Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2006, 04:41 AM   #1

Brake Wear and Sensors

I had my 30K service yesterday at my local Porsche dealer. My car was pronounced "healthy" ($743.00 - how healthy can it be!) except the tech wrote that the front brakes were at 5mm and the rear were at 8mm, and that the brake indicator light would come on to let me know when the time for brakes would be. I'm not clear as to the meaning of the numbers and want to know; how soon is soon? Would appreciate any info from anyone who has or is about to have a brake replacement.

tonyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg
I had my 30K service yesterday at my local Porsche dealer. My car was pronounced "healthy" ($743.00 - how healthy can it be!) except the tech wrote that the front brakes were at 5mm and the rear were at 8mm, and that the brake indicator light would come on to let me know when the time for brakes would be. I'm not clear as to the meaning of the numbers and want to know; how soon is soon? Would appreciate any info from anyone who has or is about to have a brake replacement.
Having replaced both front and rears (at different times) this year, I would say that 5mm is time to replace them soon (I don't think I can say "how soon" because highway driving is easier on the brakes than city driving).

If you are frugal, and are manually dexterious, you can re-use the sensors. But if they wear away such that the Brake Wear light comes on, you will need to replace at least one of the sensors because they light up the Brake Wear light when they are worn down such that metal-to-metal contact happens with the sensor and the brake rotor. Keep in mind that it's a b!tch to remove the sensors from the old pads and so you may end up replacing them anyways.
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:27 AM   #3

Hi,

OEM new brake pads measure 12mm (0.47") Fr. and 10.5mm (0.41") Rr.

The allowable Pad wear limit is 2mm (0.08") and Pad & Wear Indicator limit is 2.5mm (0.1"), so if your pads are currently at 5mm and 8mm respectively, you're already way overdue for replacement. If you mechanic isn't aware of this, he too may be due for replacement..

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-08-2006 at 09:21 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #4

Get new pads and do it yourself. Takes maybe an hour and saves you a ton of money in installation costs. I'd be glad to help with some tips - I change mine at every track event, before and after.

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote