Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2020, 04:58 PM   #1

98 Boxster transmission fill plug trying to cross thread

I picked up a Boxster late this winter and have been going through my 101 projects book with new clutch, flywheel, IMS, and RMS. Finally getting the car in the back together direction. I pulled the fill plug on the transmission since I felt it would be super nice and easy to handle while it's sitting on my bench.

After I removed the plug, looked at it and decided to call it a night, the plug is disagreeing with being threaded back in, and it's acting like it wants to get crossed up right away. I'm not sure if a piece of metal got stuck in the threads and jammed it up or if it just got a little goofy on me.

Has anyone run into this sort of issue, or does anyone happen to know the thread specs on the plug that I can make sure they are ok before I keep going?

janzend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:56 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #3

You might try running an old tooth brush on both threads. Obviously you don't want to force it if it seems to be going cock-eyed.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 12:24 PM   #4

Thanks, It seems to be lined up square, and tough to get crooked since it has the magnet on it as well. I just get it in a couple turns and it parks very firmly. Looking at the threads it doesn't seem like its really off, and they look pretty clean. I'll see about cleaning it all pretty thoroughly and give it another go.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:38 PM   #5

If you are right up in there with some reasonable square pressure, rotate the plug as if you are undoing it and then the other way, clock wise to install. This helps start the threads square in many cases.
Old 04-27-2020, 12:55 PM   #6

Guess it was just an issue of me learning about the car... the area the magnet slides into is connected to the linkages on the back of the transmission. without it being upright or those connected, the tube was no longer aligned with the fill hole so the plug was stopping when it hit it. Fiddling with the plug some as I tightened it solved the problem.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:41 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by janzend View Post
Guess it was just an issue of me learning about the car... the area the magnet slides into is connected to the linkages on the back of the transmission. without it being upright or those connected, the tube was no longer aligned with the fill hole so the plug was stopping when it hit it. Fiddling with the plug some as I tightened it solved the problem.

You may be getting ready to learn more about your car than previously thought. The plug you pulled was not the fill plug on a 5 speed. That shaft has a spacer which has most likely fell to the bottom of the transmission. Attached is a discussion with pictures of the location of the drain and fill plugs (post 19) along with an exploded diagram showing the shaft and spacer (post #13. parts 16,17 18 & 19). Disregard the 6 speed discussion.

Transmission gear oil change made easy.

Good Luck

Last edited by 911monty; 04-27-2020 at 01:50 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #8

Oof, yeah. I was moving it around a decent amount as well. this will be fun.

It appears as though I removed part 16, with the rubber gasket on it, which is still attached to the removed part. looking at the correct plug next to the driveshaft it's rather embarrassing how I came to that assumption. Thank you for steering me right

Last edited by janzend; 04-27-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:22 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by janzend View Post
Oof, yeah. I was moving it around a decent amount as well. this will be fun.

It appears as though I removed part 16, with the rubber gasket on it, which is still attached to the removed part. looking at the correct plug next to the driveshaft it's rather embarrassing how I came to that assumption. Thank you for steering me right
You're welcome. It is disappointing, but best to take care of now before major internal damage can be done. And it's already out and on the bench!

Good Luck

911monty is offline   Reply With Quote