Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #1
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Watkins Glen

So, I've signed up for the Wednesday, May 6 at Watkins Glen Cups & Saucers (I'm a saucer for sure!). Will I know anybody there?

YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:13 AM   #2

Sounds like a blast! I'd love to, but it's 5 hours away from me and I have no track experience. Have fun! I just signed up for "Taste of the Track" at PittRace on 3/21, though. Maybe I'll do the HPDE in July.

Last edited by piper6909; 02-10-2020 at 04:17 AM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:54 AM   #3
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
Sounds like a blast! I'd love to, but it's 5 hours away from me and I have no track experience. Have fun! I just signed up for "Taste of the Track" at PittRace on 3/21, though. Maybe I'll do the HPDE in July.
Yeah, it’s 5 hours away from me too (and in another country!)
It’s a lovely area and although I’ve not done the track, I’m learning it with my “Project Cars” sim setup!
I urge everyone to try a DE day at least once. :dance:
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
Old 02-10-2020, 05:11 AM   #4
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
It's only a couple hours from me. I've been there many times. I have driven on it a few times, but never in a race or DE. The area is lovely. There are tons of wineries, breweries and restaurants. I'm sure you'll have a great time.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
I urge everyone to try a DE day at least once. :dance:
I agree. My wife did hers last year, I bought the car as a gift to her (but I think I'm I'm enjoying it more! )

I'm looking to do a DE event in July.

Have fun at Watkins Glen! Are you driving your Boxster down or are you trailering it?
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:49 AM   #6

James you will enjoy Watkins Glen. The track has a lot of elevation changes as I'm sure you're seeing on your simulator. One of my challenges as a first-timer there was to find the entry gate which wasn't included in the track pack by the organizers of the HPDE I attended, I ended up driving around the outside of the entire track as I guessed wrong on the first day of the event. For my event it was gate 3 on Route 16 Montour-Townsend Road, I think that is the only entrance that goes into the pits.

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:30 AM   #7
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
You can get to the paddock from gate 2 on the same road as gate 3. Gate 2 will take you past the outside of the Esses, you go under them towards the left and end up in the infield near the paddock. Gate 3 only works when the track is not hot as far as I know. Gate 3 is more of a straight line to the paddock but cuts across the track between turn 1 and the Esses.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
James you will enjoy Watkins Glen. The track has a lot of elevation changes as I'm sure you're seeing on your simulator. One of my challenges as a first-timer there was to find the entry gate which wasn't included in the track pack by the organizers of the HPDE I attended, I ended up driving around the outside of the entire track as I guessed wrong on the first day of the event. For my event it was gate 3 on Route 16 Montour-Townsend Road, I think that is the only entrance that goes into the pits.
Paul, you car looks great, I love that color!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Paul, you car looks great, I love that color!
Thanks, some day I might even be able to drive it reasonably ok!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
Old 02-10-2020, 10:53 AM   #10
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Thanks, some day I might even be able to drive it reasonably ok!
So Paul, have you been on the track with your new motor? If so, what are your impressions?
Old 02-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
So Paul, have you been on the track with your new motor? If so, what are your impressions?
Hi James, yes, I did NJMP Thunderbolt, Mt. Tremblant, Watkins Glen and VIR last year with the new motor. It definitely has more oomph, accelerates faster and hits higher speeds at the end of long straights. Also, there are places where I can leave it in 4th gear, brake and then roll on more throttle rather than downshifting into 3rd, brake and then accelerate and shift back into 4th. The thing is, with my current experience and skill levels, I need more power like a moose needs a hat rack. But it will be there when I'm ready to take advantage of it!
Old 02-10-2020, 07:12 PM   #12

Garage
While in Watkins Glen take a tour of the original track that was run on public roads through and around the town, before the current track was built. The people who raced there were crazy / brave. You can find the layout downtown in racing souvenir shops.

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote