Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
ISSIMI

Budget lightweight battery install

I have been driving for the past couple days with a 15lb battery and so far so good. Strong cranks, even on short trips.

The battery is a tempest bab26-12. I learned about it while on lotustalk forums where it was received well. Advertised as 15lb but my weight scale came in at 14.9lb. My stock battery, which was an interstate weighed 43.4lb. I'll update with a review on the tempest if anyone is interested.

15lb battery $93 shipped
custom bracket and L hooks $8
husky tie down strap $7
xs power SAE short terminals $10
2x m5 philips screw $ 1
(optional) jumper cables $17

Most_Wanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:49 PM   #2

Good deal and great price on lightweight battery. I've never really understood this from a street car perspective. Do you track your car? 30lbs is ~2HP. How much to the jumper cables weigh?

Sorry, nice set up and I'm not dissing your decision, I wouldn't want to mess with it for everyday driving.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #3
ISSIMI

It's an addiction. Similar to those who chase every last HP. The lighter battery for DD use concerned me but it was inexpensive and I wanted to see how it performs. The jumpers were 3lb heavy gauge but I place them at the bottom of the frunk for lower CD. Weight reduction just fascinates me. Like how Porsche uses a decal emblem on their GT car to save a grams or 2. It all adds up. I'd estimate I've dropped at least 100lb so far.

lw batt
fixed back sparco seat
remove rear speaker storage
headers/catback
No spare/tools only tow hook
remove sound deadening from engine carpets

The more you remove/replace the less streetable/refined it becomes though. It all depends on how much you can tolerate.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:30 PM   #4
NewUserName

Not sure it'd cut it in below zero temperatures, but great it works for you.
DoninDel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:01 PM   #5

I also recently fitted a lightweight battery. My reasoning was more for space rather than weight as I wanted to fit my charge cooler tank where the battery sits. I laid the battery on it's side and put the tank over it. My battery has also be fine starting the car but i've fitted a cut off switch so it doesn't drain over time.

Escy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:43 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

You might want to measure the parasitic power draw to figure out how long the battery can sit and still start the car. Knowing this can provide a good amount of peace of mind.

It's a very easy measurement and simple calculation: Parasitic Power Draw and Battery Capacity
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:48 PM   #7
ISSIMI

I would of laid my batt flatt too but the post made contact with the firewall.

I'm seeing 11.7v a few moments after shut down and the same voltage after 1 day sitting. Not driving the car today so we'll see what the voltage is tomorrow. I also disconnected the trunk and door card lights but might replace with LED. I do have the factory alarm still active.

It rarely gets below 50 degrees here but cold start was a concern.