Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 04:44 AM   #1

Unhappy Speeding Ticket Stories

So, I was doing a search of old posts for "windscreens" to try to figure out how to keep the bottom of my center windscreen from sliding back and forth and I came across a post on top speed reached in a Boxster. One of the posts spoke about the consequences of a high-speed speeding ticket.... that got me thinking.

I have had my 2000 2.7L Boxster for about 6 months. 95% of the time I am a very good driver, obeying all the traffic laws. But we live in a rural location and I do speed from time to time on our back country roads. I ocassionally pop the speed briefly up into the triple-digits (sure does not take long to get up there).

Back in the day when I rode motorcycles I can remember getting three tickets on three separate occasions in a single day (making too much noise with the bike, riding without a helmet, speeding). But, my wild-boy days are mostly gone and I have not gotten a speeding ticket for probably 20 years...... That is so far.

I think it would help me behave myself if I could hear stories of getting citations for driving inappropriately, the way I do from time to time. In our Virginia where I live, speeding over 80 mph can count as "reckless driving" which can result in up to a $2,500.00 fine and a year in jail! And then there is insurance rates after a ticket. Any stories?

Ed

2000 Boxster

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:09 AM   #2
porsche986

well a few month ago I got caught by a mobile police van, I was doing 59 in a 30 zone, but I didnt know, It looked like a motorway 3 lanes each side it stinks,

anyhow I got a court sate, got myself a great solicitor and we went to court, he was great, amazing infact and the outcome was 6 points and a £100 fine I was happy!
I have my own company so PHEW!
Old 10-06-2006, 05:48 AM   #3

3 Times

Ed:
I thought I was the only person to get dinged three times in a day...mine happened on a short 2 hour trip back to my moms house from Des Moines to Waterloo...I was driving my wifes Saab 900.

1. Incident #1: I was going about 85 in a 65 and had a state patrol car come up on me and flash his lights and turn off..it was early and dark so I had no idea he was a cop until it was too late.

2. About 20 minutes later got a warning from a county sheriff going 47 in a 35 near a small town.

3. About a mile from my mom's house got pulled over by Hudson, Iowa's finest going 65 in a 55. I saw what I thought was a minivan on the side of the road, turned out to be a Ford Explorer police car. Got a ticket that time...

Nothing excessive just bad luck. This was a Sunday morning and I had to be the only car on the road....
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:49 AM   #4
KronixSpeed

Ohhh no, i've got every ticket in the book that you can think of............My worst ticket goes something like this.......lol

Flying down the hwy, with a Boxster S (my friends car), my car is a base. Obviously his car is faster. I am at about 240km, and my friend is at 250km(in and around these speeds). My friend is infront of me, obviously driving faster.

We fly by a cop that is sitting on the shoulder of the hwy, he jumps out of his car, on to the hwy and as we are flying by him, he waves us to stop and pull over. We end up in the fast lane reversing on the hwy back about 1km. As we flew by the cop on the side of the hwy we see cammaro cop cars lined up, so ****************ting already we had to stop. We reverse back the km on the shoulder. The cop ends up being the hottest lady cop that i've ever seen in my entire life. She tags me at 150km and my friend at 140km. I for some reason got the bigger ticket, don't know how, seeing that my friend was going at a faster speed, but whatever.

My ticket ends up being a court date on the spot, no joke, she even gave me a time and court room # on the spot.....so screwed.

My friend gets a ticket for $600 and 6pts.....

she tell's me to get a dam good lawyer because i'm going to have to explain why I deserve a licence. She wanted to tow my car away on the spot, but it was taking too long to get a tow truck to that location. Shoot me!

So my first court date, I send in a friend to say that I couldnt get out of school, and that I require a new date. They gladly give me a new date. My second date comes and I again send in the same friend asking for another date as I am in school. My third date 1 1/2 years later, I walk into court and obviously the cop is not in court, and the judge throws the ticket out of court. The happiest day of my life........I got the court house to stamp my ticket with a void stamp and I lamenated the ticket, and I framed it.

My friend went to his first court date with a lawyer and took the hit of a fine of $600 and 3 points.

I have far too many tickets stories, I could go on all day. let's just say that when I was 16, I hadnt had my licence for more then 2hrs, and i got pulled over for speeding and 2 other tickets....but as usual I got away with all 3 tickets.......

Actually I do have one pending ticket that i will be in court for this month....lets see if my luck has run out.......I have had a good driving record for the past couple of years. This ticket is the smallest that I have ever got....

Insurance I pay about $1000 every 6 months.....So luck must be on my side.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:51 AM   #5
KronixSpeed

LOL....okay i've never got pulled over 3 times in one day.....lol.....You win IwoaS....
Old 10-06-2006, 06:14 AM   #6

2 days before I left for basic training in the late 80s, my college roomate lent me his car as a goodbye present for the day: a Porsche 928. I didn't tear it up, but I was speeding/racing another classmate of mine in his jeep on US 31/33 in Berrien Springs. I tore his doors off only to be stopped by Smokey. (Jeep guy hooting and flipping me off as they drive by me with Smokey by my side.ARRRGGGHHH) HE couldn't peg me for speeding because he was behind me, but he said he was following me. He tagged me for improper lane change.

This says it all . . . .
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsquire
2 days before I left for basic training in the late 80s, my college roomate lent me his car as a goodbye present for the day: a Porsche 928. I didn't tear it up, but I was speeding/racing another classmate of mine in his jeep on US 31/33 in Berrien Springs. I tore his doors off only to be stopped by Smokey. (Jeep guy hooting and flipping me off as they drive by me with Smokey by my side.ARRRGGGHHH) HE couldn't peg me for speeding because he was behind me, but he said he was following me. He tagged me for improper lane change.

This says it all . . . .
Sorry, this says it all .. . . .
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:28 AM   #8
boggtown

Wow, so far I have been lucky and never gotten a ticket and have only been pulled over once. So I will tell you that story, lol. I was going down an old country highway (45 in a 45, the only time I have ever driven the speed limit on that road) and it was dark and a car comes up behind me (didnt know it was a cop) and gets on my a$$, so I speed up to get him off me, and he keeps on it so I speed up some more. I speed up untill 10-15 over and drive for about 3 miles. As soon as I get into town and slow down for the speed limit change he puts on his lights. I had under glow neons on my BMW at the time and he said thats why I got pulled over, like I belive that. I'm pretty sure he thought I was a drug dealer or something because the first thing he asked was if I had any drugs on me. Cops confuse me a lot, but I think the national speed limit should be raised, these speed limits were created when cars sucked and were unsafe, now that the cheapest crappiest new car can go 100 and have good safety ratings the speed limit should change with the times. And its not like youd have to go that fast, so all the old people can stay going 65 in the right lane.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:07 AM   #9

speeding

On my way home from DE event at Pocono PA and I was racing my Friend's Vette Z06 at the NJ Turnpike. We were both going about a buck 20. I was driving on the fast lane and my friend was in the middle. Out of nowwhere a NJ state trooper came from the bottom right.
The sad part is I was still wearing my racing suit and busted me for 97 mph and my friend got away.

:ah:
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KronixSpeed
LOL....okay i've never got pulled over 3 times in one day.....lol.....You win IwoaS....
As you can see either I am stupid or really stubborn....
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:52 AM   #11

Back when I was young and stupid ( a whopping 6 years ago ) I got the mother of all speeding tickets...

It was a Thursday night and my girlfriend and I were coming back from downtown Chicago on I90 West on a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6. It was a beautiful night and not a car in sight. I was going about 130 mph when I saw a police car on the exit in front of me. As I passed and looked in the rear view, I noticed he was now backing down the off ramp. When he finally caught up to me ( I probably could have lost him, but since I had a girl on the back I decided it probably was not a good idea ) and pulled me over the first words out of his mouth were "Are you dumb or just trying to kill yourself ?". 130mph in a 55mph zone. $750 to my lawyer and $250 fine, one week of traffic school, and no points on my license ( even I was impressed with my lawyer ! ).

That is why I no longer ride crotch rockets and now ride Harleys...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:00 AM   #12

I could go on and on about speeding ticket stories, but frankly, the ones I talked my way out of are far more interesting.

I told one cop that my wife (who was in the car) had just told me to slow down because it was raining and the MR2 I was driving could not be easily seen on dark, wet roads. He left me leaning against his cruiser in the pouring rain while he jammed himself and his belt full of gun, clips, radio and cuffs into my tiny MR2 driver's seat and shut the door fully to have a conversation with my wife of 6 months.

After their oh-so-long conversation, I guess he determined I was thoroughly wet and pried himself out of the car, telling me I had a wonderful little woman and I should have enough common sense to a) slow down to keep her safe and b) listen to her when she talks because she's a lot smarter than me. (He was not wrong on either count, by the way.)

He then told me that he'd sent a kid my age to the morgue that night for stupid driving and he'd hate to do it twice in one night because that's more than a cop can easily handle... so for his sake, would I please slow down and get home safely?

I got the point and drove home carefully and a little under the limit.

