Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2019, 03:38 PM   #1

Garage
Key Fobs not working

Just bought an 01 boxster 2 months ago and haven’t had much time to drive till last couple of weeks. I have 2 key fobs both were dead and I replaced batteries in both correctly. Both have the little “pill” in them. Both light up when any button is pressed. I get no response to locking functions or trunk buttons from the vehicle. I have read thru several threads on this and don’t see any solid results since there is not clear descriptions of problems and others seem to post their problems on top of a string. It seems like there should be a simple procedure to accomplish such a simple task.
Suggestions please and thanks.

Dam23man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
I will assume both keys start the car. Have you verified the various fuses for the trunks and doors are good. I can't picture an 01 dash. Do you have a door lock button on yours? And will it lock both doors when you activate it? I wonder if the Durametric software can display a remote input high/low condition?
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:15 AM   #3

If the remotes light up when pressing the buttons but the car doesn't unlock/lock/pop trunk you will need to reprogram the car. This will require a dealer trip, new fobs and programming. Expect to spend around $500 at least. Durametric wont be able to do anything here.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 03:06 PM   #4

Talk to particlewave. He knows this stuff better 'n anybody..
(Sorry PW...you still open for business??)
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:56 AM   #5

Garage
If you don't have the codes for the keys you're SOL, unless the previous owner can give them to you.
Old 11-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #6

Garage
It does have the lock inside.....this only works when the car is running. Both keys crank the car and both keyfobs worked when I bought the car. I didn't drive it for a couple of weeks and the fobs quit working so I replaced both batteries.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:41 PM   #7
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Key Transmitter Repair (new switch didn't fix it?)

or

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iDmWk8gbuuk

or

Attached Images

Last edited by particlewave; 11-10-2019 at 11:06 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #8

Garage
Okay everyone nothing in this thread worked...... however in another thread I had posted info about a problem with the bonnet release not working. I determined that I had a faulty actuator so I ordered one and installed it yesterday. It immediately fixed my hood release issue. I drove it home from a friends house where I was working on it, and just for the hell of it I pushed the button on my fob and it worked. Both fobs are now working after replacing a faulty hood release actuator.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:26 AM   #9

Fantastic! I have also itermittent issues with hood release and key fobs not working... After installing the hood actuator, I hope that also the key fobs will work (light on the fobs do come on) :dance:
Old 11-18-2019, 10:37 AM   #10
Custom User Title Here

Garage
No, they are completely unrelated. It’s just a coincidence.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:42 AM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot4fn View Post
Fantastic! I have also itermittent issues with hood release and key fobs not working... After installing the hood actuator, I hope that also the key fobs will work (light on the fobs do come on) :dance:
Let me know if it works for you too!
Old 11-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam23man View Post
Will do. I should receive the part some time next week.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam23man View Post
Sorry, I forgot to follow up on this earlier.
I swapped the front bonnet actuator and now the bonnet opens from button nicely. BUT it did not fix the key fobs remote issue
Old 12-29-2019, 09:14 AM   #14

PW: I have a 2003 Boxster S (new to me) and everything is working fine, including the key fob. I am planning on leaving the car while on vacation for about 4 weeks and then again for several months. My plan was to disconnect the battery totally by removing the negative cable. Beforehand I would drop the windows a bit and open the front trunk lid (and set up that latch mechanism so that the lid could not inadvertently close shut). I would leave the car unlocked in my garage. I would then return from vacation, reverse everything and hope that everything works. The car has an aftermarket radio (Kenwood) which does not have any type of code in it to reset.
Does this plan sound reasonable to you in terms of trying to keep the battery from totally draining down while I am away? Thanx in advance for your advice and counsel.
2018 Macan S
2021 718 Spyder
Balloonmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 06:14 AM   #15

Plz don't let this hijack this thread, but a question for Particlewave:
I just bought my first Boxster, a 2003 S. I have installed a new battery in the car and will be leaving it in my condo garage for 4 weeks and then again for several months when we are away. All electrical systems, including the key fob, work as designed. My plan is to disconnect the battery's negative cable, leave the front trunk lid open (and adjust the latch mechanism so that it can't inadvertently close itself), and drop the windows a few mm's. The car will be unlocked and covered in the garage. My whole purpose is to absolutely minimize any drop in the battery voltage while I am away. I do not have the capability to attach a battery maintainer on the car as it is in our condo's underground garage and they would not allow something like a maintainer to be plugged into their electrical circuit in the garage.
Will this set up be the best in your opinion with regards to my objective? Thanx in advance.

2018 Macan S
2021 718 Spyder
Balloonmeister is offline   Reply With Quote