Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2020, 04:57 PM   #1

Daytime Running Lights Advice?

I have a 986 that I imported from the US into Canada. Currently it's in the bodyshop and soon i'll be able to get it on the road - but not till the snow is gone.

Since the laws here require all cars to have daytime running lights, just wanted to hear what the latest opinions are.

Should I slap on some LED's on the bumper inserts or do the fuse box jump trick?

I am kinda leaning towards LED's because I have read that having the lights on all the time isn't a good thing. DRL's are usually supposed to be a much lower beam anyway so I really don't want them on ALL the time. FYI I have the Litronics headlights.

There's also the option of having the fog light as the DRL? I'm not clear on this.

What do you guys suggest?

9864ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:03 PM   #2

Garage
I have done the DR hack on both my Boxsters and really like the result. It turns the fog lights on any time the ignition is on. I also installed LED bulbs in the fogs. Search for DRL Hack and you shall find. It takes about 5 minutes to install with a fuse jumper to the relay.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 05:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
I have done the DR hack on both my Boxsters and really like the result. It turns the fog lights on any time the ignition is on. I also installed LED bulbs in the fogs. Search for DRL Hack and you shall find. It takes about 5 minutes to install with a fuse jumper to the relay.
Yes I read about the DRL hack, something about jumping fuses 6 and 9?
What you're mentioning is a bit different though with fuse jumper to relay so will have to do some more research.

So what you mentioned activates the foglights only then as DRL's and I would imagine the Canadian spec cars do the same thing right?

If that's the case that's perfect for me.
thanks!
Old 02-25-2020, 05:55 PM   #4

Quote:
My '01 has the fogs switched over to LED DRLs, and I've been wanting to revert back to stock. Now I know where to look!
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:21 AM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
Do the DRL hack and put LED bulbs in. I have hd that for years in my Boxster, works great and no problems
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Do the DRL hack and put LED bulbs in. I have hd that for years in my Boxster, works great and no problems
Just ordered some LED's for the fog lights.

Just wondering if you used the same method using these parts that another member posted?

(10) inches of 16 gauge insulated wire

(2) Fuse taps, Radio Shack P/N 270-1204

(2) Female Quick Disconnectors, Radio Shack P/N 64-3131

And also to clarify, to activate the fogs as DRL's you have to jump from fuse #7 to Relay #12? I'm an idiot with electrical so want to be 100% sure on everything.

I also found something that might be cleaner and wondering if this would be an alternative to the fuse taps and quick disconnects - at least on the fuse box side.

I also read that it's important to distinguish which side of the fuse terminals is the hot side. What I understand is that the fuse tap has to link to the opposite side of the hot lead so that it will enable the fuse to blow if there's any issues.

Old 02-26-2020, 07:09 AM   #7

Garage
You only need one fuse tap. One relay controls both fog lights.

I used a female spade connector, opened it up, widened the slot so the relay leg would fit through it and cut the excess off the sides. Slid the fuse leg though the slot and put the relay back in. Took all of 5 minutes to complete.

Yes, you do need to put the fuse tap in the correct way, but that's easy to test. Pull the fuse and if the fog lights go out you have done it correctly.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:19 AM   #8

Quote:
You only need one fuse tap. One relay controls both fog lights.

I used a female spade connector, opened it up, widened the slot so the relay leg would fit through it and cut the excess off the sides. Slid the fuse leg though the slot and put the relay back in. Took all of 5 minutes to complete.

Yes, you do need to put the fuse tap in the correct way, but that's easy to test. Pull the fuse and if the fog lights go out you have done it correctly.
Thanks for the input. It looks like there are a few ways to do this but with the same desired result.

Do you think getting that fuse holder tap (below pic) is overkill or still a good idea? I'd rather do a more plug n' play method than fabricating something. No choice on the relay end though will have to make it work.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #9

Garage
I used the fuse holder tap identical to the one in your picture! Its dead simple and pretty foolproof. Just do it slowly the first time. I have two Boxsters, so I had one slow install and one done in the blink of an eye.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:40 AM   #10

Quote:
I used the fuse holder tap identical to the one in your picture! Its dead simple and pretty foolproof. Just do it slowly the first time. I have two Boxsters, so I had one slow install and one done in the blink of an eye.
That's awesome thank you. I've noticed there are different sizes for these taps. Do you know which size the boxster fuses are so i can get the right fuse holder tap? I'd check but it's in the shop right now.
:dance:

Old 02-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #11
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9864ever View Post
That's awesome thank you. I've noticed there are different sizes for these taps. Do you know which size the boxster fuses are so i can get the right fuse holder tap? I'd check but it's in the shop right now.
:dance:

Pull a fuse... note the size of the metal ends... buy the tap that matches. I've one or two of those installed and they run ~$6/$7.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:00 AM   #12

The car is the shop right now so can't check. I'd like to order these online asap too...
If anyone can tell me which fuse type the 986 has based on this image that would be great. Looked online but not very clear which ones they have.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:13 PM   #13

Old 02-26-2020, 02:31 PM   #14

Thanks Burg!
Old 06-24-2021, 12:40 PM   #15

Please help with connecting to the relay

If I understand this correctly I use a fuse tap for Fuse #7 and run a wire to a pin on relay 12.
You wrote that you used a female spade connector, opened it up, widened the slot so the relay leg would fit through it and cut the excess off the sides. Slid the fuse leg though the slot and put the relay back in.
What slot did you widen? What sides did you cut the excess off of? Maybe a photo?
Thanks!

dragonflyoh is offline   Reply With Quote