Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2020, 07:03 AM   #1

Durametric code reader

Will the Durametric reader tell you exactly what the problem is with the car or is it general like the other readers . Thanks frank

flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flmont View Post
Will the Durametric reader tell you exactly what the problem is with the car or is it general like the other readers . Thanks frank
No code read provides diagnostic trees (first do this, if not, do that); all they provide is the code(s) for the technician to read up on. Porsche, when they were still publishing technical data, used to sell OBD II diagnostic manuals, where you could look up the code and then run the precise steps to determine what needs to be done. It has always been a two step process until they introduced the PIWIS system, which contains everything, but can only be leased for $20K a year.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I have a nice OBDII reader and also the Durametric. The Durametric allows you to get deeper into the Porsche brain than the OBDII reader. It will also allow you to turn things on and off individually, i.e. radiator fans for testing purposes. Without having to have the car running and up to temp. The real time graphing feature is also helpful.

I had a recurring CEL light that my OBDII reader could clear but was vague about its source. The Durametric was able to pin point it to something in the trans. I was able to clear it and so far it has yet to come back. (+/- 1 year) Maybe a fluke or I may just be living right.

It's is pricey but worth the expense IMHO. I have recouped my initial expense from the trips saved to my indy. There are several forum members with far more experience with the software than I am. I have just scratched the surface of the software's capabilities. Much like my driving skills to the cars potential.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:31 AM   #4

Thanks for the info,..I do intend on getting one ,.hopefully soon ! I was curious ,...how accurate those units where, Thanks
flmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 09:39 PM   #5

The Durametric also allows you to check some engine condition variables as well such as cam timing Etc. Well worth the $ for DIY guys.

Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote