Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
Super Moderator

Now Available: Porsche 986/996 MK1 Headlight Conversion Covers

AVAILABLE NOW! Click Here to Shop Variel Design Headlight covers!

These headlight covers fit all 1999-2001 Porsche 911 (996 Mk1) models (excluding Turbo) and 1996-2004 Porsche Boxster (986) models. The covers will convert your car's headlights to a classic round Porsche headlight look and are made of high quality polyurethane (the same material as car bumpers) that is impact and temperature resistant. This all-original design was created working with an automotive industry 3D designer referencing a 3D scan of the original headlight to ensure optimal fitment. There is no comparison with cheap, fiberglass covers on the market.

The covers come as unpainted black polyurethane, prepped for painting, and can be adhered with 3m double sided tape or silicon adhesive. It is recommended to put a headlight protective film (e.g., Xpel) over the headlights before adhering the covers to ensure easy removal with minimal tape/glue residue.

Please note the covers will cover over the fog lights, however the turn signals remain visible through the oval cutout. The turn signal cutout can be covered over with optional turn signal cutout plug (sold separately). For cars with headlight washer nozzles in the corners, the washers will need to be popped out and removed before installation and the covers will cover over the hole completely.

Last edited by Matt at Pelican Parts; 12-29-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Dmitry at Pelican Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:41 AM   #2

These covers are very high quality, nicely made and look great. One thing that has to be addressed is where the cover meets the edge of the headlight, it is cut too short, see pic. On a black or certain colors you could run a colored tape stripe along that edge and it would cover it. No such luck finding a tape stripe for guards red. Also you should have a option of a set with no turn signal hole. The plug in the hole idea is not the best. I had to return mine.
Just an opinion, trying to be helpful.

Last edited by JBauer; 02-14-2020 at 05:44 AM.
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:35 AM   #3
WALDMEISTER

Garage
The best solution would be to size them a little big bigger, so that everyone can grind/sand them down to their liking. And those could outs should be just cut out markings (blinker/fog light/washer).
But for now, I think they look great and wrap will do the work as a cover up.
As I said before, it seems that the factory gaps were the reason for the wrap work around (just a guess). And there are A LOT of wrap colors choices on the market.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
The best solution would be to size them a little big bigger, so that everyone can grind/sand them down to their liking. And those could outs should be just cut out markings (blinker/fog light/washer).
But for now, I think they look great and wrap will do the work as a cover up.
As I said before, it seems that the factory gaps were the reason for the wrap work around (just a guess). And there are A LOT of wrap colors choices on the market.
I agree but for the amount of time the producer has put into these, working on since 2017, and the price $400+, you shouldnt have to do anything but paint them.
Over the last several years I've tried six different shades of several diff wrap manufacturers for my own projects and have not found a match. I even ordered custom made to color wrap, very expensive, didn't match so if someone finds a color match for guards red let me know. I'd gladly buy some. 😁
Old 02-18-2020, 09:31 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Thanks for the info - we'll mention this to the producer.
Old 02-19-2020, 04:09 PM   #6
Super Moderator

NOW AVAILABLE! -

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PEL986MK1CVR.htm?pn=PEL-986-MK1-CVR&bt=Y&fs=0&SVSVSI=4384
Old 02-20-2020, 03:59 AM   #7
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitry at Pelican Parts View Post
So, Dmitry, does this mean that the anomaly has been corrected? Or, do we still need to fudge with tape or whatever else to correct the design error? Thank you.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #8
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Picked mine up from the customs today. PU chemical smell was not so pleasant, will let them sit outside for a day or 2 and it should be fine, I hope.

I have had all the former plastic headlight covers...THESE ARE NEXT LEVEL, guys!
NONE were fitting any better. Pretty thin and flexible, impressive... so a perfect fit is to be expected. I might take a few photos over the weekend.
As expected, the "gap" is very tiny as the cover can be bent a little, adapting to the slope. It wouldn't make sense IMO to put any more material on the covers, as they would ruin the 4mm gap impression.
I will use a gray wrap for the missing 2mm, I guess, which won't ruin the 4mm gap impression. No one will ever see that little workaround, and if so, I don't care...lol

We will see, but I am very confident. having a perfect solution sitting right here.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Picked mine up from the customs today. PU chemical smell was not so pleasant, will let them sit outside for a day or 2 and it should be fine, I hope.

