Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2019, 05:19 AM   #21

As a non-mechanic I have a question........ Do the newer Porsche engines still have the same design (ie: IMS bearing)?....or has it been eliminated in subsequent years? If so, what year did they eliminate the problematic IMS bearing?

Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:35 AM   #22
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
As a non-mechanic I have a question........ Do the newer Porsche engines still have the same design (ie: IMS bearing)?....or has it been eliminated in subsequent years? If so, what year did they eliminate the problematic IMS bearing?
Yes. . . . 2009 and later.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:12 AM   #23

There's a Jake Raby video about diagnosing the IMSB. First sign of failure is a bunch of oil around the exterior of the bearing. I guess before deciding, I'd want to do an inspection. Look at the back of the engine, look at the oil filter, and pull the oil pan down.

Of course, replace the rear main seal. Cheap, no brainer. The IMSB is a relatively cheap thing to do, compared to replacing an engine. Even if you would find a cheap replacement, doing the R&R is not cheap if you're paying someone $100 per hour to do it.

But remember you're doing stuff to a 20+ year old car. Of arguable value and collectability.

Have a nice day!:troll:
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:21 AM   #24
M9G
2002 2.7 Boxster in green

From what I gather its not as common as its made out to be and as long as a car is serviced regular then no need. As the saying goes 'if it aint broke......'

The only way i'd get mine done as a matter of precaution if I was having a clutch change would be if I had absolutely no history of the vehicle and it was at very little cost

Last edited by M9G; 10-01-2019 at 07:28 AM.
M9G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:42 AM   #25
MYRX

Well, when I started looking for a Boxster S, I selected only those that had the IMS already replaced. Looking back, I probably passed up some good buys. But I have a 2000 S that has the IMS solution installed in 2018...I do sleep a little better.
MYRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:34 AM   #26

Thanks.....My 20 year old Boxster with 80,000 miles is in great condition and I enjoy driving it. But IF my IMS were to ever "take a crap" I don't think I would spend the money to replace the engine (I'm NOT a DIY guy). Instead, I'd sell the car to someone who wants to drop a new engine in it and put the money towards a newer one. Maybe in the 2010 to 2013 range with a complete service history.
Having said that (and hopefully I will never have to) are there sources to sell a beautiful Boxster, in every way, except with a trashed engine? I'm not knowlegeable about part of the business.

Rob175 is offline   Reply With Quote