Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 06:26 AM   #1
New Porsche Fan
 
imari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 122
Garage
Won't Start - I think it's the immobilizer

I was on my way home from work, my wife called to say that my alarm (horn/lights) on the Boxster was going off. I don't know what triggered it. When I got home, the alarm was going off so I put the key in and tried to start it but it wouldn't turn over so I took the positive battery cable off to stop the alarm and then put it back on...but now the car won't start. I'm almost certain that it triggered the immobilizer but I don't know how to reset it to get the car to start again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Also to note: the lock/unlock buttons on my key fob do not work so it can only be locked manually (not sure if that is a part of the reset process). Thanks again for any advice!

__________________
2001 Black Boxster
2004 Red Vespa 150cc
2006 Black Maserati QP
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
imari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:34 AM   #2
Registered User
 
cornontherob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 273
Garage
First check the immobilizer for anything strange. Disconnect the battery, move the driver's seat, and take out the immobilizer. Check the fuse on it for signs of damage or being blown out. If that's fine, open the case up and make sure the board doesn't have corrosion or liquid damage on it.
cornontherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
Registered User
 
itsnotanova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bastrop, Tx
Posts: 2,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornontherob View Post
First check the immobilizer for anything strange. Disconnect the battery, move the driver's seat, and take out the immobilizer. Check the fuse on it for signs of damage or being blown out. If that's fine, open the case up and make sure the board doesn't have corrosion or liquid damage on it.
X2

If you do open it up and find moisture. Let it dry out for awhile and pray that it didn't fry anything. Most likely it did though. Then you need to see how moisture got down there.
__________________
Woody
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 01:23 PM   #4
New Porsche Fan
 
imari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 122
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornontherob View Post
First check the immobilizer for anything strange. Disconnect the battery, move the driver's seat, and take out the immobilizer. Check the fuse on it for signs of damage or being blown out. If that's fine, open the case up and make sure the board doesn't have corrosion or liquid damage on it.
I will do this as it has been raining while I was out of town and there does seem to be some "dampness" in the inside....hope it's not damaged.


Thanks!
__________________
2001 Black Boxster
2004 Red Vespa 150cc
2006 Black Maserati QP
2008 Black VW Eos
2010 Charcoal Ford Flex
imari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
Registered User
 
911monty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California Central Coast
Posts: 1,274
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imari View Post
I will do this as it has been raining while I was out of town and there does seem to be some "dampness" in the inside....hope it's not damaged.


Thanks!
I believe rain is a far more serious threat to these cars than the IMSB ever dreamed of being!
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:07 PM   #6
Registered User
 
madmodz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 174
Replace your key fob with a generic from China:

Replacement 3 Button Case for Porsche 911 996 Boxster s 986 Remote Key Fob | eBay

There are youtube instructions on how to do this. All you really doing is moving the transponder chip from one to another. I replaced mine with the Carrera gt setup and it works fine.
madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:55 AM   #7
Luckyed
 
Luckyed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 253
Garage
Did you have to have the new key blade cut or did you use the original key blade?


Quote:
Originally Posted by madmodz View Post
Replace your key fob with a generic from China:

Replacement 3 Button Case for Porsche 911 996 Boxster s 986 Remote Key Fob | eBay

There are youtube instructions on how to do this. All you really doing is moving the transponder chip from one to another. I replaced mine with the Carrera gt setup and it works fine.

__________________
2001 Base 2.7 - Arctic Silver - 5 speed - Comfort Top -
3-4 Stalk OBC Upgrade - Double DIN Head Unit
Luckyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page