986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Battery (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/77431-battery.html)

gabba76 03-23-2020 06:26 AM

Battery

Hi

My battery is dead and won't charge, in spite of it being only 2 years old.

I started the Car fine only 1.5 months ago.

Any ideas of why this had happened?

I need a new battery and was wondering if the group is suggestion of make and model to get? Im
Based in Oslo, Norway.

Thanks

Regards
Morten

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert986 03-23-2020 10:29 AM

If it sat in the car for 1,5 month itīs fairly normal that it has drained without a maintainer.
If you try an old style charger without all the monitoring etc it might be able to force the battery to start charging.

Regarding a new battery, I dont really have any good suggestions.

JFP in PA 03-23-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabba76 (Post 613861)
Hi

My battery is dead and won't charge, in spite of it being only 2 years old.

I started the Car fine only 1.5 months ago.

Any ideas of why this had happened?

I need a new battery and was wondering if the group is suggestion of make and model to get? Im
Based in Oslo, Norway.

Thanks

Regards
Morten

Get an AGM battery, and a Ctek battery maintainer.

gabba76 03-23-2020 12:41 PM

Great, many thanks

Fuzzuki 03-23-2020 03:02 PM

The alarm discharges the battery quite quickly.

bcrdukes 03-23-2020 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzuki (Post 613896)
The alarm discharges the battery quite quickly.

I second this. And the LED on the factory radio, which can be disabled. I've been dealing with battery discharging every winter as I do not drive my car in the winter at all, and with no place to charge it. I've had to resort to starting it up every few days and driving it up and down the underground parking garage to ensure the battery is maintained.

pilut2 03-24-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 613902)
. I've had to resort to starting it up every few days and driving it up and down the underground parking garage to ensure the battery is maintained.

Make sure that you are letting the car get to full operating temperature before shutting it off or else you risk internal corrosion and engine damage over the long term. It might be better to remove the battery and charge it occasionally over the winter.

gabba76 03-24-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 613879)
Get an AGM battery, and a Ctek battery maintainer.

Ordered, collected via drive - in and installed AGM battery today. The entire process took less than 1 hour. Thank you for valuable insight into what might cause the drainage..

My car is parked in a secure garage during winter so disabeling alarm could help?

Regards
Morten

PS: I have another question with regards to an audio Upgrade. Would this improve or cause problems vis a vis battery lifetime?

gabba76 03-24-2020 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilut2 (Post 613957)
Make sure that you are letting the car get to full operating temperature before shutting it off or else you risk internal corrosion and engine damage over the long term. It might be better to remove the battery and charge it occasionally over the winter.

Many thanks for this, will do!

JFP in PA 03-24-2020 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabba76 (Post 613960)
Ordered, collected via drive - in and installed AGM battery today. The entire process took less than 1 hour. Thank you for valuable insight into what might cause the drainage..

My car is parked in a secure garage during winter so disabeling alarm could help?

Regards
Morten

PS: I have another question with regards to an audio Upgrade. Would this improve or cause problems vis a vis battery lifetime?

If you have the Ctek attached, you don't need to do anything else.

bcrdukes 03-24-2020 05:22 PM

I'm not sure if you can bypass / disable the alarm. If someone knows a way, I would appreciate if the procedure is shared.

Let us know how the AGM battery goes. I may consider this if it works out.