Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 05:26 AM   #1
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Won't Start - I think it's the immobilizer

I was on my way home from work, my wife called to say that my alarm (horn/lights) on the Boxster was going off. I don't know what triggered it. When I got home, the alarm was going off so I put the key in and tried to start it but it wouldn't turn over so I took the positive battery cable off to stop the alarm and then put it back on...but now the car won't start. I'm almost certain that it triggered the immobilizer but I don't know how to reset it to get the car to start again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Also to note: the lock/unlock buttons on my key fob do not work so it can only be locked manually (not sure if that is a part of the reset process). Thanks again for any advice!

2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
imari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:34 AM   #2

Garage
First check the immobilizer for anything strange. Disconnect the battery, move the driver's seat, and take out the immobilizer. Check the fuse on it for signs of damage or being blown out. If that's fine, open the case up and make sure the board doesn't have corrosion or liquid damage on it.
cornontherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornontherob View Post
First check the immobilizer for anything strange. Disconnect the battery, move the driver's seat, and take out the immobilizer. Check the fuse on it for signs of damage or being blown out. If that's fine, open the case up and make sure the board doesn't have corrosion or liquid damage on it.
X2

If you do open it up and find moisture. Let it dry out for awhile and pray that it didn't fry anything. Most likely it did though. Then you need to see how moisture got down there.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
New Porsche Fan

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornontherob View Post
I will do this as it has been raining while I was out of town and there does seem to be some "dampness" in the inside....hope it's not damaged.

Thanks!
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
imari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imari View Post
I will do this as it has been raining while I was out of town and there does seem to be some "dampness" in the inside....hope it's not damaged.

Thanks!
I believe rain is a far more serious threat to these cars than the IMSB ever dreamed of being!
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:07 PM   #6

Replace your key fob with a generic from China:

Replacement 3 Button Case for Porsche 911 996 Boxster s 986 Remote Key Fob | eBay

There are youtube instructions on how to do this. All you really doing is moving the transponder chip from one to another. I replaced mine with the Carrera gt setup and it works fine.
madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:55 AM   #7
Luckyed

Garage
Did you have to have the new key blade cut or did you use the original key blade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmodz View Post
Replace your key fob with a generic from China:

Replacement 3 Button Case for Porsche 911 996 Boxster s 986 Remote Key Fob | eBay

There are youtube instructions on how to do this. All you really doing is moving the transponder chip from one to another. I replaced mine with the Carrera gt setup and it works fine.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:45 PM   #8

Hi, I made an immobilizer repair procedure here: Turn the key no response !! 2000 Boxster base
irogag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:39 AM   #9

Sounds like your immobilizer is damaged. Here is a video of my 986 with a bad unit, and how I found to fix it.

Brian

https://youtu.be/BOB2cL2J6XU
Brian Minson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:03 AM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by irogag View Post
Hi, I made an immobilizer repair procedure here: Turn the key no response !! 2000 Boxster base
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Minson View Post
Sounds like your immobilizer is damaged. Here is a video of my 986 with a bad unit, and how I found to fix it.

Brian

https://youtu.be/BOB2cL2J6XU
What’s happening, here?
This is all very strange.

particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote