Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #1

Is this carfax report weird?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5sck4OvonTGeXQ3TmppZ2FIa3BPa1ltamFxWTVtelZFdjEw/view?usp=sharing

Emphasis on the car failing the safety inspection 11/28/17. Thanks.

Black_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:04 PM   #2

Garage
If you look at this:

https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/new-york-state-vehicle-safetyemissions-inspection-program

You'll see it could have been any of a hundred things. Bad tire(s); lights; you name it. No way to know, but that's what a PPI is for.
1971 BMW R75/5
Subman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #3
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
NYS safety inspection covers tire tread depth, lights, brakes, mirrors, windshield wipers and glass (windows) among other things. It could fail for so many reasons. Worn brake pads, license plate bulb blown or old wipers. I wouldn't worry about it. I see it passed a California inspection since the failed NY one. Like the above poster said, get a PPI.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 08:06 PM   #4

definitely not a concern. Previous commenters are correct: it could be a ton of things. My truck recently failed safety due to a chipped taillight I didn't even know about.
I'd be far more concerned about everything that's happened between 5/7/18 and now.
'03 S - Orient Red (sold)
Fiddlebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:29 AM   #5

The only concern I would have is why would the current owner have the car shipped from NY to CA and only keep it a year and a half? And how many miles has he / she driven it since arriving in CA? 2-seater sports cars are lifestyle vehicles and if something changes in their lifestyle (marriage, kids, divorce, downsizing, etc), a 2-seater may not fit their life anymore. But it appears someone made a tremendous investment to get this car from NY. Seems a bit unusual, so I'd be sure to find out why they're selling now.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
The only concern I would have is why would the current owner have the car shipped from NY to CA and only keep it a year and a half? And how many miles has he / she driven it since arriving in CA? 2-seater sports cars are lifestyle vehicles and if something changes in their lifestyle (marriage, kids, divorce, downsizing, etc), a 2-seater may not fit their life anymore. But it appears someone made a tremendous investment to get this car from NY. Seems a bit unusual, so I'd be sure to find out why they're selling now.
Investment cost would be zero if it is a paid company move like I am going through.

davidnyc is offline   Reply With Quote