Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #1
Boxing in Australia

Direct oil feed

Hi everyone,

my 80th birthday coming up in May, thought I might get my 2003 2.7 (facelift ) Tip fitted with the direct oil feed IMS solution as a present for myself.

(I'm hoping one of my boys might like to take it over when I can't drive anymore )

Has anyone had this done to their car ? any complaints or comments appreciated, car has done about 60,000 kms so far.

Cheers Alan

Alan Mackew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:27 PM   #2

Garage
I had one installed as preventative right after I purchased my '02 2.7 in December 2019. I had the IMS bearing done, RMS, clutch and the DOF. I did it for peace of mind and have never looked back. Seemed like the most straight forward solution to me after countless hours of research both in person and online, even spoke to Pedro directly and he had a hand in its development. Do it and enjoy the driving.
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:19 AM   #3

Other than the initial hit to the wallet there is nothing not to like about the IMS Solution . Been running mine for several years the peace of mind it provides is priceless in my opinion .
2002 Boxster S Arctic Silver with black top with glass window and black leather interior. Jake Raby 3.6 SS ( the beast ) with IMS Solution. 996 GT3 front bumper , GT3 rocker covers and GT3TEK rear diffuser and Joe Toth composites rear ducktail spoiler .
rfuerst911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfuerst911sc View Post
Other than the initial hit to the wallet there is nothing not to like about the IMS Solution . Been running mine for several years the peace of mind it provides is priceless in my opinion .
I agree regarding the ‘IMS Solution’ which will be installed during my 3.8 F6I upgrade this fall, but I think the OP is referring to DOF to a roller bearing as ‘a solution’ to address the IMS issue rather than referring to F6I’s ‘IMS Solution’ which uses an oil fed plain bearing.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 04-22-2020 at 06:06 PM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
Oh boy, another IMS thread
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #6
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Oh boy, another IMS thread
It's a gift from Porsche that keeps on giving!
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:18 AM   #7

i did the EPS IMS solution to my 1997 Boxster in 2014 when it had 40K miles on it. I did it along with the AOS and coolant tank, water pump, belts, any and all rubber on engine, RMS, spark plugs and tubes, front motor mount, and anything else I could think of just for piece of mind. It was a low mileage car but was 17 years old at that time. Have not had the first problem with it since. It just turned 69K miles and no problems and total peace of mind for the last 6 years.
BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:02 PM   #8
Boxing in Australia

Lifes little tests

Hi everyone

now our central heating has packed up, 7000 $A so will have to defer the D.O.F on the boxster for a while. Thanks to those who provided some opinions,

Alan
Old 04-21-2020, 07:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mackew View Post
Hi everyone

now our central heating has packed up, 7000 $A so will have to defer the D.O.F on the boxster for a while. Thanks to those who provided some opinions,

Alan
Sorry to hear!

Where does the oil fed kit plumb into? I am on the prevent bandwagon with my 02 and its just a well maintained car and want to keep it a while.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:06 PM   #10
Boxing in Australia

Hi APARKE4

the oiled is taken from a modified oil filter unit via an external feed pipe to the new bearing.

A lot of information on the internet including fitting videos, thanks for the empathy, can't use the Boxster at the moment (self Isolating )

Cheers Alan
Old 04-22-2020, 05:52 AM   #11

Garage
It finally hit me -- there is only one true solution to the IMSB that will allow you to sleep at night

SELL your Boxster
Doesn't cost a dime
Old 04-22-2020, 10:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Hi APARKE4

the oiled is taken from a modified oil filter unit via an external feed pipe to the new bearing.

