Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 08:22 AM   #1

Ask Porsche Classic to make headlight rubber seals here

I know about the McMaster Carr rubber seal available by the foot and have some for a headlight project I'm currently working on. But it sure would be nice to be able to buy new seals for our headlights from Porsche, even though the price will likely be astronomical for what they are, and it seems there are plenty of people who have otherwise good headlights that would buy them if available.

Since Porsche keeps sending me emails about Porsche Classic parts I decided to take a look at their website and they have a page where you can request parts that currently are not available for purchase here

The part numbers for the seals are 99663117100 (US driver side) and 99663217200 (US passenger side), at least according to my headlights.

If enough of us go to this website and request the parts, maybe Porsche will consider offering them. Who wants to join me and see if we can get a reaction from Porsche?

Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:04 AM   #2

what's the McMaster item number that people use on these headlights?
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:49 AM   #3

1129A992 here - https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/3700
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
Old 01-15-2020, 05:15 PM   #4

Thanks!
I agree that it should be available as a stock part though.
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlebog View Post
Thanks!
I agree that it should be available as a stock part though.
They'd probably cost $150 a piece though 🙄
JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:55 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I've submitted a few request specifically about the headlight seals over the last few years. Never heard anything back unfortunately.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #7

When I was at SEMA in November, I stopped by the BOSCH booth and asked about the seals. I was told to by the guy to get him some part numbers and give him a call. I've been meaning to do that but I've been busy. Let me see what I can find out.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
When I was at SEMA in November, I stopped by the BOSCH booth and asked about the seals. I was told to by the guy to get him some part numbers and give him a call. I've been meaning to do that but I've been busy. Let me see what I can find out.
Thanks Woody!
Old 01-16-2020, 12:03 PM   #9

Requested

I put in a request. The website is sort of a black box though. There really is no way for
Porsche to contact you. In fact, they even say that they won't reply directly. So much for the Porsche Classic experience...

Ryan's986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 04:41 PM   #10

I'm an optimist, figuring if they get enough requests then maybe they do something! But it may well be like pushing the button at a crosswalk and hoping the light will change!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan's986 View Post
I put in a request. The website is sort of a black box though. There really is no way for
Porsche to contact you. In fact, they even say that they won't reply directly. So much for the Porsche Classic experience...

Old 01-22-2020, 08:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Thanks Woody!
Two phone calls and an email. I haven't heard anything yet. I once sold a good pair to a guy that was suppose to have a company in China make some. I never heard from him again either.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:44 AM   #12

"Hi John,
Sorry for the delayed response. I just heard back from the Product Manager and she confirmed we discontinued support of headlight spare parts in 2014. However, she did mention ABL Lighting, a large EU light and spare parts supplier, may offer alternative solutions.
I hope this helps, take care.
Thank you,
Justin Wolf
Bosch Automotive

What drives you, drives us!"
Old 01-24-2020, 07:00 AM   #13

Thanks for the update! The only ABL I found on a google search is ABL Lights Group, a brand of Vignal Lighting, which makes lighting for construction and railway equipment. It looks like Automotive Lighting was originally a 50/50 joint venture between Magneti-Marelli and Bosch and is now 100% owned by Magneti-Marelli, that's probably why Bosch is out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
"Hi John,
Sorry for the delayed response. I just heard back from the Product Manager and she confirmed we discontinued support of headlight spare parts in 2014. However, she did mention ABL Lighting, a large EU light and spare parts supplier, may offer alternative solutions.
I hope this helps, take care.
Thank you,
Justin Wolf
Bosch Automotive

What drives you, drives us!"

Last edited by PaulE; 01-24-2020 at 07:16 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:02 AM   #14

Garage
Steele Rubber

There's a company called Steele Rubber that makes a lot of stuff for American cars. I wonder if enough of us contacted them they would be interested in making them?
ADGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #15

A group buy would be nice. Probably some Chinese vendor could make some up for a reasonable price. I don't know how one would proceed to get in touch with a manufacturer or vendor, tho. Maybe talk to Pelican?
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:52 AM   #16

They just want to sell the headlight assembly with a seal, not just a seal... if they do I bet it is too expensive and you better off buy a whole headlight.
1997 Boxster arctic silver/ red, XNE riveted mahogany/ leather steering wheel & 917-style wood shift knob, Ben’s short shifter, PSE, 996 TB, UDP, stereo/ center console delete, hardtop and speedster humps, daily driver rain or shine or snow!
Boxstard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxstard View Post
They just want to sell the headlight assembly with a seal, not just a seal... if they do I bet it is too expensive and you better off buy a whole headlight.
I'm sure you're right, and with the biodegradeable insulation on the wiring and the inner lenses that burn over time in the halogen units, it's probably a better way to go. But there are a lot of good headlights with bad seals out there.