Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post
My backup car is more Boxsters.
~NEVER~ too much of a good thing ..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jreissenweber1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 07:33 PM   #22

Red you ever find yourself in need of some insurance money or something I would be interested in one of your black hard tops
MrBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:38 AM   #23
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Drove a Boxster to work as usual. Nothing happened today, I enjoyed driving her. Oil changes are in October.
So this morning, when I parked and got out of my car, this happened:

...and to the OP, +1 to the comments posted about the radiator fans. I had only one fan working for quite a while I suspect, but didn't realize it until the other one failed too. The fans were actually good, but the resistors went bad. Here's the inexpensive fix: Low Speed Fan Resistor Alternative
Here's one of many old threads about the problem: Radiator Fan and overheating
Old 09-16-2019, 09:21 PM   #24

I drove my 911 for about 10 years as a daily, with the exception of really deep snowy and very icy days. My Boxster gets to live a little more luxury and is the “fun” car. My Jeep gets the daily duties these days. But to what Stone and others have said... drive it. Do usual routine maintenance, fix things as they break/are needed. There are certainly some good basics to do ahead of time, but also as mentioned, you could chase your tail forever on that. Drive it like you stole it, it will tell you when it needs some lovin’!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Replace the water pump if you don’t know when it was last done. If it’s 18 years old the plastic impeller blades may be cracked or broken. Check the motor mount while you’re in there and replace it if it’s shot.
Been thinking that. The temp is really stable unless I get stuck in heavy traffic on a really hot day, but as soon as I start moving it comes right back down. Seems like a smart play, though -- thanks!
~jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof3 View Post
Drive it like you stole it, it will tell you when it needs some lovin’!
That's pretty much my plan -- I drive it like it was meant to be driven, but I listen hard for the signs that lovin' is needed . . . thanks!
Old 09-17-2019, 04:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
...and to the OP, +1 to the comments posted about the radiator fans. I had only one fan working for quite a while I suspect, but didn't realize it until the other one failed too. The fans were actually good, but the resistors went bad. Here's the inexpensive fix: Low Speed Fan Resistor Alternative
Here's one of many old threads about the problem: Radiator Fan and overheating
Thanks for the tip!