Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2019, 07:37 AM   #1

Garage
2000 S cruise control install unusual (perhaps) question

Good 986 people - I’ve got a 2000 S that had no cruise from factory. I’ve obtained a 3-stalk and have Pdwight building me what he tells me will be his last cruise harness (parts hard to find now).

Issue is, my gauges have no cruise indicator light. Is this going to crush my dreams of cruise control?

TIA, Bill

Bill Ladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #2

Unless I am missing something here.... installing a cruise control is much more than just throwing a stalk there. It involves cables, switch at instrument panel, switch at brake pedal, vacuum servo driver for the throttle and the list can grow up.
pomerlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Good 986 people - I’ve got a 2000 S that had no cruise from factory. I’ve obtained a 3-stalk and have Pdwight building me what he tells me will be his last cruise harness (parts hard to find now).

Issue is, my gauges have no cruise indicator light. Is this going to crush my dreams of cruise control?

TIA, Bill
The system will need to be activated using the Durametric Pro system or Porsche's tool.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The system will need to be activated using the Durametric Pro system or Porsche's tool.
Yes, I'm aware of that. I've done a bunch of research on this before undertaking this endeavor. I did read in though, that having a cruise control bulb that was burned out prevented the system from working. My question is since my gauge has no bulbs anywhere is it going to be a problem?
Old 12-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #5

Since your car is a 2000, it has e-gas and you don't need any speed sensors or switches according to this Pelican Parts how to article on adding cruise control. This is what it says about 2000 and later cars:
In 2000, the Boxster's engine management system was upgraded with a new system that used an electronic throttle body (e-gas). This eliminated throttle cables and instead the gas pedal has a sensor on it that controls an electronic stepper motor located on the throttle body in the engine compartment. Because this entire arrangement is completely electronic, the car no longer needed to have a separate, complicated cruise control system. As a result, if you have a 2000 and later Boxster that didn't come with cruise control installed from the factory, then you can install the turn signal switch with the cruise control stalk, run some wires and turn it on electronically in the computer.
I don't know about the cruise control light. the Pelican article doesn't say anything other than make sure the bulb isn't burned out. On the 2003 the light is a little green speedometer symbol to the far right of all the idiot lights, underneath the fuel and temp gauges. Maybe you have it but it just doesn't light up since cruise control isn't turned on?
Sorry picture is upside down, it's right side up on my computer and my phone!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:40 PM   #6

Quote:

TIA, Bill
I have done this very thing on my 2000 S.
You are going to have to run one of the wires from the new harness to the instrument panel. This wire powers the cruise control indicator bulb when cruise is active.
So you will have to remove the instrument panel to get to the connector you need to run the wire to.
While you have it removed shine a light at the back of the instrument panel.
you should see the cruise control icon at the far right side of the panel.
Put the correct bulb in hole (if absent). light should be good to go

Last edited by blue62; 12-30-2019 at 12:46 PM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 01:03 PM   #7

Garage
Ah! Thanks PaulE and blue62. I was looking in the wrong place for my cruise indicator light!!

I was looking for #3 in this graphic:
(Yes, I know it’s not exactly my cluster, but it shows the gauge face where I was looking)

Old 12-30-2019, 02:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Ah! Thanks PaulE and blue62. I was looking in the wrong place for my cruise indicator light!!

I was looking for #3 in this graphic:
(Yes, I know it’s not exactly my cluster, but it shows the gauge face where I was looking)

It will be to the right of the top retraction Icon. Straight above the letter Q in your screen shot.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:40 PM   #9
TRP

This is project 92 from the 101 Projects for you Projects for Your Porsche Boxster book.
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #10

As apposed to using Porsche oem stuff; why not just buy an aftermarket unit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rostra-250-1223-Aftermarket-Add-on-Electronic-Cruise-Control-Kit-3421-Handle/400282015254?hash=item5d32aad616:g:fMsAAOSwNSJa-cS4

^^^seems pretty much plug and play.

I haven't checked whether or not my car has CC, but if it doesn't this has crossed my mind.

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 05:58 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
It will be to the right of the top retraction Icon. Straight above the letter Q in your screen shot.
Thanks!
Old 12-31-2019, 05:46 AM   #12

Garage
Will not work with a 2000S. It only works with a cable actuated throttle.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anker View Post
Will not work with a 2000S. It only works with a cable actuated throttle.
When did they make the change?

I had a 1999 tiptronic it was cable.

I now have a 1999 5 speed and its cable.

So it was just from 97-99? or is it an "S" thing too?

WTB: any cheap 986 shifter new or used
Qingdao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:32 AM   #14

Garage
Read post #5 it is explained.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:48 AM   #15

Can anyone plz tell me the part number for the cruise control indicator bulb. I looked on the PET but it is not clear as to which bulb to use.

2018 Macan S
2021 718 Spyder
Balloonmeister is offline   Reply With Quote