A lot of information on the internet including fitting videos, thanks for the empathy, can't use the Boxster at the moment (self Isolating )

Cheers Alan
Right on thx found a few examples... I currently have the filter adapter so it looks like a I would need the new piece instead of plumbing off the motor (for an easier install).
Old 04-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2002s View Post
It finally hit me -- there is only one true solution to the IMSB that will allow you to sleep at night

SELL your Boxster
Doesn't cost a dime
Porsche's are like boats: tons of maintenance and upkeep but man when they work, its worth the pain!! My boxster puts a smile on my face and through the help here, some good ramps and jackstands I have done a lot of the work myself to curb some of the major labor expenses which is around 100$ an hour or more no matter what shop I go to.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:50 PM   #14

The DOF (Direct Oil Feed) is one product. The Solution is a totally different product. Different companies, different location on the engine the oil is taken from. Also different bearings, different amount of oil fed to the bearings. And certainly different proponents in the Porsche community.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #15
Boxing in Australia

hi kk2002

selling is certainly an option. Having owned many sports cars and speciall interest cars over the years, from vintage to modern, sensible decisions wthen it comes to cars are not my Forte.

I owned a 1997 MGF and a Caterham Super Seven a few tears back both fitted with the same Rover K Series engines (also in the early Elise ) these engines are renown for head gasket failure and it happened to me on both of my cars at different times, I still really liked them, however.

The difference with the Boxster is apparently failure is without warning and expensive to fix whereas on both my K Series engines there was warning in the form o obvious coolant leak from the head gasket and relatively cheap to fix.

In many respects the Boxster is the best all round useable sports car I have owned apart from the spectre of the IMS ( an unforgivable fault in a car from a manufacturer with such a fine history.)

Cheers Alan
Old 04-23-2020, 07:27 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
selling is certainly an option. Having owned many sports cars and speciall interest cars over the years, from vintage to modern, sensible decisions wthen it comes to cars are not my Forte.

I owned a 1997 MGF and a Caterham Super Seven a few tears back both fitted with the same Rover K Series engines (also in the early Elise ) these engines are renown for head gasket failure and it happened to me on both of my cars at different times, I still really liked them, however.

The difference with the Boxster is apparently failure is without warning and expensive to fix whereas on both my K Series engines there was warning in the form o obvious coolant leak from the head gasket and relatively cheap to fix.

In many respects the Boxster is the best all round useable sports car I have owned apart from the spectre of the IMS ( an unforgivable fault in a car from a manufacturer with such a fine history.)

Cheers Alan
Just joking Though I did trade my Box last November for of all things an off road Pickup truck. I never did the IMSB and the car gave me 6 years/55k miles of enjoyment (Most fun car I ever had). I wasn't using it much and I needed something to help me move and haul new toys. But I did think while reading this thread that I never think about my IMSB exploding and should I change it and what type to change too.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #17

A lot of controversy and a lot of options!

SO much controversy about the IMSB, seriousness (or not), root-cause and solutions.

Is it the faulty seal and corrosive oil that gets sucked in?
Is it too much load on the bearing?
Is it poor lubrication?
Is it all of the above?

Plenty of debate out there from a lot of smart folks. Who often don't agree.

After reviewing them all, I decided on the EPS roller bearing and oil feed. Is it inferior to the LN solution? Is it better? I don't know. But after reading fdbk from all the experts it made sense to me. It's not the cheapest option but reasonably priced. ...and pretty sure it's better than what came out of the factory.

LN seems to have the best and well-known reputation and I expect if installed by an approved technician will add to resale value more than other options.

If you know or anticipate that a clutch job is required, seems practical for most of us to inspect and likely replace the bearing and a variety of seals and wearable items -- if only for preventative maintenance. I like to do my own work but don't like frequently pulling the tranny so it's worth doing a little more work and spending a little more to reduce risk of failures.
geekdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 10:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdaddy View Post
...I decided on the EPS roller bearing and oil feed...
Did you punch a hole behind the oil pump or did you use an external feed? The EPS system intrigued me even though, as you said, the LN system is more popular.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #19

Will punch behind the oil pump per their recommendations but haven't done it yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Did you punch a hole behind the oil pump or did you use an external feed? The EPS system intrigued me even though, as you said, the LN system is more popular.
geekdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdaddy View Post
Will punch behind the oil pump per their recommendations but haven't done it yet!
Yeah, that's mainly the part that intrigued me. I was actually wondering about using a new OEM bearing, pulling off the seals and using the EPS oil feed method. But I have a Tiptronic, so unless I have a reason to go in there I probably won't do it.

Let us know how it goes, please!

piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote