Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #1

Scored a 1999 boxster today for $2k off craigslist!

I got lucky and was the first person to look at it. 140k on the clock, but older guy bought it with a bad engine. Spent 3k on a used engine with 80isk k miles on it and did the engine swap himself. Has a lift and nice setup at home, but he couldnt get it going and got tired of messing with it. Engine runs if gas sprayed in intake. Alarm goes off with key in ignition, and turns over but wont start. Sounds like a computer or immobilizer issue? Have it at one of the best porsche indys in Charlotte now going to sort it out. Guy said he has had 100 calls about it and got lucky to be first in line. Fingers crossed for a good flip, Or if not should still make a few $$ selling as a roller! Interior is mint, paint is good, just needs a new top!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Kboggs; 12-10-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:04 AM   #2

Congrats. That sounds like a fuel problem to me. You can jump the fuel pump relay to see if the pump is working.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I've had a lot of fun with $2K Boxsters. If it's fairly complete and you like to tinker, you really can't go wrong buying one as a toy to build/repair or use as a parts car.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:31 PM   #4

Garage
What shop did you use?
Old 12-11-2019, 02:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strayconch View Post
What shop did you use?

Top automotive in Indian Trail. Shop is in a business park and dont look like much from the street, but has a great shop and reputation. He only works on porsche and other exotics. Lambos, ferraris, etc. and is the only certified IMS solution installer in NC. The guy that owns it is one of the nicest and knowledgable I have met, and chatted with me for 20 minutes on possible solutions for this car, and on IMS bearings and the pros and cons of various solutions. He will most likely be the one to do the ims on my other boxster if I get it done. Check their reviews, and if you call you will most likely speak with him. Cool guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kboggs is offline   Reply With Quote