I have had all the former plastic headlight covers...THESE ARE NEXT LEVEL, guys!
NONE were fitting any better. Pretty thin and flexible, impressive... so a perfect fit is to be expected. I might take a few photos over the weekend.
As expected, the "gap" is very tiny as the cover can be bent a little, adapting to the slope. It wouldn't make sense IMO to put any more material on the covers, as they would ruin the 4mm gap impression.
I will use a gray wrap for the missing 2mm, I guess, which won't ruin the 4mm gap impression. No one will ever see that little workaround, and if so, I don't care...lol

We will see, but I am very confident. having a perfect solution sitting right here.
I couldn't find an acceptable match for guards red. OCD I guess ��

Last edited by JBauer; 03-13-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:13 AM   #10

Just ordered a pair of these. Should receive early next week. Don’t expect great things frankly, but we’ll see.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldcarguy View Post
Just ordered a pair of these. Should receive early next week. Don’t expect great things frankly, but we’ll see.
Please let us know what you think. I'm wondering if they have made any changes.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
Please let us know what you think. I'm wondering if they have made any changes.
Will do! Expensive test
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Old 04-02-2020, 03:19 AM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Will do! Expensive test

Perfect. I’ve been considering these too, so I’m looking forward to what you find. Keep us updated for sure
Old 04-09-2020, 02:08 PM   #14

Well, they’re in and primed. YMMV, but I think these are going to work out well. Again, YMMV but I don’t see the concern regarding the flunk/headlight join. Looks like it will be fine for me. If not, a little 3M satin black wrap should address any issues.

Researching 3M ‘no carrier’ very thin transfer adhesive ‘tapes’ now. Don’t want to use an adhesive that will harm the headlights and don’t want to use a headlight protection film.

In the pic, the covers are just sitting loose on the headlights so don’t judge the final fitment from this.

Hope to paint this weekend. Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2020, 02:11 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Well, they’re in and primed. YMMV, but I think these are going to work out well. Again, YMMV but I don’t see the concern regarding the flunk/headlight join. Looks like it will be fine for me. If not, a little 3M satin black wrap should address any issues.

Researching 3M ‘no carrier’ very thin transfer adhesive ‘tapes’ now. Don’t want to use an adhesive that will harm the headlights and don’t want to use a headlight protection film.

In the pic, the covers are just sitting loose on the headlights so don’t judge the final fitment from this.

Hope to paint this weekend. Stay tuned.

Yes! They look nice. Once they’re painted and fitted I think they’ll look great. Really updates the look of the front end. Again, definitely keep us posted.
Old 04-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #16

Now Available: Porsche 986/996 MK1 Headlight Conversion Covers

Did the final dry fit today. Plan to start painting tomorrow. Had to make the same small trimming mod on each side. It can be seen in the pics. I had no problem to trim and re-contour the edge. Also, I do not have the problem regarding the exposed headlight edge as shown in some posts. YMMV, however due to fender/headlight fitment, how you want the cover positioned, thickness of your tape or adhesive, thickness and fit of headlight film, etc, etc.

To properly test fit I had to apply pressure in the center of the cover to press it to the headlight surface while ensuring that the raised edges around the perimeter were properly positioned. The cover spread toward the edges somewhat when under pressure.

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 04-10-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-12-2020, 04:40 PM   #17

Base coat finished. Generic ‘hyper silver’ for the headlight trim ring with the rest in GT Silver Metallic. Will do a 2k clear coat as soon as the weather cooperates this week.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:05 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Base coat finished. Generic ‘hyper silver’ for the headlight trim ring with the rest in GT Silver Metallic. Will do a 2k clear coat as soon as the weather cooperates this week.

So far so good. Are you doing the paint yourself? I figured I would just take it to the shop, but I may try it myself.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:06 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveno View Post
So far so good. Are you doing the paint yourself? I figured I would just take it to the shop, but I may try it myself.
Piecework things like this I do myself, big things (like the hardtop) I’ll take to a shop. On the Porsche I did the side skirts, side vents, seat backs, head light clear coat and now the headlight covers. Joe Thoth’s painter did the rear spoiler because his price was good. I’ve been painting since I was a teenager working in my dad’s shop, so I’m an ‘ok’ painter. A competent paint shop would have done a better job. It’s a driver not a show car so I’ll be happy with the result if I don’t screw up the 2k clear coat too badly.

IMHO, if you haven’t done a good amount of polyurethane prep and painting I’d go with a competent shop that does a lot of custom work unless you want to gain some experience with the process for future projects.

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 04-13-2020 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:34 AM   #20

Bored today, too humid to clear coat so here’s a before / after pic. The covers are just sitting loose on the headlights, they will mount flush everywhere except the frunk lid and practically flush there because the cover edge tapers to nothing along the frunk lid edge. I deleted the headlight washers and replaced the corner pieces in anticipation of this install, so the before pic is after the washer delete was completed.

3M 950-300 transfer tape arriving today. Should not add any detectable mounting height. I’m definitely going to mount them and live with them for a while. First headlight covers I’ve tried that I’m actually considering keeping on the car.

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 04-13-2020 at 07:38 AM.