I haven't received a ticket in something like 15 years because I just don't drive crazy in populated places. I guess I just grew up.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:58 AM   #13

Smile

I had a speeding ticket in 1971. Funny thing, it was when I was driving a Toyota Corolla. Go figure.

In the intervening years, I have driven many wonderfully fast cars and nary a warning.

Like I said, go figure!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:08 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Got one on sunday, I was going for a drive to take my mind off of having hte stomach flu. I was driving through the PV area and around this bend there was a sherrif with a speed gun and he followed me about 1/4 mile before lighting me up.
Gave me a ticket for 52 in a 35, Sucks cause I just did traffic school for a non-speeding ticket and i think i might not be able to do it again for this ticket.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:27 AM   #15

One time, getting out of work late after a long day. Around 9. Stop at light. A kid in some big American car pulls up behind me...like one inch off my bumper. Green light...we go...kid stays on my bumper until next red and stops one inch behind...Damn!...he repeats this again to the next light. That light turns green and off I go..... down a twisty dark back road through conservation property. He starts by staying close but eventually loses his nerve and I lose him. Half a mile later, I'm at a red and he comes right back up on my bumper...Damn! I jump the red light and go left..... accelerating hard....I see a cop in a school lot up ahead so I throttle back and pass him at legal speeds. He lights me up....well....come to find out...the car behind me was an unmarked car who radioed ahead.....
At first, he threatened three moving violations. But we discussed it a bit and I was let go. Not even a warning. I didn't feel like going though the hassle of pressing charges. Plus I got a good laugh out of the whole thing.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:04 PM   #16

I got a photo speeding ticket...too painful to talk about. Too painful...."no more wire hangers mommy dearest!" Name that movie.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:52 PM   #17

Nothing bad for me...just got one 2 weeks ago, 47 in a 30 zone which I don't understand how it coould be a 30 zone. It's totally straight and get very little traffic...

At first, I wanted to try to talk myself out of it (done it before but the cop was a jerk and I acted like a B.... back

He gave me a $75 ticket which I passed on to my best griend who is a lawyer...disappeared!
99 silver BMW 323i
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m...rscheseule.jpg
vouvoune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail26
"no more wire hangers mommy dearest!" Name that movie.
Hmmmm... Mommy Dearest? C'mon man, you can do better than that.

How about this one?

"Go that way...really fast! If something gets in your way, turn!"

O.K., now a story about a ticket. There was a place in South Philly where everyone went to street race. Some of you guys probably know the place; Delaware Avenue. When I got my license, my Dad repeatedly told me to stay away from there. There were always accidents, dope, Pagans and Hells Angels shooting at each other, you know, the usual. So of course, every weekend, we were down there. On a Friday or Saturday night, there were a hundred or so cars down there duking it out. The Police would come and turn on the fire hydrants on at both ends of the strip and wet the place down. Then we couldn't race any more and we'd head out.

One night, we were down there and the Police pulled in on both ends of the street. They opened the fire hydrants and started to wet down the street. I pulled out of my spot and started toward I-95. As I'm leaving, I see one of the Police Ram Chargers break from the crowd. He gets behind me, but not close. I get up on 95 and he's still there. I'm trying to shake him, but I'm not running. I'm changing lanes (legally), speeding up, slowing down, trying to blend in, but every time I look in the mirror, he's still there. I hit my exit and get down to the surface streets. He's still there. I'm in my neighborhood now and I've been running these alleys since I was old enough to leave the block. I'm up and down the streets, and alleys, and parking lots, whatever I can think of, but he's still there. Now my friends are getting scared and talking about bailing out. My heart is racing and I can't think of how to shake this friggin' Cop. No matter what I try, he's on me. He knew the streets better than me, which was completely unbelievable. After what seemed like an eternity, I finally ran out of ideas and pulled over. I didn't know what else to do. He hits the 360s and pulls in behind me. In the side-view mirror, I see his door open and he steps out. He starts to approach my car and I catch his silhouette in his headlights. Now, I see my life flash before my eyes. He steps up to the driver's window. Yep, I'm about to be killed by the Philadelphia Police!

It's my Dad.

I didn't get a ticket.

Worse. My car was dry-docked for my entire Senior year of High School.

A couple of weeks later a car went out of control down there and killed a couple of kids. The older I get, the smarter he was.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #19

"Better Off Dead... "

Great movie !

"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is? "

"Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that. "

"I want my two dollars! "

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:52 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
"Better Off Dead... "

Great movie !

"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is? "

"Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that. "

"I want my two dollars! "

Well played, Nick. Well played.

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote