Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2020, 11:00 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NY Suburbs
Posts: 296
Pieces of Foam in Air Vents

I noticed little pieces of black foam insulation getting stuck in my air vents. I pulled most of them out with a pair of needle nose pliers, but they keep coming. Must be breaking off somewhere upstream.

Where is this likely coming from? Anything simple I can do to stop this from coming? If not, what's the easiest way to clean it up -- pliers? vacuum?

Thanks.

__________________
2004 Boxster S, 6 spd, Triple Black
1986 944 Turbo (sold in 1988)
Since then, a 300ZX, a few BMW 3 Series, a few VW's
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:10 AM   #2
1202021
 
piper6909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 753
It's coming from wither the flap that controls air flow or the one that controls the air mix. Here's a thread with info and I think there's a solution in here as well:

Interior vent debris
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NY Suburbs
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
It's coming from wither the flap that controls air flow or the one that controls the air mix. Here's a thread with info and I think there's a solution in here as well:

Interior vent debris
Thanks. Just took a look. Seems that it's a big, expensive PITA to make the problem go away. Maybe I'll just live with it for awhile, and if down the road there is a necessary HVAC repair, I can deal with it at that time as a "while you're in there" job.
__________________
2004 Boxster S, 6 spd, Triple Black
1986 944 Turbo (sold in 1988)
Since then, a 300ZX, a few BMW 3 Series, a few VW's
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #4
1202021
 
piper6909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
Thanks. Just took a look. Seems that it's a big, expensive PITA to make the problem go away. Maybe I'll just live with it for awhile, and if down the road there is a necessary HVAC repair, I can deal with it at that time as a "while you're in there" job.
You're welcome. I'm having the same issue with mine and I, too, have put off doing anything about it. Eventually I will, though.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:26 AM   #5
01 Seal Gray 986 S
 
bg305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 52
Hi Boxman..

If you don't mind removing the stereo and cutting a bit of plastic you can easily do it in a couple of hours.. see post 37 and 38 here: Interior vent debris

I just did it myself and it went much better then expected...
bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #6
01 Seal Gray 986 S
 
bg305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 52
Here are more pictures I took when doing it..
New headunit with usb and mic integration
bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
1202021
 
piper6909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg305 View Post
Here are more pictures I took when doing it..
New headunit with usb and mic integration
thanks, bg305. I was thinking of going that route,but wasn't sure. Knowing that it's not as bad as it looks helps push me in the direction of doing it.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:01 PM   #8
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
You're welcome. I'm having the same issue with mine and I, too, have put off doing anything about it. Eventually I will, though.
Right!!!??? Fortunately I live in a warm climate but, sooner or later, and when I run out of other unecessary stuff to do, I'll attend to it. You should drive out here and we'll do themn both at the same time. I'll even throw in a MAGA hat.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #9
1202021
 
piper6909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: PA
Posts: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
Right!!!??? Fortunately I live in a warm climate but, sooner or later, and when I run out of other unecessary stuff to do, I'll attend to it. You should drive out here and we'll do themn both at the same time. I'll even throw in a MAGA hat.
You're on! I'll bring a torch for the hat!
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:14 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 3
I'm wondering why they used foam in the first place. Anyone notice any problems with taping over the holes? I would think the foam would allow some air to flow through even when closed?
__________________
99 Boxster Base
2016 GTI
2010 Saab 9-3
DC Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Atlanta Area
Posts: 48
Garage
My amateur theory is a plastic door would be too flimsy to seal when warm, solid metal door too heavy for movement mechanism and probably noisey when closing. The foam softens and lightens the door. A solid door would block all air one direction or the other when/if it fails, when the foam is gone you at least get 'some' air where it needs to go. There's probably a cost factor too.

Foam covered blend doors seem fairly common, at least on VAG cars. I think my Dodge pickup does as well as its been shooting black foam out the vents just like the boxster. Haha.
__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster Base - 2005 Volvo S60R AWD - 2003 Subaru Wrx Wagon - 2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - 1992 Subaru Loyale Wagon w/4in Lift - 2004 Dodge Ram 2500
GLImages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:19 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 244
Every summer I use a tweezers to pull out a few foam pieces caught caught by the vents while others just shoot out on their own on my 98' Boxster. Since the heat and AC seem to working perfectly and the car is 20 yrs old I plan on doing NOTHING....lol.
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:32 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: NY Suburbs
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg305 View Post
Here are more pictures I took when doing it..
New headunit with usb and mic integration
305,

I also just installed the Pioneer 2550 (well, I didn't do it, I had a guy do the install). I asked him about the mic install the way you did it and he said you have to have the full mic exposed, not just the tip. Mine is installed at the base of the steering column, barely noticeable. Nice job on the USB.
__________________
2004 Boxster S, 6 spd, Triple Black
1986 944 Turbo (sold in 1988)
Since then, a 300ZX, a few BMW 3 Series, a few VW's
BoxMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #14
01 Seal Gray 986 S
 
bg305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMann View Post
305,

I also just installed the Pioneer 2550 (well, I didn't do it, I had a guy do the install). I asked him about the mic install the way you did it and he said you have to have the full mic exposed, not just the tip. Mine is installed at the base of the steering column, barely noticeable. Nice job on the USB.
I thought about that because the mic has openings on the side as well as the front. That is the reason I have not secured it in any way, I can pull it out. I figured I would try it and see just have not gotten much opportunity with winter. I did get it out last week that day it was 50 and sunny, and all the prior rain had cleaned the roads. It worked pretty well but I did not have the top down, hoping maybe if Saturday is really 60 that might happen (if the rain holds out). Would be great to get a top down day in January in NY 😁
bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:13 PM   #15
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 16
Garage
On my dearly departed 986, I would keep a pair of those locking tweezers (hemostats) in the car and pick out the pieces stuck in the vents at stoplights. It was kind of soothing, I guess?
__________________
2002 Boxster S 7/2017 totaled (rear-ended) 11/2019
2013 Boxster S 12/2019
Pepik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 244
FUNNY....I too keep a locking tweezers (hemostats) in my car for the exact same reason.......LOL
Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #17
01 Seal Gray 986 S
 
bg305's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg305 View Post
I thought about that because the mic has openings on the side as well as the front. That is the reason I have not secured it in any way, I can pull it out. I figured I would try it and see just have not gotten much opportunity with winter. I did get it out last week that day it was 50 and sunny, and all the prior rain had cleaned the roads. It worked pretty well but I did not have the top down, hoping maybe if Saturday is really 60 that might happen (if the rain holds out). Would be great to get a top down day in January in NY 😁
I did get out over the weekend both days in fact. Had a conversation with the mic on the phone top down at 55 mph with Windows up. It worked great so I think it's safe to say only the front has to be fully exposed. I'm still going to leave mine the way it is to play with it a little more but it worked well.

bg305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page