Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #1

Boxster 986 rear jack stand placement/safe

Going to change out the water pump...saw where Burner placed jack stands on the frame where i would normally jack the car up from...any comments

Tlightfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:32 PM   #2
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
I generally put the stands under the diagonal braces under the control arm mounts.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #3
Will there be cake?

Garage
use the jacking points for your jackstands. You can lift from the rear to get both rear wheels off the ground and here is an instructional video on a number of methods specific to the boxster. starting around 1:50, it covers putting your car up on all fours. A little counter-intuitive, but exactly how you do it.

https://youtu.be/La6i3TwMB8k
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:12 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I built some 2-stage wooden cribs and raise the car 6" then 12" resting the wheels for oil changes/etc. If you want to use stands, use the rear lift point (in front of the rear wheels) to raise one side of the car high enough to place the a stand on the front jack point on the lowest stand setting (yes it can be done). Same for the other side.

Then use a long/low jack and place it on the forward end of the diamond shaped plate between the rear wheels. There are two bolts at the front, and that is a safe place to lift both rear wheels at the same time. Do not use the other side of the plate (closet to the exhaust pipe) it is not strong enough and could bend. Raise the car up and place the rear jack stands. If you want to get the car higher, use the same location for the rear. For the front there is a bulge, forward and toward the center, about 8-12" inches from the front jack point, you can use to lift the front higher. That spot is just really difficult to get at when the car is still on the ground, which is why I didn't mention it earlier.

I recommend putting a hockey puck on your floor jack, and if you can afford Esco stands, they won't tear up the underbody coating.
Old 05-13-2020, 05:47 AM   #5
Will there be cake?

Garage
"I recommend putting a hockey puck on your floor jack, and if you can afford Esco stands, they won't tear up the underbody coating."

this is a must...
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #6

Thanks...that is where Burner put his...
Tlightfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:50 PM   #7

Buy the Rennline Jack Point and never look back. Then jack stand under the rear braces right at the rearward bolts. There are neigh sayers that will say not to jack from that rear cross brace, but I’ve done it for years with never an issue. The Jack Point makes it easy and looks kinda cool under the car.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:18 AM   #8

This is how I jack up my Boxster when needed: https://youtu.be/HKUTlfbqFaU

Brian
Brian Minson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 10:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
I generally put the stands under the diagonal braces under the control arm mounts.
That's what I did.

Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote