Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #1

PSM = Phun Stopping Mechanism ?

Seriously. That PSM thing ruins my day. I ALWAYS forget to shut it off as soon as I fire up the engine, end up getting nose dived into a fast turn, then repeatedly slap my forehead while looking around to be sure nobody saw my embarrasing Tom Foolery.

I'm sure it is very helpful, and grand for safety, rain, sleet, snow, hail, small asteroids, but, boy oh boy does it take the phun out of driving.

Granted, I always take off fast, always take corners in a "spirited" way because I and the car can take it (when no one else is nearby posing a threat), but it's like it kicks me in the nads every time it kicks in.

Am I alone here? Maybe mine sucks, or is broken, feels like it kills the engine and maybe applies lots of break to the outside wheel on turns where something it breaking loose. I much prefer it OFF, and doing the break loose thing which is always controlled in my hands. The thing lets loose, and then softly reconnects like melted butter! Love the Boxster, hate the PSM!!!!!

wwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #2

Maybe there is something wrong with your system. Or maybe you have tires that are different sizes from the OEM specifications and the difference in front to rear circumferences is causing the PSM to misinterpret something. I just drove 3 days in an HPDE and my PSM didn't affect me at all - my street tires were making some noise but I wasn't close to losing it. Granted, my performance level is pretty low and I am far from the limit. On the other hand, my instructor was having an issue with his 2013 Boxster S as he was running racing tires in larger than stock sizes with a greater than standard circumference difference, and his PSM would kick in on certain corners and totally cut his throttle.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Lots of different versions of PSM so model and year of car is helpful for the best answers. Usually learning to drive within the PSM envelope is a good thing but if your brakes, wheels or tires are far off OEM specs it will cause PSM to get manic and VERY intrusive. Need more specifics on your car and tire sizes to be more helpful.

Last edited by Topless; 07-08-2019 at 09:22 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:34 AM   #4

I think it is a 2002 Boxster (I forget) with smallest engine.
Tires seem like basic stock setup - wheels look like factory kind but I am new to all of it, so not sure. Back tires are a little bigger than fronts
Old 07-09-2019, 07:20 AM   #5
Who's askin'?

The two replies you've received below are pretty valuable. If for no other reason than that they illustrate something very important about answers you get on the internet.

PaulE has suggested that his "performance level is very low", while Topless is among the fastest guys you'll meet on this forum. This is important information to take into consideration as you accept comments, advice, opinion, etc: Perspectives will vary greatly.

Both of them have given you the same place to start though: Make sure your system is working correctly. Start by checking your tire sizes are near factory circumference. Width doesn't matter so much for the PSM to work correctly. If your car is an '02 Base, then, IIUC, you should have something close to a 205/45/17 front, 245/40/17 rear. Again: the circumference is what matters, and specifically their circumference as it relates to front/rear.

From there, I'd also echo what Topless has said about learning to drive within the limits of the PSM. Not because it's gonna make you slow down: on the contrary. Smooth is fast (I learned that on Days of Thunder, haha). But fer reals: if you can keep the wheels pointed where you want them to be pointed, you'll go faster around any given course.

Having said that: There's a certain "hooligan" element. I have it, and it sounds like you have it. It'll probably be frowned-on here by many.... but I like to hang the a$$-end out on occasion as well. The PSM can really suck the fun out of that, if you've forgotten and left it on. haha.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:27 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd View Post
I think it is a 2002 Boxster (I forget) with smallest engine.
Tires seem like basic stock setup - wheels look like factory kind but I am new to all of it, so not sure. Back tires are a little bigger than fronts
Inside driver's side door jam will have a plate with the mfg date and stock tire sizes. On the side of the tires you will find the model of tire and size. Knowing your car and your contact patch is the first step in diagnosing a handling problem.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Having said that: There's a certain "hooligan" element. I have it, and it sounds like you have it. It'll probably be frowned-on here by many.... but I like to hang the a$$-end out on occasion as well. The PSM can really suck the fun out of that, if you've forgotten and left it on. haha.
This! I know how to corner well enough, and having recently bought this car, I find it hard to LEARN what it can do while it's cutting power and breaking for me in a known controlled situation. GRRRR I get what it is doing and why, but yes, it's a PHUN STOPPING MECHANISM
Old 07-09-2019, 12:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Inside driver's side door jam will have a plate with the mfg date and stock tire sizes. On the side of the tires you will find the model of tire and size. Knowing your car and your contact patch is the first step in diagnosing a handling problem.
I'll get the details, but pretty sure it is working as designed: to keep me from sliding all over... which is what I like to do, because it is PHUN
Old 07-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #9

I've taken corners pretty hot in the last few years, and the PSM has only made itself known twice. Both times were due to surface debris.
Old 07-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
I'll get the details, but pretty sure it is working as designed: to keep me from sliding all over... which is what I like to do, because it is PHUN

When I was looking for a Boxster S in 2003 I mostly focused on 2000's because it was the 1st year PSM was available, so easier to find one without PSM. If you turn off PSM it can turn back on during certain "maneuvers".
Old 07-10-2019, 04:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
If you turn off PSM it can turn back on during certain "maneuvers".
wait... ... WHAT??? Surely, this is not true???
Old 07-10-2019, 05:56 AM   #12
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
wait... ... WHAT??? Surely, this is not true???
True enough. I am betting there is a tire mismatch in sizes or compound causing the PSM to over-react. PS2 on the front and All Season on the rear would certainly cause this.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #13

oddly, I don't find any info on either side doors. hmmmm. anyway, looks like I have larger that stock tires: 18 over the 17 or 16. No worries. I'm just annoyed when I leave PSM on, preferring to manually control my drives (excpet ABS, that's nice )

Old 07-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #14
Certified Boxster Addict

My 99 has the original Traction Control (TC) which predated PSM. It's a joy killer. Might as well have my wife in the passenger seat yelling at me to slow down.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
If you turn off PSM it can turn back on during certain "maneuvers".
Can anyone comment on this? Does off not mean FULLY off for PSM?
Old 08-01-2019, 05:21 AM   #16

Quote:
oddly, I don't find any info on either side doors. hmmmm. anyway, looks like I have larger that stock tires: 18 over the 17 or 16. No worries. I'm just annoyed when I leave PSM on, preferring to manually control my drives (excpet ABS, that's nice )

That is because the sticker is actually inside the gas flap.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:36 AM   #17
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Can anyone comment on this? Does off not mean FULLY off for PSM?
Confirmed. "Off" means mostly off unless you activate ABS or slide the car. Then Fritz the magic PSM wizard reactivates to prevent you from hurting your car or yourself. In a 986/987 it is pretty intrusive. In a 981 it is practically unnoticeable but still corrects your line with throttle and brake application.

Can this be completely disabled? Yes but it is complicated and affects many other systems on the car.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:13 AM   #18
Racer Boy

In addition to mismatched tires, the PSM may be activating because you are driving poorly. If you are jerking things around enough to wake up Mr. PSM, then you should examine why that is, especially if this is happening during street driving.

I'm not saying it couldn't be something technical that is causing to activate the PSM too soon, but it also could just be you.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
In addition to mismatched tires, the PSM may be activating because you are driving poorly. If you are jerking things around enough to wake up Mr. PSM, then you should examine why that is, especially if this is happening during street driving.

I'm not saying it couldn't be something technical that is causing to activate the PSM too soon, but it also could just be you.
It IS how I am driving. I want complete, full, manual control of exceeding the limits. Oh well.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #20

2003 S. 225/40/18 265/35/18. New suspension, tyres and brakes. No problems with the PSM at all.

Only thing i don't like is that it cuts power in close corners when driving on windy black forest roads and serpentines. But that also helps to reduce tyre wear noticably. Also i can keep up with my other Porsche friends that drive 400+ HP Porsches. So definitely not too slow.

If you don't like the PSM and can't arrange with it because your driving skills are too bad to adapt to it, you'll just need to buy another car. Something that is older and has no assistant systems or something that is newer, where you can switch off all assistants.

The 986 is designed to be fast, not to be a drift machine. In race competition drifting makes slow. If you want a drift machine, buy a front engine car with rwd and no assistant systems. Corvette C4 or Corvette C5. BMW E30, an old Supra…

Just my 2 cents…