Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #1

Appropriately lowering the 986

I am considering appropriately lowering my 986 and would welcome some counsel on the ideal set up to make this happen. MY 98 986 currently has the OEM springs and Bilstein Sport shock absorbers. I am looking to lower it for purely for aesthetic purposes, but want to avoid lowering it and then dealing with:

a) the vehicle bottoming out
b) rub issues over bumps or scrubbing the outside edge of the fenders
c) the inability to align the vehicle to OEM specifications. I am open to ordering a set of adjustable arms if it is needed to the align to OEM specs.

My questions: Is H&R the way to go or Eibach will be a better option? and, will Eibach or H&R be compatible with the Bilstein Sport shock absorbers.

Also, is utilizing adjustable coil over a better option for lowering to better meet the requirements I have?

Again, would welcome the counsel of fellow members who have contemplated or made this change to avoid unnecessary headaches.

Looking to add: Ferrari 328 GTS | Classic Rolls Royce
Britrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 07:48 AM   #2

you probably want the m030 ride height. oem lowering springs/shocks/swaybars available at sun coast porsche parts - row m030 kit. you can put the same together using aftermarket; hr or eibach lowering springs, bilstein sport shocks. your call on swaybars (stay away from the hr and eibach offerings here; to stiff and heavy).

Last edited by The Radium King; 01-23-2020 at 07:53 AM. Reason: forum didn't like link to suncoast ...
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #3

Garage
Bilstein Coilovers are probably the best flexible notwithstanding expense.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #4

Does anyone have before and after pics with this setup?
Old 01-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #5
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Koni FSD with H&R M030 spec springs and a pair of adjustable rear toe links.
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #6
TRP

I think this is a great question!

I've considered lowering my S on more than a few occasions. I have the same reservations as Britrover. I've read a few threads about ROW m030 and came away with the conclusion that it's between 15mm and 20mm (6/10" to 3/4") lower than stock S suspension. Is that accurate?

How low are you looking to go Bitrover?

Agree - PSS9 or PSS10 (do they fit our cars?) seem like they would offer the most flexibility.

Edc - I don't question your answer, could you share why that setup works for you? Cost?
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #7
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Because I've owned 2 Boxsters trying standard S suspension, brand new M030, 115k mile old M030 and brand new Koni combo. For my driving which is fast B roads which can be very bumpy and European mountains which are generally quite smooth, it works the best out of what I have experienced on my cars.

The adjustability of a PSS unit is wasted on most.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #8
TRP

Thank you! For me, I like to know a bit if the reasoning behind the conclusion. That's a perfect answer.

The PSS adjust-ability comment is kind of what I figured would happen to me. Buy a feature with 1000 settings and set it once. Seems like a waste.

Did you change anything with the sway bars? or just use stock?

Thanks for the info!

*edit*
I assume these are the Struts you're referring to?:
Anyone tried the new Koni FSD struts?
Old 01-23-2020, 11:37 AM   #9
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
For the Koni combo I kept my existing M030 ARBs or sway bars as you call them. FSD is remarketed as Special Active now.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:49 AM   #10
TRP

Thank you! Excellent info.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:28 PM   #11

I run the Koni Special Active shocks (previously known as FSD) on H&R springs. I love the setup and is great for daily driving, canyon carving, and the occasional track day. Get a good alignment, and it's an absolute blast to drive.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:07 PM   #12

I did a good bit research before doing mine and I settled on the M030 ROW setup. I have a US spec 2004 Boxster S that had US spec non-M030 original parts. My suspension was very tired so I used the opportunity to replace virtually everything suspension related. I went with all OE parts and replaced tie rods, front and rear arms (literally all of them), and fitted M030 springs, front and rear sways, and sway bushings.

It made a massive improvement in the ride quality and lowered just enough for my taste without going crazy and risking bottoming out. I live in the Colorado front range and drive my S daily, year-round. For me, the M030 was the perfect balance between aesthetics, reliability, and driveable comfort.

Good luck on your project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 03:05 AM   #13

Garage
I rebuilt the suspension on my 99 USA spec. I used Eibach lowering springs and Bilstein shocks. I like the ride height and the ride is still confortable.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:01 AM   #14

consider feal coilovers . You can pick your spring rate, adjust your ride height to pretty much any level, and you end up with a rebuildable damper that easily outperforms the stock set up.

Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote