Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2020, 04:33 PM   #1

CDR 220 faceplate

Hi All,

The lights on the faceplate of my original-to-the-car CDR 220 have gone dark. The radio and CD player still work fine. If I get just a new faceplate and pop it in will I be good to go?

Thanks,
Stephen

Allegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I would be concerned about the radio code. Is it stored in the face plate or the main body? Have you pulled it all out and checked all of the connections? Try unplugging and reconnect?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
I would be concerned about the radio code. Is it stored in the face plate or the main body? Have you pulled it all out and checked all of the connections? Try unplugging and reconnect?
I bought a CDR-210 faceplate, brand new from becker for my old head unit. I just popped it in and it worked fine. I doubt that the CDR-220 would be any different.

My CDR-220 faceplate lights up, but I don't have any letters/numbers on the LCD anymore. I still have sounds, (CD, AUX, radio etc.).
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Yeah, the code is what I'm concerned about. The faceplate lost a few of its lights months ago. Then went dark.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #5

You’ll be good. If not just ask for a new code on here or renntech. I replaced a screen recently from an old unit but can’t remember if I used the same code or a new one. Either way asking for your code on renntech will get you what you need, there is a huge thread and you get feedback in about 24hours.
Shawn
Old 03-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Send it to me and I’ll replace the LEDs.
I have a bunch of OEM orange/amber.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #7

Garage
If the other suggestions don't pan out, let me know, I have a CDR220 with radio code sitting in storage that I can part with.
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 07:22 AM   #8

Thanks to all. Right now I'm thinking it would be smarter to upgrade to a Continental head unit. Then I get Bluetooth also.
Old 04-14-2020, 02:45 PM   #9

Just an update on this for those that are interested.

I purchased another used CDR-220 from a forum user. When it arrived, I simply swapped the faceplates.

I was asked to reenter the security code (of the existing deck still installed and NOT the "new" one) and it fired right up. No issues.

Hope that helps out.
Zzorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #10
Racer Boy

I installed a Continental head unit and I really like it. It sounds much better, looks OEM, and overall it works great.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 03:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Send it to me and I’ll replace the LEDs.
I have a bunch of OEM orange/amber.
Hi particlewave. It’s been a couple of years since your reply, about replacing the LEDs on a Becker CDR-220 circuit board. I’d like to ask you about this.

My display is showing no characters all of a sudden. The LED backlight for the pushbuttons are still working and there is some background illumination of the display screen. I have cleaned all contacts. No go. No characters on the screen. Other than this display problem, the radio works fine. All the pushbuttons work. This suggests the problem is just with the display.

The fault could be with the display screen, or with the array of LEDs that sit behind it. Your comment suggests the latter, though I am curious about this.

Can you please tell me what repairs have worked for you? Any clues will be appreciated.

Regards, Valden.

Valden is offline   Reply With Quote