Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2020, 02:21 PM   #1

Key fob

Just bought car 2003 boxster S. Can’t get either key fob to activate anything. Any suggestions?

Taildraggerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #2

Dead battery?
I'm assuming putting the key in the door/ignition works fine.
Otherwise, you may have an issue with the receiver on your dash.
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:39 PM   #3

Garage
One from 2 of my Boxster S 2003 keys died yesterday. I mean FOB does not work. It looked like batery has gone so I changed it. Red indicator LED is flashing when buton push but it does not remotely open car or trunk or frunk. But I can manualy open car and also start car. Second key still works fine, it was not in use so much.

I red somewhere there is limited volume for each key of car untill memory of unit in car will stop comunicate with key. Not sure if this can be true.
But did not find enywhere how to refresh it or reprograme it.
And only way to solve is buy new key from dealer. Quite expensive solution.

Anyone has any idea?
Thanks a lot in advance.

Last edited by M4tus; 02-25-2020 at 12:49 AM.
M4tus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:32 AM   #4

Have the same issue on my 01. Red light flashes but nothing happens.
Black_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:17 PM   #5

same problem. I think particlewave was repairing them for folks, but you need to have it matched up to immobilizer codes from a dealer
safesaxbdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:49 PM   #6

The owners manual states "if the car is not started or unlocked with the remote control within 5 days the remote control standby function is switched off (to prevent a discharge of the vehicles battery).
If this is the case, insert the key and quickly lock and then unlock the drivers door and then immediately open the door, insert the key into the ignition, and start the car. This should reactivate the remote fob if remote standby is the problem.
BobRickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:39 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRickel View Post
The owners manual states "if the car is not started or unlocked with the remote control within 5 days the remote control standby function is switched off (to prevent a discharge of the vehicles battery).

If this is the case, insert the key and quickly lock and then unlock the drivers door and then immediately open the door, insert the key into the ignition, and start the car. This should reactivate the remote fob if remote standby is the problem.
The way I do it is: I stick the key into the driver’s door, turn the key to unlock the door. Then I press the lock/unlock button on the fob while the key is still in the door. Seems to work and the fob will function again. No need to start the car.
Old 07-04-2021, 03:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveno View Post
The way I do it is: I stick the key into the driver’s door, turn the key to unlock the door. Then I press the lock/unlock button on the fob while the key is still in the door. Seems to work and the fob will function again. No need to start the car.
Thanks for the tip. This worked for me, also. I thought I had a bad switch and was going to have to solder in a new one. The frunk and trunk push buttons (and lights) worked fine, just not the door lock button (and light) on the remote.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:31 AM   #9

Garage
Key Fob still not working

I have two keys. One works perfectly, the other does not lock/unlock the car remotely. Changed the battery, and the red LED flashes like the other key. I’ve held the key in the unlock position in the drivers door, then pressed the unlock button in all manner of combinations. Still no luck.

Is this a dealer only fix?

Cheers
sfkjeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:59 PM   #10

Only fix is a new key fob & programming...unless you have the original paper tag of the key fob
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRickel View Post
If it helps, in another manual states this ".... 1.- In this case, unlock the driver's door with the key at the door lock, Leave the door closed in order to prevent the alarm system from being triggered. 2.- Press button 1 on the remote control, the remote control is now activated again."

Not luck for me anyway with any of both procedures.