Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 07:49 PM   #1

Knocking when clutch is engaging/ in gear rev with clutch pushed in?

Video: https://youtu.be/SK6oIHs8vBY
Note: here you can hear the noise when reversing, then I push the clutch in completely and rev it but you can still hear the noise. Then I put it in neutral and rev with the clutch in but can still hear it. Then I put it in neutral with the clutch out and the noise stops.

Ok, here’s the story. Any help is appreciated. So on Saturday my dad and I changed my oil and washed the engine bay. We bought the ramps to help, and he insisted on backing it onto them. He was really burning the clutch when backing it on; keeping it around 4K rpm while slowly backing onto the ramps (Don’t know if this is the culprit but thought I’d add it). It had the burning clutch smell and everything. We changed the oil and all was well until about 15 miles later when I was taking my friend for a ride, I pushed the car fairly hard, racing it a bit. We pulled into a gas station and when I started to drive out, I heard the noise for the first time. I didn’t really hear it again and I took the car to a cars and coffee on Sunday morning. I heard it again when leaving the meet, and off and on from then. But today I decided to drive it again. It was all good, I drove it around the block but when I pulled back up to my house I heard it and started recording it. That’s the video. Also the clutch is pretty new, the old owner replaced it. Help?

Last edited by Black_Boxster; 02-11-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Black_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:03 PM   #2
Who's askin'?

I'll be honest: for me, EVERY sound I hear on a video sounds like a rod knock. Haha.
It's just so hard (at least for me) to really "understand" a sound on a video like that.

So running mostly from your description, and then rolling some things out with the sound... I'm gonna guess a broken finger on the clutch. Its possible its throw-out bearing related, but that sound isn't right for that.

The first step i'd take would be to get it into service mode and then try to isolate the sound and especially where it's coming from.

But I'm betting you'll be pulling that gearbox to look at the clutch.

And don't go trying to blame your dad; YOU were racing it.... it's you're fault. Haha

Seriously though, the rule at my house is, if you were driving it when it happened, you own the breakage.

Keep us posted!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
I'll be honest: for me, EVERY sound I hear on a video sounds like a rod knock. Haha.
It's just so hard (at least for me) to really "understand" a sound on a video like that.

So running mostly from your description, and then rolling some things out with the sound... I'm gonna guess a broken finger on the clutch. Its possible its throw-out bearing related, but that sound isn't right for that.

The first step i'd take would be to get it into service mode and then try to isolate the sound and especially where it's coming from.

But I'm betting you'll be pulling that gearbox to look at the clutch.

And don't go trying to blame your dad; YOU were racing it.... it's you're fault. Haha

Seriously though, the rule at my house is, if you were driving it when it happened, you own the breakage.

Keep us posted!

Damn you really think just a couple “race-y” shifts would mess up the clutch like that? And I’m not trying to blame my dad, just thought I’d mention that in case it was overheated or something haha. I figured it was more than likely my fault.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:16 AM   #4
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Boxster View Post
Damn you really think just a couple “race-y” shifts would mess up the clutch like that? And I’m not trying to blame my dad, just thought I’d mention that in case it was overheated or something haha. I figured it was more than likely my fault.
Hahaha, I was just teasing you.

Let's see what the others think about the sound. But really, best thing you can do is get more information

Old 02-12-2020, 04:10 AM   #5

Like Maytag, I think it's clutch-related. Could be the pressure plate bolts are coming loose. No, I'm not sure. It's just a wild guess.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:26 AM   #6

It might sound like it's clutch related but The first thing I would check is the heat shields on the cats. Easy to check easy to fix. I would then check the rest of the exhaust system.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:29 PM   #7

Bump to the top
Old 02-13-2020, 11:33 PM   #8
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Boxster View Post
Bump to the top
Why? Why'd you bump it?

Did you check what woody suggested? That's a cheap (free) and easy check.

Did you check what I suggested? Also free, and almost as easy.

What have you learned so far, that changes the advice you've received already?

Old 02-14-2020, 03:25 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

OP gonna beat this dead horse? OP, from this and another forum you've recommendations on how to proceed. Watcha gonna do?

Last edited by Starter986; 02-14-2020 at 03:27 AM.
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote