Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2020, 08:17 PM   #1

Beware, The Thieves are Out

Howdy,

Two nights in a row now someone has tried to steal my wheels. Unsuccessfully thank goodness. They got a wheel lock each night. The covid economics is surely creating more theft. They apparently have my wheel lock tool. I now have two sets of locks on my wheels thanks to Porsche service department being open.

These attempts could be this guy that keeps vandalizing my car but I’m unsure he’d have the wherewithal to obtain lock key.

Tonight I’ll camp out and try and catch them. I have an elevated position directly above. There’s no chance of them getting to me.

Keep an eye out guys.

-J

Last edited by Junkley; 04-13-2020 at 08:19 PM.
Junkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:30 PM   #2

Garage
Man I’ve always thought those wheels locks were useless. Of course, I’d think that until I have my wheels stolen. Fingers crossed.

Best of luck to you Junkley. Maybe activate the alarm remotely when they approach the car?
Old 04-13-2020, 08:40 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

If someone steals your wheels, you can drop by my house and pick up a free set of stock turbo 18's. Seriously.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
If someone steals your wheels, you can drop by my house and pick up a free set of stock turbo 18's. Seriously.
Wow, that’s very kind. I sincerely hope I don’t have to take you up on the offer. I’m grateful there are people like you. Restored faith in humanity.

I really appreciate the responses. This is really stressing me out. I’ve spent $6k on car in last month and half and external things keep happening. I didn’t mention this guy poured paint in gas tank. Now I have new fuel lines, tank, pump, injectors. The upside is the car runs like a banshee.

-J
Old 04-13-2020, 09:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveno View Post
Man I’ve always thought those wheels locks were useless. Of course, I’d think that until I have my wheels stolen. Fingers crossed.

Best of luck to you Junkley. Maybe activate the alarm remotely when they approach the car?
Unfortunately, my alarm or key fob aren’t operational. I sent Particlewave a message about repairing but I haven’t heard from him.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:52 PM   #6

Garage
This guy sounds like a legitimate pain in the ass. I would consider tucking the car away in an auto storage unit if you don’t have a garage for it. That way no one can touch it.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:00 PM   #7

Quote:
This guy sounds like a legitimate pain in the ass. I would consider tucking the car away in an auto storage unit if you don’t have a garage for it. That way no one can touch it.
Ironically, I have a two car garage and my girlfriend’s elderly mother lives with us. She takes up both spaces and refuses to move it. Also a pack rat and I get to enjoy looking at a house full of her junk everyday. This explains why I’m a workaholic and then spend all my free time playing with my car. The upside here is that my car is really clean.

I’m going to ask a neighbor if I can pay to park in an empty slot she has. That or just move some place far away...
Old 04-14-2020, 06:16 PM   #8
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
If I may suggest, extension cord, motion detector and halogen light up high.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 07:12 PM   #9

I'd suggest a 9 mm
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
I'd suggest a 9 mm
Here we go....
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 03:44 AM   #11
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Here we go....
9MM. Pffffft. I'd go with an 18MM and with Trump engraved in gold in at least 6 spots on that hand-cannon.

Maybe have the US Flag hand-painted on the grip.

Oh, and a MAGA hat to complete the look.

That would scare away just about any dem... er, crook.
Old 04-15-2020, 03:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
9MM. Pffffft. I'd go with an 18MM and with Trump engraved in gold in at least 6 spots on that hand-cannon.

Maybe have the US Flag hand-painted on the grip.

Oh, and a MAGA hat to complete the look.

That would scare away just about any dem... er, crook.
Haha! Bring it, biotch!

For the record, before ya'll jump down my throat, I didn't start it

Last edited by piper6909; 04-15-2020 at 03:54 AM.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:33 AM   #13

So let's drop the politics and get back on track...

OP, if someone is pouring paint in your gas tank, among other things, it sounds like you have someone with an axe to grind vs common thieves. Nice of you to house your GF's mom, but you might suggest to her these hooligan adventures are costing you money and unless she wants to foot the bill, the solution is to get your car in the garage. I know that's easy for me to say in Neb behind my keyboard, but it's worth broaching the topic with her. Maybe she isn't the best driver and is concerned about hitting your car if it's in the garage. Offer to drive it in or out for her. There has to be some sort of accommodation that could be made.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post

OP, if someone is pouring paint in your gas tank, among other things, it sounds like you have someone with an axe to grind vs common thieves. Nice of you to house your GF's mom, but you might suggest to her these hooligan adventures are costing you money and unless she wants to foot the bill, the solution is to get your car in the garage. I know that's easy for me to say in Neb behind my keyboard, but it's worth broaching the topic with her. Maybe she isn't the best driver and is concerned about hitting your car if it's in the garage. Offer to drive it in or out for her. There has to be some sort of accommodation that could be made.
Don't take Starter seriously, I never do haha!

He was just trying to ruffle my feathers as we often trade friendly jabs. It's mostly in jest but it's hard to convey that, even when using emojis. We're actually pretty cool, at least as far as I'm concerned. I don't know if it's mutual on his end.

That out of the way, you proposed some very good points. One of them being that he's probably dealing with a disgruntled acquaintance rather than a common thief. Rex also made an excellent recommendation about putting up some motion sensor lights. That would be a great deterrent.

If the OP wants to catch the person in the act, I'd recommend some cameras.

Guns? Unless Junkly thinks the rims are worth risking being a prison biotch for 5-20 years, I wouldn't recommend it. I don't know if the 'castle doctrine' or 'stand your ground' laws apply in his state, but either way it would be a tough case to argue if the car is outside and he came out of his house with guns ablazing. That's why I said "Here we go" and rolled my eyes when MrBen suggested a 9mm.

Last edited by piper6909; 04-15-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 05:54 PM   #15

Quote:

The would be thief or vandal or whatever doesn't know how to use the tool right.

I'd have your wheel locks off in about 5 min. I should know I get paid to remove them

Now if you want a wheel lock that can't be removed get the ones Jeep is using now. They spin independent of the actual bolt. You can't use a tool to remove them if you don't have the key.

^^^ that brightens my day when a customer who looses there wheel lock key comes in and I tell them they have to cut the wheel off or pay a locksmith a fortune to make a key.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 11:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qingdao View Post
The would be thief or vandal or whatever doesn't know how to use the tool right.

I'd have your wheel locks off in about 5 min. I should know I get paid to remove them

Now if you want a wheel lock that can't be removed get the ones Jeep is using now. They spin independent of the actual bolt. You can't use a tool to remove them if you don't have the key.

^^^ that brightens my day when a customer who looses there wheel lock key comes in and I tell them they have to cut the wheel off or pay a locksmith a fortune to make a key.
I can get these at a Jeep dealer? They’ll definitely fit the wheels?

If so, I’ll go score them tomorrow morning. I’m not really sleeping well knowing that someone is deliberately after my car.

Gone to IMS heaven, 2001 Lapis blue over blue.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:11 AM   #17
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Yeah, Piper!~ LOL. You know I'm just razzing ya.

Everyone else... I don't bite. Hard.

My wheels, stock, don't have locks. I've spacers... and don't want to go hunting for proper locking lugs. Plus... thge wheels are stock.

On my Edge I did strip the lock tool... and the tire shop had to wrench off the locks. I had purchased four new lugs from AZ and when the tire gut went to reinstall the wheels he informed me that the four lugs I had purchased were smaller than the originals.

Good, I told him. If anyone wants to steal my 22's they better bring more than a tire iron.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:21 AM   #18
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post

^^ This!!

Get the car in a garage one way or another or you will continue to have it broken into, keyed, polluted, wheels stolen, tires slashed for the rest of your life. Night gremlins who roam around doing theft and vandalism at 3am are disturbed individuals with a pretty big grudge against society. They see a Porsche as a symbol of everything they hate about their life and can't help but vandalize one they come across on the street. It will never end so get your own place with your own garage and you will sleep much better. Either that or sell the car and get a Ford beater that no one will notice.

Wheel locks will just encourage them to slash your soft top or something else. They will not solve the problem.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:22 AM   #19

Yep, tons of Haters out there now.
To the OP, get your girlfriend's mom out of the house. Problem solved.
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 05:49 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkley View Post
I can get these at a Jeep dealer? They’ll definitely fit the wheels?

If so, I’ll go score them tomorrow morning. I’m not really sleeping well knowing that someone is deliberately after my car.
You know I brought it up because that style is like impossible to crack, but as I was typing it I thought to myself "man, new jeeps use wheel bolts like the Porsche... seem like a similar size..."

I haven't seen (or haven't bothered to look) closely at the stock Porsche style mating surface on the lug bolts but it might work if you can get the right thread pitch.

I want to say that the Jeeps use a 60 degree conical mating surface. but don't take my word for it. Aren't Porsche wheels a spherical surface?

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote