Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #1
ISSIMI

Help identifying IMS bearing

I'm interested in picking up a 987.1 S MY2006

Previous owner says the bearing has been replaced. Can someone identify from the pic if the bearing is aftermarket and if the engine is a split case or sealed bearing(M96 or M97)?

The part # on the IMS flange reads 99602406

Last edited by Most_Wanted; 03-03-2020 at 07:04 PM.
Most_Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:35 AM   #2

If that center bolt nut is 22MM, which it looks like it is, it is the non serviceable third design IMS bearing, which would be correct for a 2006 engine. I seriously doubt it has ever been replaced.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:21 AM   #3

The 987 IMSB is indeed non-serviceable, but also a non-issue.
I would, however, be skeptical of a seller that says it has been replaced.
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:31 AM   #4

being so clean, there is the possibility that the previous owner changed the IMS 'flange only' with the improved seal as the IMS itself cannot be removed without complete engine disassembling as mentioned below...
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
ISSIMI

Great, I was hoping it was the larger updated IMS bearing. I read, in rare cases the MY06 can still potentially have the smaller single row bearing used in 2001.

Yea I told the owner too, if it is a sealed case bearing, I doubt it's been replaced. Just to clarify current owner stated the previous owners to him replaced the bearing. He said it was the first owner that stated the bearing was replaced. I'm dealing with owner number 3.
Most_Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Most_Wanted View Post
Great, I was hoping it was the larger updated IMS bearing. I read, in rare cases the MY06 can still potentially have the smaller single row bearing used in 2001.

Yea I told the owner too, if it is a sealed case bearing, I doubt it's been replaced. Just to clarify current owner stated the previous owners to him replaced the bearing. He said it was the first owner that stated the bearing was replaced. I'm dealing with owner number 3.
Most Wanted (..!)

IF by any chance you still have Not installed the gearbox yet, you may want to remove the outer seal on the IMS bearing to allow the engine oil to lubricate the bearing.

But.. to do it properly, first you will need to lock the crank at TDC, lock the camshafts, remove the tensioners and THEN, remove the flange so you can remove the seal from the IMS.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:02 PM   #7

Here's what the small OEM serviceable IMS bearing flange looks like from a 2005 987. I agree with others that it's unlikely the bearing was actually replaced. LN Engineering and some other replacement bearings usually come with their own IMS bearing flange with their name stamped on it. The bigger factory bearing is much more reliable and removing the bearing seal may improve its lubrication.

RobT

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

RobT987 is offline   Reply With Quote