Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
01 Basalt Metallic 986

Garage
Stupid mistake while taking the highway...

Went on a steep slope as I late entered the highway. It happened the same day I changed the front swaybar links and bushings. The Koni shocks are fairly new but I checked for leakage anyways but I didn't find any. I'll check again later.

Immediately after the incident, the steering wheel was more to the right than usual (Was already very slightly to the right) and now the car pulls slightly to the right too. I am mostly concerned about frame bending or damage. The spacing between the fenders and other body panels don't look out of ordinary.

I took the car to a local tire shop to get the wheels balanced and only one of the wheels was slightly bent but they were able to balance all of them and the car does not vibrate at high speeds. I will probably get the car aligned tomorrow at my preferred shop.

The one side of the undercarriage under the front trunk is a little bent and scuffed. I stood in the trunk where it was bent up and I was able to pop it back down. In regards to the exposed metal, I bought some Rustoleum Bedliner and sprayed it up to prevent any rust, and it looks great again but I'm still worried about the frame.

Last edited by JimmyBad; 03-06-2020 at 05:55 PM.
JimmyBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
Racer Boy

Do the doors open and close okay? How about the front hood?

If you are lucky, the alignment will take care of things. You may have slightly tweaked something in the suspension. A good alignment shop will be able to identify anything that is amiss.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:13 PM   #3
01 Basalt Metallic 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
Do the doors open and close okay? How about the front hood?

If you are lucky, the alignment will take care of things. You may have slightly tweaked something in the suspension. A good alignment shop will be able to identify anything that is amiss.
All doors and trunks close and open with no issue. Nothing is out of ordinary besides the pull which is only noticeable on the highway when I remove my hands off the steering wheel. I am thinking that I may have shocked the suspension system and put some stress on some of the arms, also causing the adjustment bolts to move. I hope.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:28 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

"on a steep slope as I late entered the highway"

What does that mean? What did you do to eff things up?
Old 03-07-2020, 04:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post

Yeah, I was trying to figure out what happened myself.

Jimmy,
Luckily the frame rails are higher than the frunk bottom. Most likely it didn't suffer serious damage. Hopefully just jarred it out of alignment, or maybe bent some suspension parts.

piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:11 AM   #6
01 Basalt Metallic 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post

Soooo.... I was supposed to enter the highway one night when I was driving, but I forgot to. When I remembered, It was already very late and the entrance lane was already merging with the highway. I overreacted and went over a steep upward slope "reentering" the highway.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:15 AM   #7
01 Basalt Metallic 986

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Yeah, I was trying to figure out what happened myself.

Jimmy,
Luckily the frame rails are higher than the frunk bottom. Most likely it didn't suffer serious damage. Hopefully just jarred it out of alignment, or maybe bent some suspension parts.
This makes me feel much better. Thanks for the help!