Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2021, 07:36 AM   #1
2001 Boxster S 6sp

Is this smell normal -

Last weekend I installed new spark plug tubes and spark plugs. Driven it a couple times since and when I get home I think I'm smelling plastic or something similiar that I haven't smelled before.

Is that fairly normal after installing new spark plug tubes?

1969 Morgan 4/4 1600 (PO)
Chboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 07:52 AM   #2

I don't have an answer for you but came here to say this is the greatest thread title I've seen in a while.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chboro View Post
Last weekend I installed new spark plug tubes and spark plugs. Driven it a couple times since and when I get home I think I'm smelling plastic or something similiar that I haven't smelled before.

Is that fairly normal after installing new spark plug tubes?
Did you repolace the old tubes because of a leak... or just as preventative maintenance? I'm thinking the o-rings that you slid onto each tube might have not properly seated... and is allowing oil to pass through.

Have you gotton under it to see if any of the tubes are leaking? That might be the culprit.

In any event... report back what you find. Might help someone down the road, literally.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:04 AM   #4
2001 Boxster S 6sp

Taking the Box out for a drive this morning. I will jack it up and pull the wheels off and have a look when I return. I replaced the tubes and o-rings because I had no record of them ever being done and I was changing spark plugs and doing an oil changes as well. It was one of those 'while I'm here I'll do this' things. I'll report back when I've eliminated the smell.
Old 03-27-2021, 10:13 AM   #5
2001 Boxster S 6sp

I think I may have been a little paranoid concerning the smell. Oddly enough I had 2 new front tires put on the same day. Smell is diminishing and I think it was from the tires. However just now I did jack the car up, remove the rear wheels and check all the tubes for leakage. During the tube install I had cleaned that area really well and it looks leak free and all the tubes are flush and o rings seem to be seated properly. I intend to keep an eye on it. Thanks for the responses.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:39 AM   #6

Garage
Kermits finger = bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chboro View Post
I think I may have been a little paranoid concerning the smell. Oddly enough I had 2 new front tires put on the same day. Smell is diminishing and I think it was from the tires. However just now I did jack the car up, remove the rear wheels and check all the tubes for leakage. During the tube install I had cleaned that area really well and it looks leak free and all the tubes are flush and o rings seem to be seated properly. I intend to keep an eye on it. Thanks for the responses.
It is probably the brake cleaner or whatever other solvent you might have used to clean off the old oil from the heads when you replaced those tubes. It will cook off after a few miles of spirited driving and you should be back to normal. Sounds l like that might be what it was and has already remedied itself

Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote