnect any wires or electrical connections that may cause electrical sparks.

Always remove the gas cap to relieve any pressure in the tank prior to working on the fuel system.

Do not use a work lamp when working near fuel or fuel tanks. If you need some light, use a cool fluorescent lamp and keep it far away from the pump.

Gasoline vapors are strong, harmful, and can cause you to become drowsy and not think straight. Always perform work in a well-ventilated area with plenty of fresh air blowing through.

Always disconnect the battery when working on the fuel system. Leave it disconnected for at least 30 minutes to allow any residual electrical charge in components to dissipate.

Keep plenty of paper towels on hand, and wear rubber gloves to prevent spilling gasoline on your hands

Be well grounded - don't do anything that will create static electricity. Keep all cell phones and pagers a safe distance away.

Run the car so that the gas tank is near empty, and then remove the remaining fuel as detailed in Figure 1
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #3
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Just to forewarn you, the fuel filter is integrated into the sending unit. You may want to change that out as well. That was my experience after installing (and damaging) new pumps years ago.

At the very least you’d want to check for flow in the sending unit prior to reassembly.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:35 AM   #4

Out of curiosity, doesn't the fuel pump assembly installed on top of the fuel tank..?
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #5
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Out of curiosity, doesn't the fuel pump assembly installed on top of the fuel tank..?
Nope, sits in a locking mount on the tank bottom.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 02:14 AM   #6

Garage
Did mine last year; all the above is good gouge. Did it in the driveway rather than in the garage (to avoid the buildup of fumes). Replaced the fuel level sending unit too (on mine, that was what was broken). Once the sending unit was removed I sucked almost all the gasoline out using a hand-held HF battery powered pump meant for gasoline; it pulled all but perhaps 1/4" of fuel out of the tank. One note - when you connect the fuel lines from the new pump to the sending unit, ensure you have a solid "click" and a good connection, lest the hose pop off under pressure after you've got it all buttoned up & start driving. All in all, not a difficult job.

And no, even when installing a completely new fuel level sending unit, there's no "calibration" to be done.

1971 BMW R75/5
Subman is offline   Reply With Quote