986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Champion Wheels (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/7632-champion-wheels.html)

drburton 10-04-2006 12:18 PM

Champion Wheels

I really like the Champion Wheels. Does anyone have these? Is there a place where you can get them at a decent price, from what I saw on the internet they seem pricey.

Here is a link to a pic of the one I'm looking at.

http://www.championmotorsport.com/BOXSTERRS98.htm

KronixSpeed 10-04-2006 12:27 PM

hey, i have seen these rims on a boxster and they are very nice rims. You are
right they are very expensive, but very nice. What I like about the rims are the outter edge of the rim, not sure how to explain it.....the outter edge around the rim is very different from the cheaper rims. its a flat edge that i liked....

good luck finding a good price...not easy. i was quoted a ridiculous price, that would of bought me another car...lol/jokes.

MNBoxster 10-04-2006 02:53 PM

Hi,

I think they make some great looking wheels.

I wouldn't want them in 19" though. Handling is compromised, the degree to which is subjective, but definitely not as crisp as 18's.

Also, with 19" wheels, I think the car ends up looking All Wheels, but again, this is subjective...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

drburton 10-04-2006 03:05 PM

For any of you with a white boxster, Champion wheels can be ordered in white and it looks very cool.

Here is a pic of a white Cayman with them:

KronixSpeed 10-05-2006 06:40 AM

okay nice pic....see the edge around the rim...thats what i'm talking about....looks very different from most rims....i like that look, this is why i like the champion rims...

drburton 10-05-2006 07:45 AM

Yes, they create a lip around the rim by having the spokes further inside the wheel, instead of right up against the edge. I think this creates a bit of an illusion that the wheel/tire is wider. Also, looks nice all polished up.

It seems the lip is bigger in the back which I like as well.

Now I just need to figure out how to afford them.

My Touareg actually has wheels with a similar concept, although they aren't as nice as the Champion wheels. See pic:

jeffsquire 10-05-2006 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I think they make some great looking wheels.

I wouldn't want them in 19" though. Handling is compromised, the degree to which is subjective, but definitely not as crisp as 18's.

Also, with 19" wheels, I think the car ends up looking All Wheels, but again, this is subjective...

That's the problem. I've never seen a 19" wheel I liked. IMO they focus attention on themselves and overwhelm the aesthetic of the whole.

Grizzly 10-06-2006 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffsquire

That's the problem. I've never seen a 19" wheel I liked. IMO they focus attention on themselves and overwhelm the aesthetic of the whole.

Whatever...You'll feel bad about saying that when my rear suspension breaks and I plunge off a cliff to a fiery and spectacular demise. Or not.

MNBoxster 10-06-2006 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly
Whatever...You'll feel bad about saying that when my rear suspension breaks and I plunge off a cliff to a fiery and spectacular demise. Or not.

Hi,

Yea, you're right, Porsche is just talking through their hat, whadda they know anyway?

They just beefed up the rear suspension mounts on the '98s so they could charge more MSRP is all...