986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   986 ends up on second floor (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/76615-986-ends-up-second-floor.html)

Fuzzuki 11-11-2019 03:00 PM

986 ends up on second floor

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet.
It's supposed to be a 986.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/porsche-launches-into-second-story-of-new-jersey-building-killing-2/ar-BBWyjM9?ocid=spartandhp

ianacole 11-11-2019 03:06 PM

Wow!! They must have been flying ... literally and figuratively. Some smarter with math than me should be able to calculate the speed they were going.

imhighlander 11-11-2019 03:21 PM

Nope. It was reported as a 2010.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rexcramer 11-11-2019 06:19 PM

Something about this story grabbed me. I spent some time with Google Earth to look at the area. Fast right hand sweeper. They blew through the apex. The curbs are rolled and the median is grass/dirt. They missed the telephone pole and trees and the ditch launched them through the parking lot. I suspect the car caught the nose and cartwheeled up through the air. Two grade school friends gone.

Why are two guys in their early 20's, in a 2010 Boxster, at 6:30 in the morning, dead? We, as parents and friends of younger drivers, need to turn this tragedy into a teaching moment. This just sucks.

BoxMann 11-11-2019 06:53 PM

I know it's a Porsche Boxster and all, but whatever car it might have been, this is a very sad story. Two young kids, their entire lives in front of them, get killed instantly as a result of a few seconds of very poor judgment. Sad.

husker boxster 11-11-2019 09:38 PM

Must have been a Launch Vehicle. Check the VIN for option code 762.

PaulE 11-12-2019 11:17 AM

Sad story. Who among us didn't survive some stupid things we did as kids? Here is a picture from one of the local articles showing the road and skidmarks.

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads02...1573589859.jpg

Nevergrowup 11-12-2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 606524)

Hahaha!!!! We might end up in hell, but that’s some funny ********************! :cheers:

10/10ths 11-13-2019 01:48 AM

Around these parts....

.....it’s called, “Death by ‘Hold my beer, watch this’ syndrome.”

Natural selection at work.

Ain’t no cure for stupid.

TeamOxford 11-13-2019 06:52 AM

Quote:

irreverent humor at its best.

Just sayin'...........

TO

Jgkram 11-13-2019 07:00 AM

Deaths are not funny no matter how you spin them. And...we were all stupid in our 20's. Care to open up your life story to the world?????

particlewave 11-13-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jgkram (Post 606590)
Deaths are not funny no matter how you spin them. And...we were all stupid in our 20's. Care to open up your life story to the world?????

And these were two kids, just getting their lives started.

dghii 11-13-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 606584)
.....it’s called, “Death by ‘Hold my beer, watch this’ syndrome.”

Natural selection at work.

Ain’t no cure for stupid.

I bow to you, mister perfect. I dare you to say that to their parents. What an ass_hole comment.

As a Dad of 4 great young men, I prayed every night of their teens and 20’s to get them one day closer to sound judgement. We were all 10ft tall and bullet proof once.

maytag 11-13-2019 06:46 PM

I'm a little shocked at the cavalier attitude some of you have about two young men whose lives are over. How callous you can be about at least two sets of parents grieving (you ever watch a parent lose a child? ). About a community which will feel a loss of two bright young men missing from work, from happy hour, from wherever they volunteered, from their church services, from school classes.

I'm saddened at the story. And saddened further at the lack of empathy shown here, with my online friends.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Racer Boy 11-13-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 606642)
I'm a little shocked at the cavalier attitude some of you have about two young men whose lives are over. How callous you can be about at least two sets of parents grieving (you ever watch a parent lose a child? ). About a community which will feel a loss of two bright young men missing from work, from happy hour, from wherever they volunteered, from their church services, from school classes.

I'm saddened at the story. And saddened further at the lack of empathy shown here, with my online friends.

Well put, Maytag.

Rob175 11-14-2019 06:13 AM

It's the "Darwin Theory" at work. Where can I order a "flying Boxster"? It sure would make my commute a heck of a lot easier.

Sorry but I have little sympathy for supreme such stupidity..... "high rate of speed"?!?!......I can't imagine how fast they had to be traveling to launch a 3,000 pound object 20 feet in the air..........think about all of the other people who could of been killed by these idiots......innocent men, women and children could have been killed.......sorry no sympathy here for the occupants....for their families YES but not for them.

husker boxster 11-14-2019 06:59 AM

My apologies and condolences to the parents and families. May you find comfort in your loss.

I would have a different emotion towards these young men if the situation would have had them enjoying a nice drive and were T-boned by someone who ran a red light or a drunk driver crossed the median and ran head-on into them. That would be senseless and random and very hard to understand. But that’s not the situation. Details are sketchy but we do know their vehicle flew a substantial distance through the air and landed in the 2nd floor of a building. No matter what the circumstances were to cause this, ultimately the driver was responsible and made this happen. He was the reason for this crash. Sure, you can blame it on youth or hubris or being indestructible or video games or anything else, but at some point prior to the accident survival instincts should have kicked in and they should have determined it was too dangerous and shut it down. Unless the throttle was stuck wide open, this tragedy did not have to happen. It wasn’t random. It was because of someone’s carelessness.

My parents instilled a belief in me about personal responsibility that I firmly am committed to today (I’m 60). You make decisions and are responsible for the outcomes of those decisions. There were decisions made by these young men and they paid the ultimate price. Better decisions would have gotten these two to breakfast that morning. Did their choice warrant my comment? No, but I made it and can’t take it back. Not a good decision on my part. It takes a lifetime to build a reputation and 5 seconds to tear it down.

piper6909 11-14-2019 07:15 AM

I've stayed away from commenting on this tragic event, but I'll have to throw my 2 cents in. First of all, the loss of ANY young life is sad and nothing to joke about.

I don't know if these kids were bright, volunteers, church-goes or school students. What I do know is that it took more than a few seconds of poor judgement to get the car to a speed where it could be launched to the second floor. If 0-60 is about 5 seconds, imagine how long it would take to get to that speed. I suspect it wasn't the first time they drove like that. No one just goes out and does over 100 MPH on a secondary road on their first drive. And yes, they could have killed innocent bystanders. It's not my position to judge and I have no knowledge of whether these good young men were victims of a culture of privilege who've never had to suffer any consequences for their actions. (Until the accident, unfortunately)

As I said earlier, ANY loss of a young live is a tragedy. So we should show some empathy, and let's also show empathy for the kids that have sent back to the place they fled only to die at the hands of gangs or terrorists. I hope we show the same empathy when a child with a toy gun gets shot by a cop who couldn't possibly have assessed the situation before pulling the trigger because video shows the kid getting shot down within a fraction of a second of the cop car pulling up to the scene. Or the same empathy when a young school lunch worker gets shot after telling the cop that he has a permit to carry a firearm. Or all the children that got killed by indiscriminate bombings after the Stable Genius, after a phone call that no one knows what was promised, decided to relocate our troops from defending our Kurdish allies to protecting oil rigs. And, of course, those who have died due to some reckless driver. I could go on....

My point is this: There are lots and lots of kids who have died and continue to die because of no fault or no action of their own. I'd like to see empathy for them, too.

P.S. As I finish writing this, I see on the news about another school shooting in Santa Clarita, CA.....

maytag 11-14-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by husker boxster (Post 606660)
It takes a lifetime to build a reputation and 5 seconds to tear it down.

Ain't THAT the truth.

I'm not saying that I knew these kids. Nor that I don't think what they were doing was stupid. Certainly it was.

But here's what I try to remember when I see this sort of thing: I'm only one bad decision away from that being me. Same with my kids. As someone else mentioned here; we all survived some real stupidity in our youth. Some of it I probably SHOULDN'T have survived, but through the grace of God..... and there it is. Through the Grace of God I've avoided being the brunt of this same ill-thought-out humor and poorly-chosen words of judgement. How would any of YOU like to be judged, labeled, or otherwise defined by the single-worst thing you've ever done?

I expect more than that from myself. And I HOPE for more than that from those I interact with.

None of y'all are cold and heartless people (I assume), and so I expect that this is more about these young men being faceless to you. If these were your nephews, or your sons best friends, I suspect you'd be feeling it a little more closely.

As the resident Mormon of the group (haha) I'd challenge each of us to try to find empathy for all mankind..... not merely those who seem to never do anything wrong.

Now who's saying the closing prayer? :D

Gilles 11-14-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 606623)
As a Dad of 4 great young men, I prayed every night of their teens and 20’s to get them one day closer to sound judgement. We were all 10ft tall and bullet proof once.

+ 1

We are praying everyday that our kids don't do the same stupid mistakes that we did when we were young and managed to survive.

Unfortunately not all my friends that I grew up with did..

10/10ths 11-14-2019 10:53 AM

We....

....are all already dead.

Nobody gets outta here alive.

Cheers.

dghii 11-14-2019 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 606668)
....are all already dead.

Nobody gets outta here alive.

Cheers.

Don't delay then. FU and your High horse.

evomind 11-16-2019 06:39 AM

Quote:

OMG....Too funny.
Not what happened but your comment.
:)

10/10ths 11-16-2019 08:14 AM

Ok...

....Wow.

I will refrain from any more posts.

Cheers.

Frodo 11-16-2019 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 606772)
....Wow.

Cheers.

Not a bad idea..

maytag 11-16-2019 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 606772)
....Wow.

Cheers.

10/10ths, I hope ya don't refrain. I think there's enough room for lots of opinions around here. Even if mine is right. But that includes those (including myself) who think your comment was insensitive and in poor taste, right?

I would point-out, too, that there's only one reason to ANNOUNCE that you're going to stop posting.... as opposed to simply STOP POSTING, hahaha.

::cheers::

piper6909 11-16-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 606801)
Not a bad idea..

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 606697)
Don't delay then. FU and your High horse.

Obviously neither of you understood 10/10ths' reference.

We don't need to be pushing people out of here, even if we don't understand or agree with them.

Frodo 11-16-2019 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 606806)
Obviously neither of you understood 10/10ths' reference.

We don't need to be pushing people out of here, even if we don't understand or agree with them.

I'll confess to not knowing what you mean by "10/10ths' reference." I'm pretty sure I've got a decent grasp of what's been discussed in this thread.

My comment simply addressed the fact that there seemed to be some bad blood brewing here over this subject (and the comments generated by it), and a de-escalation seemed to be a not-so-bad idea. Which is what I believe 10/10ths was shooting for.

I'm not sure I was "pushing" anyone out of here. Hey 10/10ths—you feel "pushed out" by what I said??

piper6909 11-16-2019 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 606817)

I'm not sure I was "pushing" anyone out of here.

He said he'll "refrain from any more posts" and you said "not a bad idea."

It came across to me like at the very least you were encouraging him to leave. If that was not your intention, you have my apologies.

:cheers:

Frodo 11-16-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piper6909 (Post 606819)
He said he'll "refrain from any more posts" and you said "not a bad idea."

It came across to me like at the very least you were encouraging him to leave. If that was not your intention, you have my apologies.

:cheers:

Oh no, no, no...it was not my intention at all, not in any permanent sense.
My agreement with him was with regard to this thread only. Which has, I think, pretty much played itself out anyway and is, I would contend, ripe for burial.
In my dozen years on this forum, I'm reasonably sure I've never suggested anyone leave permanently. (There's been a select few I WISH would leave...but that's a different matter ;) )
No apology necessary, but I appreciate the offer :cheers:

nicecar 11-16-2019 05:32 PM

uhhhhh......stupid is as stupid does?

10/10ths 11-16-2019 07:39 PM

Ok...

...I suppose “announcing” I’m not posting any more is lame.

All I posted was that this driver was a moron and he killed himself through natural selection.

Then a couple of folks posted that I was insensitive about death and youths who are wreckless and hurt themselves.

Then I simply posted that we are all going to die one day.

And then someone got ugly.

Here’s the reference:

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/no-one-here-gets-out-alive-jerry-hopkins/1103271001

If you can’t laugh at death, then death wins.

I only feel sorry for the passenger in the wrecked car and those on this forum with no sense of humor.

I should have known better than to risk upsetting anyone and stuck to discussing the IMS Solution, synthetic motor oil, high performance tires, and the heartbreak of Psoriasis.

Cheers.

maytag 11-16-2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 606830)

I should have known better than to risk upsetting anyone and stuck to discussing the IMS Solution, synthetic motor oil, high performance tires, and the heartbreak of Psoriasis.

Cheers.

Hahaha. Well-played, mon pot. ;-)

I like to think I have a sense of humor.... but I guess we all have different buttons, because we all have different life experiences that shape them.
Me, having lost family members far too young, to, perhaps, similarly ill-conceived behavior, it's a little close to home for me.

But once I've expressed my opinion on it.... y'all are certainly free to ignore me, just like my kids do.

10/10ths 11-17-2019 02:42 AM

Maytag...

....I’m sorry for your loss.

I will never ignore you, I have always enjoyed your posts.

That’s the problem with words on a screen, there is no tone, you can’t look the other person in the eye, hear the inflection in their voice, and know the true meaning of what they are trying to say like you can when you are actually talking to folks face to face.

I have had so many friends die in combat that I have turned to humor to cope. I realize that in a public forum like this there is no way to “know the room” and one must tread more lightly.

I will stick to nuts and bolts, and avoid social commentary.

By the way, the “IMS Solution” really is the only viable option for long term peace of mind for those worried about their OEM IMS bearing.

😁

Cheers.

SMK Shoe 11-17-2019 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 606848)

I have had so many friends die in combat that I have turned to humor to cope.

Cheers.

That's really the only way to do it. You can't change what happened. I usually cuss them out when I'm at home having a beer , or out doing something they would have been involved in.
The entire time I was in (26 years), we called it black humor. Only people that get our sick sense of humor were the others that walked the same path.

Frodo 11-17-2019 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10/10ths (Post 606848)
That’s the problem with words on a screen, there is no tone, you can’t look the other person in the eye, hear the inflection in their voice, and know the true meaning of what they are trying to say like you can when you are actually talking to folks face to face.

I have an old friend, someone I went out with 35 years ago, that I maintain contact with via text messaging. She can be pretty opinionated on many things, and loves to stir things up in our discussions. Our texts—generally light and friendly—can become truly contentious at times. She enjoys “pushing my buttons” from time to time, and I don’t hesitate to push back. Sometimes, inevitably, unintentionally, feelings get hurt and one or both of us get really PO’d, and typically it’s for this very reason. We always ultimately patch things up—old friends are the best, right? The sense of humor returns. But what was stated in the above-quoted post is true. Facial expression and body language aren’t well transmitted via text messages. As she has said on many such occasions, “This is a dangerous way to communicate.” While she was referring to texting, clearly the same applies here.

And husker, don’t fret—I’m pretty sure you’re still in good standing with everyone here.

maytag 11-17-2019 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 606853)
I have an old friend, someone I went out with 35 years ago, that I maintain contact with via text messaging. She can be pretty .........

You had me right up to there.
And then my imagination took over.

Sorry.

Hahaha

Frodo 11-17-2019 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maytag (Post 606857)
You had me right up to there.
And then my imagination took over.

Sorry.

Hahaha

Wonderful, only too pleased to stir that imagination for you! And a vivid imagination I'm sure it is!

piper6909 11-17-2019 06:50 AM

Wow... Talk about thread drift.

From a bizarre tragedy to someone fantasizing about someone else's flame from 35 years ago. :p:p

This has got to be one for the books. :rolleyes:

Frodo 11-17-2019 08:51 AM

I prefer to think of it as mission creep :D though in this setting it's not particularly a big deal. It happens. Things—threads included—evolve. What's the harm? Nobody's required to read it.

I think it's more of an issue in the DIY-kinds of threads, where people don't want to wade through a lot of fluff to find what they're looking for.