Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2020, 11:43 AM   #1

Aftermarket vs oem coolant tank?

Anyone have experience with the aftermarket coolant tanks?

I’ve replaced the tank on a Boxster two different times so I know what a pain it is. At this point I can do it pretty quickly.

Junkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkley View Post

I’ve replaced the tank on a Boxster two different times so I know what a pain it is. At this point I can do it pretty quickly.
Yes, most of the aftermarket tanks are junk and fail quickly. Porsche, meanwhile, has updated the tank to make it more durable. We don't use anything but factory.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Yes, most of the aftermarket tanks are junk and fail quickly. Porsche, meanwhile, has updated the tank to make it more durable. We don't use anything but factory.
Junkley, welcome to the forum. Do some reading. There's much, much great reading and great wisdom shared in these pages.

And JFP is one of the guys to listen to. If he says OEM... it's OEM.
Old 03-25-2020, 01:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkley View Post

No. No. No. Just no.

Get a factory tank. Pay the extra. Aftermarket are junk.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #5

If you dig through various threads here on the forum, members have reported that they've had to change aftermarket tanks to an upwards of three times. Tough lesson and mistake. Problem was solved after getting the original Porsche tank.

I changed my coolant tank last summer after reading how a member went through the painful experience of having to change it three times, I bit the bullet and got an original to make life easier. So far, so good!
Old 03-25-2020, 06:15 PM   #6

Garage
Definitely go OEM. Aftermarket tanks will cost you more time and money in the long run.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:19 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies!

Note that I do search and read before I ask questions. If it’s been awhile since the issue has been discussed I ask again in case there’s some updated parts of information. Seems to me if everyone is buying OEM tanks the aftermarket makers would up their game, since they’re likely selling few of them. That’s why I ask.

I don’t actually need to replace my tank yet but I know it’s coming from the stress of oil cooler failure. So I’ll get an oem one in advance and once I get the system sparkly clean I’ll swap it out.

Where’s the best price on an OEM tank? How do I know I’m actually getting an oem part?
Old 03-25-2020, 07:27 PM   #8

Your best bet is likely a your local Porsche dealer. It appears you're in LA, so you have a handful of options to choose from. Pelican also sells it - make sure you buy the "Porsche" branded one. It will have "OEM" in the SKU. Might have to shop around to get the best deal.

I ended up getting mine from my local Porsche dealer seeing as 1. I'm up North 2. Shipping would have cost me dearly 3. The exchange rate would have cost me near double

Last edited by bcrdukes; 03-25-2020 at 07:31 PM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Your best bet is likely a your local Porsche dealer. It appears you're in LA, so you have a handful of options to choose from. Pelican also sells it - make sure you buy the "Porsche" branded one. It will have "OEM" in the SKU. Might have to shop around to get the best deal.
On it. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2020, 06:23 PM   #10

Just my .o2 - you will not save any money buying a non-OEM tank. You may save $100 on the price of the tank, but that quickly disappears when you have to replace the tank before you have even gotten the credit card bill. Don’t ask me how I know......when it comes to this miserable-to-replace item, one does get what one pays for.

robdelorenzo is offline   Reply With Quote